SASS Wire Forum

Military side matches

Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104

So I'm contemplating starting to shoot BAMM/GAMM side matches.  BAMM is pretty straight forward with low power lead bullets with or without gas checks.  

Now with GAMM, what are folks using for loads and are those loads sufficient to cycle the action?

To function the Garand I use imr 4895 35.8 grains with a 170 gc hitek bullet from quality cast bullets in Roswell,NM. GAMM is not an official side match but sure seem to be a lot of places interested in it. On a note about primers.....they make a specific primer that can be purchased for reloading the Garand but another trick is to seat slightly below flush or do both. GAMM is a hoot! Enjoy! Dusty B.

For the Garand, I tend to use GI surplus, and it's not been a problem.  Both times!  Of course, that's generic stuff.   For some reason they would not let me use the ones that had black paint on the tips of the bullets....

I had some red tipped stuff once too, (one round) but it would not cycle the action.  If memory serves, I shot that off my back porch back in the days before houses were built behind me and there was no anti-discharge law.   

To function the Garand I use imr 4895 35.8 grains with a 170 gc hitek bullet from quality cast bullets in Roswell,NM. GAMM is not an official side match but sure seem to be a lot of places interested in it. On a note about primers.....they make a specific primer that can be purchased for reloading the Garand but another trick is to seat slightly below flush or do both. GAMM is a hoot! Enjoy! Dusty B.

Do you gas check them?

We haven't shot a GAMM yet, but we've talked about doing it.  Our plan is armor plate targets and milspec ammunition.

It's a pretty long day trip to Ridgecrest but I'd be interested in coming over if you get something going.

JJ, yes sir I run gas check on all my surplus rifle. Quality cast has the .310 ready to go hitek coated and gas check. They also  make an 8mm in 323 and .325 and a .313 and a 6.5 Swede bullet all hitek coated with gas check ready to go for BAMM and GAMM . Good bullets with fast service and a heck of a good guy to boot. 

I always enjoy shooting my Krag at these things when everyone else is using a 1903.   I don't win, but I get a surprising number of "Where'd you get it?" type questions.

I've got about everything but a 1903.  :)  I could be competitive with my k98 Mauser but my grandson likes it so I shoot an Enfield, Steyr, Berthier, Krag, or Mosin-Nagant.  I sometimes shoot several in a six stage match.  I love shooting those old bolt actions.

It's a pretty long day trip to Ridgecrest but I'd be interested in coming over if you get something going.

I will be sure and let you know.  It would be good to see you.  Didn't you shoot Defend the Roost a time or two?  I could have you confused with somebody else.  

Local group has more a practice than a match that I call SAMM.  SemiAuto. 

While there is Garand, I bring along a real Wild Bunch Era semi in the form of a Winchester 1907.

Remington Model 8 is fine as well both having seen use in the Great War and both being a lot closer to the WB era than a Garand.

LV, I know I’ve asked you before but please tell me again about your 351. Are you using lead? Did you have to modify the inertia bar to make it run? Will it run on less than a full house load? 

Yes I use lead gas check.  No I follow old recipies for weight of the bullet in this case 180g.

I have not chronographed but a bit lower than a compressed max load ftom an old Lyman manual of 4227.  I tried Unique but evrn at max publish would not function properly.  Anyway from the manual and making a rough guess probably under 1700 fps.  We usually just put up a cowboy steel target out 100m (no idea on the rating but told no jaceted rounds please), and when I hit it just makes a nice BAMM style ring.  We only allow BAMM at 1600 fps with lead gas check fine bullets.

So far I have found must load near max to get reliable.  My 1907 is more than likely an old guard turn in rifle that then sat mostly unused.  In very good shape but even though the gun smith opened it up and went through and cleaned guessing spring is still pretty stiff.  As I mentioned a top amount of Unique 11gs did not quite do the job.  Most reloading sites said imr 4227 was the preferred powder.

Old manual says best accuracy load is 171g bullet with 4227 near max of 19.5g but it list this load at 1900 fps which is a bit high to me. 

I’ve got a couple of these and a few 10 round mags. Neat old rifle. I experimented a little without success and went on to other projects. I think it might be time to return to this one. Thank you for your help. Dusty

Lyman cast bullet handbook has plenty of case bullet loads that should cycle a semi auto. Some 30-06 loads exceed 2500 fps.

Keep in mind you need the bullets to be properly sized for the barrel they will be fired in. You absolutely need the PROPER LUBE for the job. Hardness matters but remember Elmer Keith developed the 44 magnum shooting his favorite alloy of 16-1 cast lead.

I have not tried yet but Bear Creek indicates they have a coated cast 351 sized bullet at 170g.  lyman manual has loadings for 171g so figure close enough.   Might give them a try.

Western bullet is where I got my 180gs.  Bertram brass still makes brass and I picked mine up ftom Grafs.

Mine came with a 10 and 5 round mag, never seen the 20.  I also got with the rifle the otiginal leather magazine holder.

Triple K makes reproduction 10 round mags but some reading indicates they may not work as well as the originals.

Anyway while not easy there is still components around for reloading.

I think the mini series The Son btought some interest in this old rifle.

Archived