SASS Wire Forum

Medical Devices Worn in Competition

Juiceharp Jen

I skipped some club matches last year while in a walking cast.  Looks like I’ll be in one again now.  I was wondering what folks think about competing with a medical device like that.  Would it be allowed?  If not, is it a safety issue? A costuming issue?  A slow down the match too much issue? Something else?  Thanks.

I skipped some club matches last year while in a walking cast.  Looks like I’ll be in one again now.  I was wondering what folks think about competing with a medical device like that.  Would it be allowed?  If not, is it a safety issue? A costuming issue?  A slow down the match too much issue? Something else?  Thanks.

We've had folks shoot in a medical boot before.  No problem.  I'm dealing with tendinitis in my left elbow and often use a velcro compression sleeve to help reduce the pain.  Nobody has said anything to me about it. 

We've had folks shoot in a medical boot before.  No problem.  I'm dealing with tendinitis in my left elbow and often use a velcro compression sleeve to help reduce the pain.  Nobody has said anything to me about it. 

Likewise, but in my right elbow.  and with my long sleeved shirt over it, I'll bet nobody even noticed.  Does limit my range of motion, however.

You’d be welcome at all the clubs that I shoot at.

I've been shooting in a boot for about 4 months now and plan on keeping it on until Winter Range. With a little practice I can do half way decent. 

I must have heard a 100 times it's not period correct all in fun.

It is not an advantage!!!

You’d be welcome at all the clubs that I shoot at.

If you are not welcome than neither am I.

A couple years back, my wife broke her leg at the ankle.   She continued to shoot for 6 months in a non-walking full lower leg cast, using a Rollator walker to get around.  The clubs where she shot didn't skip a beat in helping her to compete,  including climbing up into a buck board seat and shooting from a moving ore cart in one match.  She did shoot about 25% slower, but that was pretty inconsequential in term of posse completion time.   It really worked out quite well, considering our club has raised boardwalks on almost all stages.  

So I would say if you want to do it, go ahead.  Given the great folks we shoot with, you probably won't ever have to ask for help.  It will be freely given.  

(Of course, the following is all speculation and discussion, since NO ONE is going to object.)

Here’s my view:  As long as you are ambulatory and safe, if there IS an objection to your participation, and the club supports the objection, you are shooting with the wrong people, at the wrong “club”.  Not only THAT, if an objection IS raised, you have THE RIGHT to be informed, without asking, WHO (ALL) raised such objection(s).  It’s right and proper that you be so informed, so that you can make decisions as to who you should place your trust, and allegiances with.  

Cat Brules

We had a fellow that had Heart Surgery and could not shoot his Shotgun ,,,,, So it was decided that we would all take turns shooting  shotgun for him , a different Pard for each stage he got some pretty good Stage times ....  And the Posse had a blast ...

We have had several Folk shoot in Walking Casts no issue ,,,, One year I had surgery on the Thursday on my right foot and went to a Two day shoot that Sat & Sunday ...I shot wearing my Cowboy Boot on my left Foot and my right all bandaged up and taped into an over-size Rubber Croc shoe .... By the end of Saturday folks was calling me Bloody Foot as each day the bandages got soaked through with enough blood to be noticed .... I had a Blast ,,, in spite of the teasing ...

Come out and Shoot we will make it work .....

Jabez Cowboy

I shot a match 13 days after having surgery to remove a kidney. Moved a little slow an d had the wife shoot the shotgun for me. Yes, is was just a monthly, and no one even through about not allowing it. you should be ok, just change your alias to Chester.

Had a gentleman once that could unhook his oxygen long enough to shoot then re-hook it at the unloading table.

At my home club we do our best to accommodate anyone, one of our shooters has polio and he uses crutches to get around and he can shoot with the best of them. He used to write our stages and he would not factor his disability in.

And like NOZ said ifin your not welcome there neither am I!

I shot with a walker once. 

It didn't try to bite you?

Seriously though, I've never seen a club that didn't go the extra mile to help out folks that needed it. Does everyone get to sign your cast?

Many years ago we had a lady on our posse at EOT who was in a wheelchair and was deaf. Her sister was there to read sign from her and communicate with us. She could read our lips when we talked to her. I ROed for her many of the stages. She did great and the whole posse welcomed her completely.

Many years ago we had a lady on our posse at EOT who was in a wheelchair and was deaf. Her sister was there to read sign from her and communicate with us. She could read our lips when we talked to her. I ROed for her many of the stages. She did great and the whole posse welcomed her completely.

I remember her, she was quite a competitor. They stopped at the gate everyday to say hello and they always had a smile on their faces.

It didn't try to bite you?

Seriously though, I've never seen a club that didn't go the extra mile to help out folks that needed it. Does everyone get to sign your cast?

I wish. I came back after a year away. I had only learned how to walk again about a month before. The casts were long gone. 

I had fell about 20' and shattered both legs. They were going to amputate them but my bride refused to allow it.

The guys and gals were, and still are, wonderful with it. Everywhere I went made every effort to make it possible for me to participate. I can never pay it back but I'll keep trying.

You'd be welcome at our club.  We ran a match this past summer that encouraged injured/disabled shooters to attend.  It was pretty popular.  We'll probably run another one in 2020.

We have been known to have a special category called "Busted up Cowboy".

We have been known to have a special category called "Busted up Cowboy".

I like that category, but I think many of us would be eligible for that category all the time.

The line for "sign up" gets pretty long!

I wish. I came back after a year away. I had only learned how to walk again about a month before. The casts were long gone. 

I had fell about 20' and shattered both legs. They were going to amputate them but my bride refused to allow it.

The guys and gals were, and still are, wonderful with it. Everywhere I went made every effort to make it possible for me to participate. I can never pay it back but I'll keep trying.

Sounds like you married the right woman!  

We also had a guy in a wheelchair at a few of our clubs, he was accommodated as best as they could.;) Everyone that's disabled in anyway will be accepted for sure!! 

I’ve used a huge knee brace for several years until getting my knee replaced in July. Much better now, no brace and I don’t walk like Walter Brennen, “Luke the barn! Luke the barn!”.

I now have to use braces on both knees and I find walking is painful.

The posses I shoot with are great!

I try to help where I can; spotting, score-keeping, load and unload tables, but mostly they just let me sit and enjoy.

The only concession I have made, (at my own behest) was to switch from a cross-draw rig to a strong left side and strong right side rig, after the first time my knee started to give way when I did the cross-draw dance.

I leave the cane(s) and hobble from station to station in a stage, if it's required, and have a lot of fun whooping it up.

My scores are near the bottom, but Who Cares?!

Archived