SASS Wire Forum

Well, Well!

Subdeacon Joe

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/28/politics/trump-afghanistan-visit/index.html

Speaking at Bagram Air Base, Trump told troops that "the Taliban wants to make a deal. We'll see if they want to make a deal. It's got to be a real deal, but we'll see. But they want to make a deal."
Trump also held a bilateral meeting with the President of Afghanistan, Ashraf Ghani.
Following the meeting, Ghani tweeted that "both sides underscored that if the Taliban are sincere in their commitment to reaching a peace deal, they must accept a ceasefire. We also emphasized that for any peace to last, terrorist safe havens outside Afghanistan must be dismantled."
Before leaving, Trump served Thanksgiving meals to some members of the military stationed at the base.
Hopes for a peace accord between the US and Taliban in Afghanistan were dashed when Trump announced an end to formal talks in September 2019 after a Taliban-claimed attack in Kabul that killed a dozen people, including an American soldier. Trump said at the time that Taliban leaders were to travel to the US for secret peace talks, but after the attack he called off the meetings and canceled the negotiations.
Last week, Trump seemed to suggest that negotiations with the Taliban were back on -- months after the peace talks with the militant group collapsed.
"We're working on an agreement now with the Taliban," Trump said on Fox News' "Fox & Friends." "Let's see what happens."
His comments came several days after the Taliban released an American and Australian professor in exchange for the release of three Taliban prisoners by the Afghan government. The Taliban also released 10 Afghan soldiers last week.

Cypress, you are probably right...  But, if it were to happen, it might make it possible for the U.S. to get our troops out of the morass of Afghanistan.  The cynic in me says you are right.  The very cautious optimist in me says, I hope so.  Don't forget, NO one has been able to conquer Afghanistan! Ghinghis Kahn couldn't do it; the British couldn't do it; the Soviet Union couldn't do it; and we probably can't pacify it.

Cypress, you are probably right...  But, if it were to happen, it might make it possible for the U.S. to get our troops out of the morass of Afghanistan.  The cynic in me says you are right.  The very cautious optimist in me says, I hope so.  Don't forget, NO one has been able to conquer Afghanistan! Ghinghis Kahn couldn't do it; the British couldn't do it; the Soviet Union couldn't do it; and we probably can't pacify it.

What is the saying? Afghanistan is where empires go to die?  Something like that. 

I sincerely hope we can get our troops out of that sh**hole. I just can't see that appeasing those animals will last any length of time. They and their ilk, ISIS, are war criminals who have committed atrocities on the Nazi level. Gruesome murder, enslavement, rape, genocide.....you name it. I sure as hell don't want anymore of our people to get killed. I just don't think we can walk away and let them have control. Sooner or later, it'll be at our door, in a way it already is. IMO, we have to stop worrying about whose toes we step on and take them out once and for all with any and all weapons at our disposal......then leave.

:FlagAm: 

Afghanistan is like a wild animal that can't be tamed. It will never have a stable government and will always be a breeding ground for human scum. The only thing we can do is leave, and promise to drop a nuke on them next time if they ever threaten our country again.

Humpff!!  Afghanistan didn't threaten us inna first place.  9/11 Terrorists were from Saudi.  Throughout history, no one has ever pacified or successfully occupied Afghanistan.  I think someone at the top be smoking Wacki Tabacki 'cause the Taliban ain't gonna talk peace with anybody.  We just need to grab our socks and cut a chogi

Humpff!!  Afghanistan didn't threaten us inna first place.  9/11 Terrorists were from Saudi.  Throughout history, no one has ever pacified or successfully occupied Afghanistan.  I think someone at the top be smoking Wacki Tabacki 'cause the Taliban ain't gonna talk peace with anybody.  We just need to grab our socks and cut a chogi

I agree. We need to walk.

Archived