SASS Wire Forum

Think on this for a moment

Alpo

You have recently become permanently in a wheelchair, and temporarily have a cast on your dexter hand.

How/where would you carry your gun?

I was watching the pilot to Ironside. Perry Mason is now a San Francisco detective who gets shot in the back and becomes a paraplegic. He also, for reasons that are never mentioned, has his right hand in a cast.

At one point he takes a J frame out of his left hand coat pocket, bumps his arm on the unfamiliar arm of the wheelchair, and drops the gun on the floor.

Can't lean down and pick it up - he would fall out of the chair.

My first thought was, "If you have to sit down all the time you need to go to a shoulder holster". But getting a left hand shoulder rig for the six weeks or so it will take his right hand to heal seems financially wasteful.

$60-$100 for a shoulder holster is not gonna break the bank, plus you can sell it when your right arm heals. ;)

Considering that I have been in a wheelchair for the last 40 plus years...That is one of the problems I am running into...How to carry??? Something safe and easy to get to....So far no real ideas that will work....But please keep the ideas coming...One of them might just work for me and the way I live and dress....

Texas Lizard

$60-$100 for a shoulder holster is not gonna break the bank, plus you can sell it when your right arm heals. ;)

Eight to fifteen bucks back in '67....  he could afford it!    ^_^

I don't know. Apparently gun stuff was expensive in San Francisco in 1967.

While his gun is lying on the floor they send in this black kid, Mark, that he put in jail several years before. They have a talk, where Ironside says, "You hate me, don't you? You would like to kill me wouldn't you?"

Mark tells him yeah, and Ironside points to the gun on the floor and tells him to go to it.

Mark says, "You must really think I'm stupid, to think that I would believe that gun is loaded". Picks it up, turns a little bit, points it at the window and fires.

Ironside tells him that cost him $8.35.

"$4.00 for the pane, $4.00 for the glazer, and 35¢ for my bullet."

35¢??? That's 17.50 a box for 38 lead round noses. Wowzer.

The three foot square sheet of glass and the paying the man to install it - those seemed quite cheap. But if ammo was $17.50 a box back then, I'd hate to think what a good shoulder holster would cost.

Considering that I have been in a wheelchair for the last 40 plus years...That is one of the problems I am running into...How to carry??? Something safe and easy to get to....So far no real ideas that will work....But please keep the ideas coming...One of them might just work for me and the way I live and dress....

Texas Lizard

Something like a possibles bag with a rear compartment to hold a pistol that is accessible from the side. Wear across the body for cross draw.

I knew  a retired  Texas Ranger that kept his .45 in his lap under a lap blanket . ....always . 

He said  that  he sent  a lot of  bad guys to jail  and never knew who got paroled nor when .  They  all had bad friends  too.

Said  he  carried  a .45 because  they  didn't  make  a .46.

CS  

I presume I would feel like this:

FIRST:  If I couldn't safely carry nor handle the firearm, I wouldn't carry it..... period.   Wheelchair or not.

SECOND:  if I were in a wheelchair, I would probably consider most folks, especially a thug, wouldn't

consider me a threat and would probably just want my money..... of which I would give ALL I had,  both dollars!

..........Widder

A vest,  with a large, strong, flat magnet in a thin, sewn-up pocket that’s sewn into the right side, inside of the vest.  The strong magnet holds the firearm very tightly until the left hand breaks it loose from the magnet.

A vest,  with a large, strong, flat magnet in a thin, sewn-up pocket that’s sewn into the right side, inside of the vest.  The strong magnet holds the firearm very tightly until the left hand breaks it loose from the magnet.

That sounds like experience talking. . . 

Except that Ironside was a cop, not a lawyer....;)

LL

You are right. I believe that he had an older brother that was a lawyer. They looked so much alike that people were always mistaking one for the other.^_^

I broke a metacarpal in my dominant hand once when I was a law dawg.  I had arrested an MMA fighter on his 4th DUI and he told me he was going to take my gun and kill me with it.  Then he tried.

He obviously didn't succeed, but I broke my metacarpal knocking him out.  I had to wear a cast for 3 months and when it came off, I couldn't wiggle a single finger.  The physical therapy was excruciating and lasted 4 months.  That's 7 months I sat the desk....EESH!

I refuse to be unprotected.  I shoot almost ambidextrously, so I bought a left-handed holster and carried on my weak side.  I trained regularly before the injury, so I could draw and fire one-handed with my weak hand.  So that's how I carried for 7 months.

Archived