SASS Wire Forum

Tang Sight for Uberti 1886

C. W. Knight # 47289L

I had a Lyman No2 (for 1886) fitted a couple of weeks ago.

The Gunsmith had to tap a second hole (there is only the one on the Uberti/Pedersoli 1886) and he had to use different screws than what came with the sight as they were to short.

I also fitted a tunnel front sight (that was a simple bash out, bash in job).

The lyman tang doesnt have a windage adjustment so I am now in the process of slight adjustments back and forth with the front sight.

Having said that I prefer the tang sight to the receiver sight the rifle is already tapped for and the tang is SASS legal which the receiver sight isnt.

I intend to use it in a couple of Pat Garrett matches.

tang.jpg

Thanks to all that commented.  I purchased a Marbles tang sight for the Uberti.  My rifle came with a pair of additional screws for mounting the tang sight.  It also was drilled & taped for Lyman peep sight.  When I started to install the sight everything looked simple.  After mounting with the Uberti supplied screws the bottom of the bolt would stop at the cocked hammer position.  It was being held up by the forward tang screw.  Basically the screw head was too thick.  I ordered the screw set  but they are not the right screws for an '86.  I had a gunsmith grind down the front screw and make a new screwdriver slot.  Good,  except now the back of the bolt hits the upright.  I then took it off and mounted the base backward, and swapped the eyepiece to the other side.  So far it functions but I have not had a chance to fire the rifle yet.  I have been in touch with Marbles and will sent them one of the original Uberti screws  and seek their thoughts.  If this work the windage adjustment will just be on the opposite side of the rifle.  Wish me luck, somehow these simple projects usually provide some unforeseen drama.  C-U, C. W.  

I put a Kelley Soule sight knows my 76 45-60. Works great! 

Archived