SASS Wire Forum

Question for Ammo Collectors

Black Angus McPherson

I've got a full box of Super Vel .45 ACP 190 gr. JHP that's in pretty good condition and I was wondering if there's any value to a collector.  I think it's marked "$14.65".

Yeah, I know, it's good to shoot.  I just figured if anyone is actually interested in it for a collection it would be better there than shot up on a range.  Plus, if I were to end up with 2 boxes of .45 ACP to shoot instead of one it's a "win-win" situation.  

Can't hurt to ask.

Angus

I've got a full box of Super Vel .45 ACP 190 gr. JHP that's in pretty good condition and I was wondering if there's any value to a collector.  I think it's marked "$14.65".

Yeah, I know, it's good to shoot.  I just figured if anyone is actually interested in it for a collection it would be better there than shot up on a range.  Plus, if I were to end up with 2 boxes of .45 ACP to shoot instead of one it's a "win-win" situation.  

Can't hurt to ask.

Angus

Pictures, if possible?

There are some ammunition collector sites that you can visit and kind of see what’s valuable. IMO most modern ammo is not collectible. I’ve built up quite a collection of old ammo from gun shows, estate sales, garage sales, etc.. one of these days my widow will look at all of it and wonder “What the hell is all of this junk”. and then she’ll have an estate sale and somebody else will have a bunch of old ammo.

I did not know that.  If no one is interested in it for a collection I'll turn it in to noise and smoke.  I'll probably keep the box, tho.

Angus

I carried it in duty guns when it first came out.

I'm still here thanks to Super-Vel .45acp loads.

OLG 

Super Vel is currently being made.

OLG 

NOT the same company. The company that made the original Super-Vel ammo was seized by the IRS in 1975. The Name was resurrected in 2015.

@Black Angus McPhersonThere may be a collectors market for the original ammo in original boxes. From what little I know the condition of the box has a lot to do with how valuable it is.

The Return of Super Vel Ammo

NOT the same company. The company that made the original Super-Vel ammo was seized by the IRS in 1975. The Name was resurrected in 2015.

@Black Angus McPhersonThere may be a collectors market for the original ammo in original boxes. From what little I know the condition of the box has a lot to do with how valuable it is.

The Return of Super Vel Ammo

The condition of the box or packaging is a huge factor in collecting ammo, you are correct.

Archived