SASS Wire Forum

SOLD: Black Powber Pistol and Holster

Hot Iron Hill

Ok, what caliber is it?

I'll try to answer that.  It looks to be a 36 because the cylinder is straight and no larger front half like a 44.  The 44 would have a two-step frame to accommodate the larger cylinder. 

59993d38e5350_Pietta51navy44sAug2017.jpg.a71a1a428913545bd2e4f1fc3e68004f.jpg

Here is my 51 Confederate Navy 44s. Note the cylinder and related frame shape.

It's an Armi San Marco replica of a 36 cal Schneider and Glassick that was made in 1990.

It looks like just a brass frame 1851 Colt Navy to me.  How is the Schneider and Glassick different.  I don't think I've ever heard of that one.

Angus

Thanks for the link Warden.

It is different in that Colt never made a brass framed 1851 Navy.  Schneider and Glassick made something like less than 25 brass (gunmetal) framed pistols before they had to dodge the Union Army. They never got their manufacturing plant into operation.  It is the Italian replica makers that popularized the fantasy Brass 1851 Navy.

It is different in that Colt never made a brass framed 1851 Navy. .....   It is the Italian replica makers that popularized the fantasy Brass 1851 Navy......

I knew that part.  I did not know that the brass framed '51 Navy was actually a copy of a real gun.  I always thought it was just a cheap way to market a copy of the '51 Navy for modern consumers.  Has it ever been advertised in the modern market as a "Schneider and Glassick"?  I've only ever seen them listed as copies of the 1851 Colt Navy.  The similarity makes perfect sense considering S&G were trying to copy Colt's Navy.

I have a brass framed Navy that is broken.  I've been meaning to put it on a wall placque.  I'll have to tag it as a Schneider and Glassick.  That ought to peak some interest.

I done learnt somethin' today.  Thanks folks.

Angus

• 3 weeks later...

Archived