SASS Wire Forum

FIXED 1/3/20 - Unable to Mark Quotes in Post Replies

Garrison Joe, SASS #60708

Jan 3, 2020 -

I see the forum software maintainer got this problem fixed this morning!    Thanks, it was becoming a bit annoying.

I've tested it on Windows 7 and 10, using Firefox browser.  Works like it used to.  And QUOTE mark menu item appears in the tool bar of editor, too.

Good luck, GJ

Over the last few days, I find myself unable to mark a section of text as a quote, either by highlighting a section of a prior post and seeing a "Quote This" popup to click on, or by highlighting text I enter (or paste) and selecting the Quote Marks menu/toolbar item (because it's not on the Editor menu any more). 

Are other pards having this problem?  I've tried both Firefox and Explorer browsers (on my Windows 7 computer) and neither are Quoting now.  I've also checked my ability to Quote a message in the Wild Bunch forum - that still works well.  Yes, I know the WB forum is a different Bulletin Board software than the (Cowboy) Wire is using.  

(Moving this to the Wire FAQ would be acceptable, especially if there is a solution to the problem!)

Thanks, GJ

Over the last few days, I find myself unable to mark a section of text as a quote, either by highlighting a section of a prior post and seeing a "Quote This" popup to click on, or by highlighting text I enter (or paste) and selecting the Quote Marks menu/toolbar item (because it's not on the Editor menu any more). 

Are other pards having this problem?  I've tried both Firefox and Explorer browsers and neither are Quoting now.  I've also checked my ability to Quote a message in the Wild Bunch forum - that still works well.  Yes, I know the WB forum is a different Bulletin Board software than the (Cowboy) Wire is using.  

(Moving this to the Wire FAQ would be acceptable, especially if there is a solution to the problem!)

Thanks, GJ

This quote was produced by clicking the "Multi-quote" (clicked the "+" button at the bottom of the original post.   That still seems to work.   Some ways of quoting work, others are gone.  Really seems like a recent upgrade may have broken something.   BUT, I see other recent posts from today in which pards are doing quoted text sections!

The behavior of making a text selection on the original post, shows an almost solid heavy border popup dialog, with no text saying "Quote This"    It used to be a thinner border on the popup and had the tool tip text in it, and then clicking Quote This popup would start a reply with the selected text placed in a quote box with the original poster's name as a title to the box.

Good luck, GJ

The behavior of making a text selection on the original post, shows an almost solid heavy border popup dialog, with no text saying "Quote This"    It used to be a thinner border on the popup and had the tool tip text in it, and then clicking Quote This popup would start a reply with the selected text placed in a quote box with the original poster's name as a title to the box.

Hmmm, This is the part I highlighted...….seems to work ok. Good Luck:)

Mostly I use Apple iOS devices.  It is easiest to do an all, or none, on quotes.  It is technically possible to pick out a phrase or a sentence but is is a real hassle.  Windows is easy, I just don’t use a ‘real’ computer much anymore.

Well, Warden has the dialog box style that I am now seeing, but he got the quote mechanics to work.  I still can't get it to quote that into my post. That tool tip popup used to say "Quote This?" (or something similar).

OK, more testing done, and I got the very tip of the pointer into the white of the inside of the tool tip box before clicking, and THAT makes the quote tool tip work, as shown below quoting from WC's post.

The little drop-down box is just a black square with a - sign in it

(said WC)

The "Quote This" tool tip method USED to put the poster's name who you quoted into the gray title area.  As you can see, that part of the quoting mechanics is still broken, too!

Moderators - do you know if a software upgrade was applied to the Invision message board software recently?  It's like the "phrase" for the system to put in the quote tool tip, and the quote menu item (actual double-quote marks) have been removed from the editing menu bar that appears at the top of the editor.  This almost could be a configuration setting that got switched to "disallow quoting" or something similar in the Invision configuration......

Thanks, GJ

Well, Warden has the dialog box style that I am now seeing, but he got the quote mechanics to work.  I still can't get it to quote that into my post. That tool tip popup used to say "Quote This?" (or something similar).

OK, more testing done, and I got the very tip of the pointer into the white of the inside of the tool tip box before clicking, and THAT makes the quote tool tip work, as shown below quoting from WC's post.

The "Quote This" tool tip method USED to put the poster's name who you quoted into the gray title area.  As you can see, that part of the quoting mechanics is still broken, too!

Moderators - do you know if a software upgrade was applied to the Invision message board software recently?  It's like the "phrase" for the system to put in the quote tool tip, and the quote menu item (actual double-quote marks) have been removed from the editing menu bar that appears at the top of the editor.  This almost could be a configuration setting that got switched to "disallow quoting" or something similar in the Invision configuration......

Thanks, GJ

There is at least one other thread regarding recent software issues(I'm too lazy to search for it this morning). Yes, Invision recently upgraded. Yes, the moderators know and have passed it up the chain.

I just went ahead and poked the black box and it worked.   I suspect they have the text height set to 0 or something. 

I had similar problems cleaning out my message box.  The popup to confirm delete was just an empty box except for a small gray box and a black box.  No text.  I selected the black box and it worked. 

Reminds me of an application programmer I worked with.  He'd wait until after normal work hours to install new major changes.  Then go on vacation for a week.

Hi Warden,

"Reminds me of an application programmer I worked with.  He'd wait until after normal work hours to install new major changes.  Then go on vacation for a week" :lol:.

Perfect timing for that to be the case as the implementation occurred over the Thanksgiving weekend.

IMNSHO, this is an example of no or poor Regression Testing. That is where someone (independent from the programmer) tests that no features are broken that once worked when programming changes or additions are implemented.

Once when I was the Wire Administrator a programmer for the software provider enlisted a cowboy/user to test for him. Seriously unprofessional! So, I don't have high expectations for any modifications by this company.

Regards,

Allie

PS In my last working life, I was a System Tester. Our job was to test that new or modified programs played well with the other programs. Playing well included things like did not lose features that worked well before the change. That is what Regression Testing should ensure.

I wrote and maintained engineering applications for some 15 years.  I had one guy that was my "crash dummy".  I'd check with him to see if the changes were working in the real world.   There were 15 to 30 users of the programs I maintained but most would never report back any problems as long as there was a work-around.   I'd ask them why they didn't say something.  Their reply was that they figured I'd get around to fixing it sometime. 

IMNSHO, this is an example of no or poor Regression Testing. 
That is where someone (independent from the programmer) 
tests that no features are broken that once worked 
when programming changes or additions are implemented.

Allie - I had the same problem with customers for financial software implementations that we developed and installed when I as working.

PS, the coding for the <> command box has been revised - not for the better :angry:

Archived