SASS Wire Forum

General Ledger

I've been using my 550 for years and am thinking about buying a case feeder and possibly a bullet feeder.  Does anyone use a case feeder and/or bullet feeder? If so,  do they work well? Any recommended brand over another to sue with my 550? 

Thanks!

GL

I don't think a bullet feeder works with lubed lead bullets. My understanding is that the bullets have to be powder-coated or jacketed to work.

I have case feeders on both my Dillon presses.  They are both 650s so that doesn't help much, but the feeders work a treat.  Go for the feeder, get a Dillon. Can't help with the bullet feeder at all though.  Don't have one, not interested in one, don't need one and they don't work with greasy lead bullets.

I have a case feeder and a bullet feeder on my Dillon 75&650.  Both work very good but to use the bullet feeder you need to give up a die position and if I am correct the 550 only has 4 to start with.  The Mr Bullet feeder that I use can only use jacket or poly coated bullets, greasy lead bullets will gum up the workings.  Don’t buy the aftermarket case feeder because it tends to jam a lot.  The one from Dillon is very dependable.

After many years I finally put a case feeder on my 550. The case feeder has been problem free and now I wish I had bought it a long time ago!

Thought about the bullet feeder but with lack of die holes on the 550 not really practical.

I also have a 650 but don't want to give up my powder check for a bullet feeder.

I ran a Mr. BulletFeeder on my 650 for awhile. I used a combo seat & crimp die & didn't have to give up the powder check, which I would never do. The Mr. BulletFeeder worked great, but just as with any piece of machinery, you have to fix a problem from time to time. Sometimes a bullet will stick in the tube/hose. Sometimes it'll start feeding multiple bullets. I moved to a 1050, & hung the Mr. BulletFeeder on the case feeder, but haven't gotten around to setting it up otherwise. My hand is right by the seater die station, & it's so easy to just set the bullet on there. And, I don't have to fix an occasional malfunction. When I think about adding the seat/crimp die & changing the powder funnel that comes with the Mr. BulletFeeder, I just can't get myself to make the time for it. I really like not having to deal with a malfunction from time-to-time. There aren't many, but it's just another thing I don't have to do.You know, usual mechanical stull. Anyway, as others have said, in the 550 you could use a bullet feeder if you don't use a powder check & if use a combo seater/feeder.

I wouldn't run volume bullets without a powder check. One squib will cause a lot of pain.

I may hook the feeder back up sometime in the future, so I'm not ready to sell it.

I ran a Mr. BulletFeeder on my 650 for awhile. I used a combo seat & crimp die & didn't have to give up the powder check, which I would never do. The Mr. BulletFeeder worked great, but just as with any piece of machinery, you have to fix a problem from time to time. Sometimes a bullet will stick in the tube/hose. Sometimes it'll start feeding multiple bullets. I moved to a 1050, & hung the Mr. BulletFeeder on the case feeder, but haven't gotten around to setting it up otherwise. My hand is right by the seater die station, & it's so easy to just set the bullet on there. And, I don't have to fix an occasional malfunction. When I think about adding the seat/crimp die & changing the powder funnel that comes with the Mr. BulletFeeder, I just can't get myself to make the time for it. I really like not having to deal with a malfunction from time-to-time. There aren't many, but it's just another thing I don't have to do.You know, usual mechanical stull. Anyway, as others have said, in the 550 you could use a bullet feeder if you don't use a powder check & if use a combo seater/feeder.

I wouldn't run volume bullets without a powder check. One squib will cause a lot of pain.

I may hook the feeder back up sometime in the future, so I'm not ready to sell it.

Guess I could have mentioned, I use a 1050 for volume 38's, a 650 for volume 32's (for my wife), & I use the 550 I started with to correct train-wrecks from  the other two, & to make black powder bullets (hand-dipping the BP).

I put a case feeder on my 550 when Dillon came out with them for the 550. (which was a long time ago now) never regretted it.  Most I could load on the 550 before

the feeder was about 300-350 per hour now 500 is no problem and have hit just short of 600 several times .  I now have a 650 with feeder but will never give up the 

550. It has been around so long it would be like giving up one of my children.  It was bought used and originally was a 450.  Now is a full blown 550 and has been since they came

out with the upgrade, probably close to 25 years ago.  We have spent a lot of hours together.  

Archived