SASS Wire Forum

Australian Submachine Gun

Subdeacon Joe

This one replaced the Owen. I carried one of these for a couple of years as an Armoured Vehicle crew commander. Despite what he said the sight was fairly robust and I don't recall ever breaking one (Not bad in Tanks and APC's). It was a hoot to shoot and pretty accurate at SMG range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaBZC9t9Q3o&feature=emb_rel_pause 

Fun to shoot but 9mm was never going to cut it once you got out of close quarter confrontations...now the M60 was definitely a better option ..heavier to carry but packed the grunt !!

Fun to shoot but 9mm was never going to cut it once you got out of close quarter confrontations...now the M60 was definitely a better option ..heavier to carry but packed the grunt !!

Why stop there, when .50cal speaks everyone listens:D

Yup.
Any smg is less than successful outside that roll. A friend of mine was with the 77th INF Div in the Pacific. He carried a Thompson with a JASCO, Joint Assault Signal Company. They called in Air, Arty and naval gunfire. I asked him how he liked the Thompson. He said it was great on Guam, Leyte, and Ie Shima, but when they got to the wide open spaces and rice paddies on Okinawa he wished he had a Garand.

If you are an armored fighting vehicle crew man you like have more and bigger guns at your disposal.  My M706E2s had a 7.62 and a .50 on each one, and we usually had a couple more M60s at the rear top hatch and in the side hatches, too.  Throw in a 40mm grenade tosser (we had a Mk19 on the outside mount on the cupola), a couple of LAWs, and the crew's personal weapons (generally M14s or repurposed AKs) and you were good to go.

We just bristled with unpleasantness.

If you are an armored fighting vehicle crew man you like have more and bigger guns at your disposal.  My M706E2s had a 7.62 and a .50 on each one, and we usually had a couple more M60s at the rear top hatch and in the side hatches, too.  Throw in a 40mm grenade tosser (we had a Mk19 on the outside mount on the cupola), a couple of LAWs, and the crew's personal weapons (generally M14s or repurposed AKs) and you were good to go.

We just bristled with unpleasantness.

Some genius at division HQ in Phouc Vinh decided to send me and two squads out to ambush some locals who were lobbing rockets into the area every night.  I guess it was disturbing the General’s sleep. It was late in the afternoon and it was decided to transport us out and drop us off in 2 M706s the MPs had. We got a couple of klicks outside the wire and one of em broke down. Then darkness dropped on us like a wet poncho. So the MP drivers, much to their dismay, had to stay with us all night. I wasn’t happy being with the large RPG magnets and stayed up all night waiting for the boom- swoosh of an incoming aB40. But it was nice having the 50 Cals. Fortunately the ambush was a bust. In the morning they sent out another funny car with a repairman. Ended up towing it back.

A92516F2-9B1C-4D66-BDE5-20205C12F327.jpeg

Some genius at division HQ in Phouc Vinh decided to send me and two squads out to ambush some locals who were lobbing rockets into the area every night.  I guess it was disturbing the General’s sleep. It was late in the afternoon and it was decided to transport us out and drop us off in 2 M706s the MPs had. We got a couple of klicks outside the wire and one of em broke down. Then darkness dropped on us like a wet poncho. So the MP drivers, much to their dismay, had to stay with us all night. I wasn’t happy being with the large RPG magnets and stayed up all night waiting for the boom- swoosh of an incoming aB40. But it was nice having the 50 Cals. Fortunately the ambush was a bust. In the morning they sent out another funny car with a repairman. Ended up towing it back.

A92516F2-9B1C-4D66-BDE5-20205C12F327.jpeg

That looks like my babies, but we had revolving Cupola with .50 and 7.62 in "turret mounts" on the front.  The grenade launcher was on an external pintle on the right of the cupola right above the 7.62.  Had another external pintle next to the roof hatch at the right rear and a pair of "home made "swing away" MG mounts above the doors.

I'd like to find one at a reasonable price.  I'd Winnebago-ize it and go out on the freeway totally fearless.

Archived