SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 1897 Pump Action Locking

Mike McLellan

The gun looks to be in good condition from the photos.  Check the flag to be sure it is coming up as you close the gun.  I relay my stupid story because when it happens for real, it is a better reminder than when you hear about the possibility.

There are two screws with the same thread that can be reversed that will cause the "flag" (shell retainer) to not come up. One is slightly longer than the other one. I can't remember which ones they are but if you PM Marauder, he will probably know. If the flag doesn't come up, there is the possibility that the primer on the live round could be struck by the right extractor and cause the round to go off when not in the chamber. Seen it happen, not pretty.

With the shell in the chamber and the hammer fully down (CAREFULLY!) have you tried pushing the slide FORWARD, with or without the button being depressed?  Not sure, but that might unlock the action. :unsure:

I've had this issue, and if I push forward on the slide while pushing the button (regardless of hammer position), it will unlock the action to permit me to open the action. YMMV.

the flag is the piece of metal that rises as you close the action, its purpose is to keep the shell from falling out of the receiver.  If you cycle a gun and the flag doesn't work, you can have a shell fall out and get caught in the closing.  If the right extractor strikes the primer you get an out of battery discharge.  If that happens-you get hurt, potentially badly.

It is one of the operating checks that all 97 users should perform regularly.

To check the flag, open the action.  Then watch that thin flag as you slowly close the action.  The flag should pop up as you begin to move the bolt forward. 

As Mark mentioned, the purpose is to ensure the shell does not escape.

A problem with the 1893 model was sometimes the shell could partially escape and the right cartridge guide/extractor would hit the primer and make a very bad boom.  The flag was designed to avoid that problem, so it needs to work properly.

http://marauder.homestead.com/Shotgun.html

And youtube is your friend.

Archived