SASS Wire Forum

Case Road Locomotive

Sedalia Dave

World's Largest Steam Engine Reborn in South Dakota

"In the steam engine hobby, it has a huge legacy. It's like the Titanic of the tractors. I mean it was the biggest one ever produced and none of them survived."

That's the way Kory Anderson describes the world's only Case 150 steam engine that he rebuilt from just the original boiler and revealed this year at the James Valley Threshing Show in Andover, S.D. "The road locomotive was basically lost in history. I mean, none had survived over the last 100 years. All the nine that were built were eventually scrapped and so it was kind of lost in history until we recreated it and brought it back to life in September of this year," he says.

According to Anderson, a modern-day tractor would be about a third of the torque and power of the 150. "I mean, just to give you an idea of the size of this tractor, it's about 15 feet wide, 14 feet tall and about 28 feet long and it weighs about 75,000 pounds fully loaded. So it's significantly more than the largest tractor that's built today, which the largest quad track is about 62,000 pounds."

The Legendary 150 HP Case Steam Engine

I've long loved the sound of a steam traction engine at labor!

Archived