SASS Wire Forum

80% Kit Pistols

Pat Riot

Have any of you assembled one of these 80% Glock, 1911 or Sig Sauer kits?

I was looking at a Glock Gen 3 kit with a Polymer 80 frame and a “OEM style” Glock slide. I was looking for reviews for 3 different online businesses that sell these but cannot find reviews. 

1 is from Lancaster, CA

https://www.urbansurvivalarms.com/product-page/copy-of-80-glock-19-complete-build-kit

1 is from Riverside, CA

https://mdxarms.com/black-friday-deals/?utm_source=080118&utm_campaign=f0aaa169a0-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_11_25_08_51&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_02262b38de-f0aaa169a0-109831087&mc_cid=f0aaa169a0&mc_eid=b99f589227&sort=alphaasc&page=1

1 is from Prospect, PA

https://jsdsupply.com/pf940c-full-build-kit/

I just can’t find reviews on these companies outside a boatload of “Likes” on Faceplant.

And before anyone says anything let me state that 80% kits are perfectly legal in CA. They are legal to own here provided you serialize and properly document them. I know this because I looked into it through the DOJ. 

Anyone have experience with these kits? Are they as reliable as the real things?

My extent of information is scant.  I have never seen a printed review.  I'm sure there may be something on Your the Boob.  I do know one of those California manufacturers was shut down for manufacturing without a license (AR Lowers), fought it and the BATFE grudgingly recognized in the "unfinished" state it was not a Firearm hence not subject to regulation.  They include a pattern and specs for completion with your purchase.  Now, better known as "ghost guns."

I have trouble believing that they'd be as good as the real thing.

That said, I'd like to have 10 or so. Everything I have read they're fine, but that's mostly stuff on ar15.com:

site:ar15.com 80 glock

Good luck

Howdy,

You might find ktgunsmith an interesting place to spend a while.

If you contact him, just remember he has a full time job and can

still find time to do and document these projects....

Your kitchen table does have a mill, doesn't it??????

Best

CR

I don't know about these but I bought a 90% inletted and finished stock for my 81 Remington rifle and believe me when I say that last 10% is a killer.  I finally turned it over to a gunsmith friend and he corrected my mistakes and finished it.  Looks near new now.  (Say that 10 times fast.)

I don't have 1st hand experience; however, I watched a episode of Shooting Gallery which the marketing mgr. for Polymer 80 demonstrated the finishing of a Glock clone.  The kit includes a jig & mill bits required to finish it.  A drill press was used as a milling machine.  I have though of trying an 80% AR as a project; however, the biggest drawback is they can't be transferred.

P.S. The Urban Survival Arms kit includes the Polymer 80 frame, jig, drill bits & mills.  The Polymer 80% is a cost effective wat to build a custom Glock.  Rather than buying a Glock & then replacing the trigger, barrel, slid, etc.

:ph34r:  Pat--  Go to Brownell's online.  They have a today sale on black and flat dark earth frames for Glock.  The Polymer 80 kits work well.  Choose a Swenson slide to go with.  Other completion parts available from Brownell's, Midway and Lone Wolf.

Completion is actually fun.  I've finished one and am working on more.  Don't rush it.  A good drill press is helpful.  Secure clamping of jig aids accurate completion.

Kind of like Barbie for grown boys......

Breaking news!  Check  news@GAT daily.com.  Rocky Brass has purchased all of Brownell's P80 kits and are selling complete packages at significant savings.

well I had one dropped on the bench , seems as tho it would short cycle , for the owner , I have NO clue as to who put it together 

I did a bit of clean up on it , polished a couple of tight spots out , it would run for me , but the owner , still had jams 

I am forced to guess , He was limp wristing it , 

maybe it was just afraid , I would have a go at it with the BLUETIP wrench  (oxy ac torch) , it it gave me any problems 

from the #s , he gave me it cost LOTS more than getting a factory pistol 

CB 

I don't know about these but I bought a 90% inletted and finished stock oformy 81 Remington rifle and believe me when I say that last 10% is a killer.  I finally turned it over to a gunsmith friend and he corrected my mistakes and finished it.  Looks near new now.  (Say that 10 times fast.)

These are no where near as difficult. 

well I had one dropped on the bench , seems as tho it would short cycle , for the owner , I have NO clue as to who put it together 

I did a bit of clean up on it , polished a couple of tight spots out , it would run for me , but the owner , still had jams 

I am forced to guess , He was limp wristing it , 

maybe it was just afraid , I would have a go at it with the BLUETIP wrench  (oxy ac torch) , it it gave me any problems 

from the #s , he gave me it cost LOTS more than getting a factory pistol 

CB 

Today you can buy a G26, G17 or G19 Kit (9mm) for $385 - $400 plus shipping ($15?).

Well, I went ahead and ordered this one in chocolate brown for the frame snd patriot brown for the slide. 
https://www.urbansurvivalarms.com/product-page/copy-of-80-glock-19-complete-build-kit

I looked everywhere for reviews and found none so I am winging it. If they don’t come through I can always drive there. I have no reason to doubt they are reputable. I am sure if they were bad there would be plenty of info out there...this is the Internet where negativity thrives. ;)

From what I know, if you can get access to a mill it is definitely worth it. If you must use a drill press be sure the spindle doesn't have any play in it.

No matter which you use a vice that can be bolted to the table is a must.  

I've never done a Glock but I've done a couple of Polymer 80 AR lowers and I highly recommend a XY vise to go with the drill press. It makes life lots easier if you need to go from side to side as well as end to end...

:ph34r: 

I've never done a Glock but I've done a couple of Polymer 80 AR lowers and I highly recommend a XY vise to go with the drill press. It makes life lots easier if you need to go from side to side as well as end to end...

Plus 1 to this......   Harbor Freight sale was my friend!

Archived