SASS Wire Forum

British Submachine Guns

Subdeacon Joe

I built a STEN  on a Form 1 in 1986 just before the ban. Not counting the tax stamp I maybe have $250 in it. Once I got a bug worked out with the help of a local Meineke Muffler shop it is very reliable. Yes it is fun to shoot too.  

Me shooting mine.

I was fortunate that I was in a unit that had numerous foreign weapons in the arms room. Got to fire Uzis, Stens, AKs, RPDs, PPSHs, Soumis,M-38 Berettas, etc.

In 1983 the $200 tax was probably more than the cost of the gun.

This one was $300 and it was a carbine. The guy said it was a “Sterling 9mm Assault Rifle”. It has a longer barrel so it wouldn’t be considered an SBR. I was very interested until he said he had the “full auto kit for $60 more” then he and his buddy got really weird looks while waiting for my answer. I suspected a sting of some sort and told them “No thanks” and walked away. Both guys looked and acted like cops. (No offense meant) They just seemed out of their element yet confident...like cops on a sting. 

This was at a gun show in northern San Diego County back in ‘83. 

This one was $300 and it was a carbine. The guy said it was a “Sterling 9mm Assault Rifle”. It has a longer barrel so it wouldn’t be considered an SBR. I was very interested until he said he had the “full auto kit for $60 more” then he and his buddy got really weird looks while waiting for my answer. I suspected a sting of some sort and told them “No thanks” and walked away. Both guys looked and acted like cops. (No offense meant) They just seemed out of their element yet confident...like cops on a sting. 

This was at a gun show in northern San Diego County back in ‘83. 

Good undercover cops don’t act like cops. So they either weren’t good or they weren’t cops. :D

Good undercover cops don’t act like cops. So they either weren’t good or they weren’t cops. :D

I will defer to your professional experience. They just acted funny regarding the full auto kit, which I would not have purchased, regardless. Maybe they thought I was a cop...Who knows. 

Edit:
Ha! Maybe I should have said “TV cops on a sting” ;)

I will defer to your professional experience. They just acted funny regarding the full auto kit, which I would not have purchased, regardless. Maybe they thought I was a cop...Who knows. 

Edit:
Ha! Maybe I should have said “TV cops on a sting” ;)

:lol:

Archived