SASS Wire Forum

The Truth about Trolls

Sedalia Dave

Long read but worth it. Real eye openers as to why we are so divided.

That Uplifting Tweet You Just Shared? A Russian Troll Sent ItHere’s what Russia’s 2020 disinformation operations look like, according to two experts on social media and propaganda.

Only thing I don't necessarily agree with is that it is all state sponsored. Rather I believe that it is sponsored by the people that make money off of conflict and distrust.

I don't personally know a single person who tweets, or at least admits to it. I don't. I don't belong to any social media, other than a couple of websites like this, if you can call them 'social media'.

Why does anybody take any of this stuff seriously? Why would anybody get any information, or pass any along, from Twitter, or FB, or anything else? I can just see using these things to stay in touch with scattered family. Other than that-- don't get it.

But what do I know? I see geezers my age every morning at Starbucks paying for their stuff with their smartphone aps--I pay cash. I just don't get any of it....

Fascinating and disheveling. I have suspected something like this but not from the Russians. I suspected a coordinated effort within our own higher education system. 

I don't personally know a single person who tweets, or at least admits to it. I don't. I don't belong to any social media, other than a couple of websites like this, if you can call them 'social media'.

Why does anybody take any of this stuff seriously? Why would anybody get any information, or pass any along, from Twitter, or FB, or anything else? I can just see using these things to stay in touch with scattered family. Other than that-- don't get it.

But what do I know? I see geezers my age every morning at Starbucks paying for their stuff with their smartphone aps--I pay cash. I just don't get any of it....

Partly due to physical and intellectual laziness.  We do not even need to leave our houses (or our beds) to receive world-wide "news" coverage.  Open wide, and they will channel the whole world into your mind.  No critical thinking, no concern with accuracy or sources, no analysis of reliability.  The ultimate failure of the "Free Press", which for the sake of dollars and political alignment, has abandon its primary function of finding and reporting the truth.  

I do not fear technology; used properly, it can be a huge boon to our society.  But used thoughtlessly, it is a garbage pit of gossip, lies, and inaccuracy.  I do not use Facebook or Twitter or any othe social media outside of this Wire.  In my law firm, I am regarded as a Luddite.  But that is not accurate; I simply have no time or desire for gossiping over the electronic backyard fence.  Like many others here, I have abandoned much of the popular media, and use instead a group of seemingly more reliable news sources, taking ALL with a grain of salt until and unless they can be objectively verified.  

Looking forward to vacation in the Caribbean in a couple of weeks.  Shut off the phones and the laptops for 10 days; listen to local island radio, where the news is largely related to where to find the best fishing.  Amazing how clear your mind can become if you turn off the live streaming nonsense.

LL

Anybody who thinks the US does not engage in the same, is sadly naive.

There is a comfort in turning off the news.
The evil continues while fishing, sleeping or relaxing.
It really never does go away.

In the end, there isn't much one can do about it until it comes to conflict or confiscation.
One can be vocal and vote, but it comes to nothing.
It is like pulling your hand out of a bucket of water and looking to see how big a hole is left behind.

I do not watch, listen to or seek out news these days. Amazingly enough my blood pressure is very good. I am not stressed out over things I have no control of and I steer clear of “the sky is falling” drama so I think more clearly about things that actually matter. 

Now, my actions in this regard have cost me. I wasn’t aware of all the tax law changes when they occurred. I didn’t know about some state laws that changed that slightly affect me. I do know about the impeachment efforts through bits and pieces I glean from my occasional visitation with talk radio but overall these things really do not matter in my life. I adapt, don’t dwell on them and move on. 

I look at the weather on my phone. I look at traffic on my phone. I disabled the news BS and I stay away from the leftist news feeds on other apps. 

After decades of “the sky is falling” I have decided that I do not need the heartache and manipulation.

I send the NRA a hundred bucks every couple of months and proceed with my life. 

It’ll be sunny and beautiful tomorrow. I am going to the shooting range and then I am going for a motorcycle ride somewhere. :D

Me neither. 

Archived