SASS Wire Forum

Interesting Little Knife

Subdeacon Joe

The material will tell if it holds an edge but its a cool way to order and the price seems to be alright

These toys are good as letter openers, maybe.

Likely made from cheap, soft stainless steel (420?).  HOLD an edge?  No.  It’s hard to get that material to TAKE an edge.  Knife companies use cheap stainless so their tooling doesn’t wear out as it would if they were using good steel.  

i suggest you make SURE that any knife you buy for a “critical” purpose is made from a good carbon steel, and not stainless.

There are acceptable stainless alloys for knives, but usually those knives are custom pieces and are expensive.  Not only that, I’ve found the carbon steel material is still superior.

Cat Brules

These toys are good as letter openers, maybe.

Likely made from cheap, soft stainless steel (420?).  HOLD an edge?  No.  It’s hard to get that material to TAKE an edge.  Knife companies use cheap stainless so their tooling doesn’t wear out as it would if they were using good steel.  

i suggest you make SURE that any knife you buy for a “critical” purpose is made from a good carbon steel, and not stainless.

There are acceptable stainless alloys for knives, but usually those knives are custom pieces and are expensive.  Not only that, I’ve found the carbon steel material is still superior.

Cat Brules

Yep.  I did a quick search  and most sources said they use 420 stainless.   

I see these as a "display " knife that you would put in a suit pocket when you are going to a wedding or something.  Use it to trim threads or instead of the useless steak knife at a restaurant. 

I pretty much stick to my Opinels, but now and then I  get a hankering for pretty or unusual. 

Archived