SASS Wire Forum

Official Language...?

How amusing!  During an unusual moment of boredom (!) I found myself gazing at the California state constitution.

And what an odd li'l passage I came across.  Who'da thunk?  :lol:  :P

I wonder if Emperor Newsom knows about this...  :rolleyes:

Article III State of California [Sec 1 - Sec 9] 

ARTICLE III STATE OF CALIFORNIA [SEC. 6]

( Article 3 added Nov. 7, 1972, by Prop. 6. Res.Ch. 120, 1972. )

SEC. 6.  

(a) Purpose.

English is the common language of the people of the United States of America and the State of California. This section is intended to preserve, protect and strengthen the English language, and not to supersede any of the rights guaranteed to the people by this Constitution.  

(b) English as the Official Language of California.

English is the official language of the State of California.

(c) Enforcement.

The Legislature shall enforce this section by appropriate legislation. The Legislature and officials of the State of California shall take all steps necessary to insure that the role of English as the common language of the State of California is preserved and enhanced. The Legislature shall make no law which diminishes or ignores the role of English as the common language of the State of California.

(d) Personal Right of Action and Jurisdiction of Courts.

Any person who is a resident of or doing business in the State of California shall have standing to sue the State of California to enforce this section, and the Courts of record of the State of California shall have jurisdiction to hear cases brought to enforce this section. The Legislature may provide reasonable and appropriate limitations on the time and manner of suits brought under this section.

(Sec. 6 added Nov. 4, 1986, by Prop. 63. Initiative measure.)

What led me to this li'l nugget was pondering Emperor Newsom's prattle about being the "sixth largest economy in the world," his constant battling with the current Federal administration, and hints of [illegal] secession.  Which makes Article III, Section 1 noteworthy:  

ARTICLE III STATE OF CALIFORNIA [SEC. 1 - SEC. 9]

( Article 3 added Nov. 7, 1972, by Prop. 6. Res.Ch. 120, 1972. )

SEC. 1.  

The State of California is an inseparable part of the United States of America, and the United States Constitution is the supreme law of the land.

(Sec. 1 added Nov. 7, 1972, by Prop. 6. Res.Ch. 120, 1972.)

Ahoy there, Gav!  Listen up, doode!    ;)

California's original constitution was as good as any on the planet.  It is now one of the most amended documents on Earth and nothing has been written that hasn't at one time or another been overwritten by something else.  Nothing "constitutional" about any state laws, rule, decrees, or any other official writing in that poor doomed state.

I've posted that section many times in the past 10 years in the comments on articles in the local paper, on the FB pages of my elected officials, in emails to same worthy gentlefolk.  Usually get called a bigot and racist.

image.png.2b0b548d8d6eb6093f6eaffa3bc93351.png

Being fluent in Spanglish is a necessity nowadays.

We're getting some work done on our house, roof, painting, landscaping, etc, and we're finding it very difficult to find contractors that speak English well enough to make themselves understood. It has nothing to do with race or country of origin, but we have specific requirements for the work being done and I don't want to go through an interpreter and maybe get what I want done. I'm a born and raised American living in America dammit, and I should not be forced to learn a second language to live in my own country.

Not here in Ohio it isn't!

It was a joke, relax Francis.

According to the liberal progressives it's not your country... it's theirs.

Yeah.  We stole it, don'tcha know.  :mellow:  <_<

Freakin' idjits.  :angry:  

I've posted that section many times in the past 10 years in the comments on articles in the local paper, on the FB pages of my elected officials, in emails to same worthy gentlefolk.  Usually get called a bigot and racist.

If everyone who was called a bigot and a racist were to suddenly become what they have been labeled this country would change overnight, for good or bad I wouldn't guess, but change it would.

We're getting some work done on our house, roof, painting, landscaping, etc, and we're finding it very difficult to find contractors that speak English well enough to make themselves understood. It has nothing to do with race or country of origin, but we have specific requirements for the work being done and I don't want to go through an interpreter and maybe get what I want done. I'm a born and raised American living in America dammit, and I should not be forced to learn a second language to live in my own country.

It must have something to do with 'country of origin' or there wouldn't be a problem. My advice would be to use contractors who speak English. If you can't find them, then use an interpreter.

Nobody is forcing you to do anything. What 'solution' do you propose?

I've had jobs done with Spanish-speaking crews with English-speaking bosses, who have a great work ethic and get the jobs done at a good price. Paid up and never felt 'forced' to do anything.

You're making false assumptions about me Red. Our roof and fence were done by crews that were Spanish speaking but also had excellent English skills. There was never an issue and I passed on a 5 star rating on them. On the two contractors so far we've had over to quote for some concrete work, well, after several attempts to explain what we wanted I wasn't sure they understood me. When I'm spending several thousand dollars I want the contractor to understand exactly what I want done. I don't think it's unreasonable to want the person doing the work to understand, directly fromme, what I want done.

Archived