SASS Wire Forum

Bye bye Netflix

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

Just dropped Netflix after many years.  They stopped meeting my needs and the service was awful: bad discs, streaming interruptions, etc.

My local library has most of what I want to see for free and I can get the rest other places.

So now........no TV, no DVDs, no streaming, no programs that I don't want to see, no ads, no news, weather, sports or jackasses getting paid ridiculous amounts to insult me and tell me lies.

Next challenge is unwanted phone calls.

We loved Netflix for years. We got DVDs mailed out and watched online. Then they had classic and other movies. Then they got a lot more junk we weren't going to watch. It became obvious they had a target audience and missed us by a mile.  

We watch YouTube but it's getting worse and a lot of commercials. We've never paid for anything on YouTube.  Mary gets DVDs from the library but it's hit or miss. We have a library of DVDs. 

Haven't watched network TV in 12 years.  

I haven't watched network TV either for about the same amount of time. Now I mostly watch YouTube, but with their terms of service changing in a couple of weeks (giving them the right to remove any content they deem no longer commercially viable) it may quickly go downhill as well. If that happens then like Forty Rod I may be reduced to reading cave paintings.

Netflix was great a couple of years ago and then they lost a bunch of contracts to other services. Then they decided that we all need to be indoctrinated with a plethora of PC programming along with a boatload of shows from overseas. They have definitely lost their allure. 

We still watch a few shows on there but I find we watch more on Amazon Prime these days. 

I haven't watched network TV either for about the same amount of time. Now I mostly watch YouTube, but with their terms of service changing in a couple of weeks (giving them the right to remove any content they deem no longer commercially viable) it may quickly go downhill as well. If that happens then like Forty Rod I may be reduced to reading cave paintings.

Guess their server plantation is finally full.  Bet the interesting and educational videos get axed :( and the hold my beer and watch this videos live on forever. 

We still watch a few shows on there but I find we watch more on Amazon Prime these days. 

Netflix invalidated my 46" Samsung TV effective 1/1/20... said "technical difficulties" and they won't support it anymore.
My daughter has an Amazon Firestick on the same TV, and it brings in Netflix just fine.
Apparently the Netflix app embedded in the Samsung TV is the problem.

I knew eventually that TV v1.0 would be incompatible with Netflix v2.0 and a Service Pack for TV would not be made available because support for TV 1.0 ends on 1/1/20.

Planned obsolescence... ain't it grand?

I remember when, if you wanted to watch an old movie, you had to hope that one day it might come up on late night TV.  So maybe you might see a few dozen good old movies in a lifetime of watching the tube.

I think we take everything since the VCR was invented for granted.  So now we complain about only getting thousands rather than tens of thousands, or whatever.

But then, complaining is a way of life.

Verizon customers of unlimited plans can get Disney plus app free for a year....

Amazon prime has a lot of content and we still do Netflix digital.  Some good original series and treadmill content :)

I also added YouTube TV for football season to watch more college games...it’s 50 per month but can cancel anytime.  After this week will be cancelled....

I'm like Rye, although I do have Amazon Prime and watch it frequently on our one Samsung Smart TV.

Netflix lost any opportunity to gain me as a customer when they hired #44 and his husband to produce shows for them.

I just pay out the wazoo for cable!:(

Our internet provider has packages.  But for the few channels we'd watch we'd have to get one of the mid-range packages that cost $82/mo.  The other some 500 chanels are a total wasteland of junk.  Then it doesn't include the premium movie channels.   

Our internet provider has packages.  But for the few channels we'd watch we'd have to get one of the mid-range packages that cost $82/mo.  The other some 500 chanels are a total wasteland of junk.  Then it doesn't include the premium movie channels.   

Same here, but apparently I'm on a "special" and if I cut down to the next lower pkg. it'll cost me the same !!! What a rip off! I'm kinda stuck, there's some network shows I watch and I can't get any Indians baseball games without cable.:angry:

Netflix lost any opportunity to gain me as a customer when they hired #44 and his husband to produce shows for them.

That's why I cancelled Netflix in May of 2018.

They stopped meeting my needs and the service was awful: bad discs, streaming interruptions, etc.

The streaming and interruption issues may be due to your internet speed or possibly your router.  I was getting a lot of streaming and interruption issues with Netflix and Amazon Prime until I bought a new router to replace the 10 year old one I had been using.

Netflix isn't as good as it used be, in part because others are starting their own version of Netflix (Disney, CBS, Hulu, etc) so there is less available content to purchase and in part because they want to make their own original content. 

Less than $20 a month for both Netflix & Amazon Prime is still a bargain.  I don't have cable or satellite and broadcast tv reception is minimal, only get  maybe 5 channels and most of those are in Spanish.

Netflix invalidated my 46" Samsung TV effective 1/1/20... said "technical difficulties" and they won't support it anymore.
My daughter has an Amazon Firestick on the same TV, and it brings in Netflix just fine.
Apparently the Netflix app embedded in the Samsung TV is the problem.

I knew eventually that TV v1.0 would be incompatible with Netflix v2.0 and a Service Pack for TV would not be made available because support for TV 1.0 ends on 1/1/20.

Planned obsolescence... ain't it grand?

My 50" TV has trouble with Netflix as well. I hooked up a PC to it so that I can watch stuff stored on the hard drive as well, and simply log on to Netflix using the computer when I want to watch something. A little more of a PITA, but it works.

I could probably do the same with a movie server that runs both Netflix over IP and my WD TVLive box.

I watch Netflix movies on my main workstation as the need arises.
I have it hooked with a pair of Pioneer HPM-100 and Yamaha 60w cage amp.
Old Radeon dual-monitor video card is designed for home theater use, works great.
I will have to throw the card away if I ever migrate up to Win10... a pity.

I just pay out the wazoo for cable!:(

I'm about to drop my land line and succumb to a cell phone only life.  One more connection to get rid of.

Next will be a way to find wireless internet connections.

I've spent a new Ferrari over the years on crap I'm weeding out of my life now.

Your cell phone may have included hot spot for free you might not be aware of.  For example, I think I have 10-15 gigs a month I can use which is quite a bit.  I didn’t know this until after I bought a separate hot spot....

Last June was my 45th year in the computer business.
I still don't like wireless...  too fiddly, too unreliable, too much PITA.
I have my 100% trustworthy neighbor set up same as ours... each can use the other's should the need arise.
We are both subject to power outages, though.

You can drive down most any urban street with your laptop and find an unsecured wireless network.
I knew a chiropractor who was so cheap, he bootlegged off the Starbucks wireless across from his office.
He was also too cheap to do proper off-site backups, so when his office was robbed, he lost his entire practice and gave up.

After 26 years in our current house, we kicked AT&T to the curb... they just could not / would not fix their chronic (DSL) line problems.
We currently have Comcast / Xfinity for VOIP and IP services only.  No landline, no TV.  Still $77 per month.
When storms knock down the power, we have no phones except mobiles.
I have a TracFone... voice only for emergency use. 

Last June was my 45th year in the computer business.
I still don't like wireless...  too fiddly, too unreliable, too much PITA.
I have my 100% trustworthy neighbor set up same as ours... each can use the other's should the need arise.
We are both subject to power outages, though.

You can drive down most any urban street with your laptop and find an unsecured wireless network.
I knew a chiropractor who was so cheap, he bootlegged off the Starbucks wireless across from his office.
He was also too cheap to do proper off-site backups, so when his office was robbed, he lost his entire practice and gave up.

After 26 years in our current house, we kicked AT&T to the curb... they just could not / would not fix their chronic (DSL) line problems.
We currently have Comcast / Xfinity for VOIP and IP services only.  No landline, no TV.  Still $77 per month.
When storms knock down the power, we have no phones except mobiles.
I have a TracFone... voice only for emergency use. 

I've been working with computers since 1966: Army made me a computer "expert" because I was the junior 2LT in the battalion.  They gave me the first non-combat operations computer on Okinawa, an NCR500 setup.  I never learned how to work them well, still don't like them and I certainly don't trust them.

25 years as an IBM engineer for me, mainframes and all the big stuff.
Then IBM brought out the IBM PC and I was on the ground floor for that.
I know how their electronics work how to program them, and how to use them.

IBM went down, similar to CA is doing today..
They fired a zillion of us just before eligible for pensions... but I still retained my vested rights.
I've done contract work for Microsoft and all the big houses, HP, Intel, State of CA, etc.

Today I have a very few clients that depend on me to keep their businesses afloat...
I work mostly for my own amazement, and gun money.

Just dropped Netflix after many years.  They stopped meeting my needs and the service was awful: bad discs, streaming interruptions, etc.

My local library has most of what I want to see for free and I can get the rest other places.

So now........no TV, no DVDs, no streaming, no programs that I don't want to see, no ads, no news, weather, sports or jackasses getting paid ridiculous amounts to insult me and tell me lies.

Next challenge is unwanted phone calls.

Caller ID is your friend.  My policy is if I don't recognize the number I let it go to voicemail.  If it is important to the caller they will leave a message.

P.S. due to degradation in the local phone co's buried copper cables I haven't been able to reliably use Netflix.  The issue was fixed when they finally installed fiber all the way to my house.

Archived