SASS Wire Forum

Beware people banging on your door

Sedalia Dave

First Calamity Kris posted this

Then I read about this.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-victim-fights-back-against-intruder-police-say

In both cases the criminal pounded on the victims door claiming to be in distress and needing immediate assistance.

Stay vigilant pards.

No way am I going to open my door to anyone screaming. I'll arm myself, look out of the window to see if I recognize the person and call 911. This kind of crap goes on all the time in Florida, it didn't used to be this way but it is now......just never know anymore. This guy got lucky he just got the snot beat out of him. It could have been far worse for him.

If someone pounds on the door, which has happened, I open the door with gun in hand and phone in pocket. If dark out, the gun light is on and in their face when the door opens. 

Luckily I have not needed to use the gun. And usually it’s just some ignorant buffoon that has no manners. 

I did get the opportunity to make an ignorant UPS guys brown uniform a little browner one sunny evening in Oregon. The beat on my door like he was King Kong and he yelled something. I came to realize later he yelled “I need a signature”. What I heard was “Open up in there”.

I grabbed my Glock, went to the door, peeped out the bottom of the window to see hairy legs in hiking boots. Thought “No cops dress this way”.

Yanked the door open and aimed. 
The giant hipster gnome in a UPS shirt and shorts screamed like a little girl, threw the package and electronic signature pad in the air and ran backwards off the porch and fell in my flower bed / yard which was saturated from afternoon rains. 
He had mud and grass all over his backside and probably had some “mud” in his shorts. 
He got up whining about me being crazy. I told him to “shut the $&@# up”. I picked up my package and told him to never darken my door again like that and slammed the door. 
The next day I called UPS and filed a complaint. I never saw him again. 

First Calamity Kris posted this

Then I read about this.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-victim-fights-back-against-intruder-police-say

In both cases the criminal pounded on the victims door claiming to be in distress and needing immediate assistance.

Stay vigilant pards.

I have Three German Shepherds who's Job is to take care of stuff like this !

I see this to NOT be a problem at my house :D 

Happened to me last year, summertime, guy knocking at my door at around 9:00pm, I was settling in to watch some mindless tv show. I grabbed my S&W Model 15 stuck it in my waist band and turned on the porch light. He looked at me at saw the gun and said, "Im sorry I have the wrong house". I said, "Yes you sure do"!!! He left and got in his car and drove down the street. I saw him pull in the driveway 4 houses down. His car never moved all night and was there in the morning. Apparently he DID have the wrong house. Poor guy, I must have scared the crap out of him!!:lol:

If someone pounds on the door, which has happened, I open the door with gun in hand and phone in pocket. If dark out, the gun light is on and in their face when the door opens. 

Luckily I have not needed to use the gun. And usually it’s just some ignorant buffoon that has no manners. 

I did get the opportunity to make an ignorant UPS guys brown uniform a little browner one sunny evening in Oregon. The beat on my door like he was King Kong and he yelled something. I came to realize later he yelled “I need a signature”. What I heard was “Open up in there”.

I grabbed my Glock, went to the door, peeped out the bottom of the window to see hairy legs in hiking boots. Thought “No cops dress this way”.

Yanked the door open and aimed. 
The giant hipster gnome in a UPS shirt and shorts screamed like a little girl, threw the package and electronic signature pad in the air and ran backwards off the porch and fell in my flower bed / yard which was saturated from afternoon rains. 
He had mud and grass all over his backside and probably had some “mud” in his shorts. 
He got up whining about me being crazy. I told him to “shut the $&@# up”. I picked up my package and told him to never darken my door again like that and slammed the door. 
The next day I called UPS and filed a complaint. I never saw him again. 

Hate to tell you this but where you currently live you would be the victim of the PRoK's so called red flag laws if you did that now. :(

My freinds know to let me know they are coming if it will be dark when they arrive.

The local sheriffs know I am a FFL ammunition manufacturer and when they need to come here, they park their car so I can see the full side of it.

They knock normally and then go back to their car where I can see them.

This is about 30 feet away from the door.

I open the door but leave the steel screen door shut.

Comfirm their name, step back away from the door but still seem from outside and place my gun on the count before going back to the door.

Then we talk out on the porch.

I happen to be over a 1/2 mile from the paved road.

7 miles from town. (where the sheriff comes from)

I carry on my 10 acres, day and night or have it close by so when I stand up, I can take it with me.

Hate to tell you this but where you currently live you would be the victim of the PRoK's so called red flag laws if you did that now. :(

Nope, your residence is your home and you can legally carry inside your home. If this happens, an immediate call to the police will stop that crap.

I don’t open the door. Simple. If they force the door open they will face consequences. If they force it,
I won’t be standing right there. About  6 feet away at the low ready. Unless it’s a 10 year old, Miranda Lambert, or a bleeding octogenarian, my door stays closed while l dial the phone.

A hundred years ago I had just bought the house I grew up in from my father. About 10pm I hear a knock on the door so I pick up my .44 Bulldog and go investigate. As I'm coming into the living room the front door opens. I stop and draw, my stepmother sticks her head in just in time to see that big hole in the end of the barrel. I think that was the last time they came to visit.

Last year about 10PM someone was beating on our front door screaming-yelling something.  I have a huge halogen light rig that shines at the storm-door and the motion sensor did not trip.  Made me a mite nervous, I could not see anyone at the door so I went around the back and looked out the side fence, and lo and behold someone was there peering around the side of the fence.  Racking the shotgun, I asked just how he wanted to be shot in the head or ass.  He left, quickly. No point in calling the local PD.

About 30 years ago, I rented a house that was on a tidal creek that was about 1-2' deep with a seawall at the very back. The back yard was fenced in and there was an orange tree in the back yard. I don't like citrus fruit so I never bothered with it. Problem was that someone was coming into the back yard and taking the oranges. I could care less about the oranges but whoever it was would leave the gate open and my dog would get out. I couldn't put a lock on the gate because the power company had to read the meter. Late one night, I heard the gate open so I grabbed my pump shotgun and slipped out the back door. When I got outside, about 50' away, I racked the shotgun. All I saw and heard was a dark shadow scale the fence and splash, splash, splash until they reached the other side of the creek. They never came back. I still laugh about that to this very day.

Last year about 10PM someone was beating on our front door screaming-yelling something.  I have a huge halogen light rig that shines at the storm-door and the motion sensor did not trip.  Made me a mite nervous, I could not see anyone at the door so I went around the back and looked out the side fence, and lo and behold someone was there peering around the side of the fence.  Racking the shotgun, I asked just how he wanted to be shot in the head or ass.  He left, quickly. No point in calling the local PD.

Actually there is a point. He might be checking the neighbors’ houses.

On gun forums you'll see a lot of people showing off their home defense guns. Often it's a massive full-sized pistol with a rail, light, red dot and extended magazine. Probably great for when you're actively trying to repel boarders, but really the best one is a small pistol you can have in your robe pocket when you go answer the door. That way you can have your hand on it, but if the person on the other side is the police you won't suddenly get ventilated.

Sadly here in Austin, the response time is dreadful.

Regardless how fast the police response is, they will most likely arrive to get evidence to convict your killer.

My response time is always faster than the local police.

I grew up in a house that was behind a redneck beer joint that was known to the kind of place that checked you for guns and knives- and if you didn't have at least one of each would give you a loaner.

I answer the door with something in hand out of habit and have since I was in my 20's.

My freinds know to let me know they are coming if it will be dark when they arrive.

The local sheriffs know I am a FFL ammunition manufacturer and when they need to come here, they park their car so I can see the full side of it.

They knock normally and then go back to their car where I can see them.

This is about 30 feet away from the door.

I open the door but leave the steel screen door shut.

Comfirm their name, step back away from the door but still seem from outside and place my gun on the count before going back to the door.

Then we talk out on the porch.

I happen to be over a 1/2 mile from the paved road.

7 miles from town. (where the sheriff comes from)

I carry on my 10 acres, day and night or have it close by so when I stand up, I can take it with me.

Sorry, but I've got to ask"  Why is the Sheriff coming out to your place so often that they had to develop a specific SOP for responding?  If they're familiar enough with you to feel the need for such a response why don't they just call?

Just wondering.

Angus

Nope, your residence is your home and you can legally carry inside your home. If this happens, an immediate call to the police will stop that crap.

While the statement will be true, pointing a gun at a delivery man for loudly knocking on the door and your misunderstanding of what he said, is an assault in most jurisdictions, you can't shoot them outside your home and you had no call to draw down on him.  Bragging about it is as foolish as the act itself.

Not just the sheriff.

I hold a FFL for ammunition manufacturing.

Along with interviews I went to the sheriff's office to let them know who I was and I have everyone who visits contact me first before arriving.

There were only 3 officers but maybe more now.

This is where it gets interesting.

I have no phone service here and e-mail is what I have.

I also got visits from the ATF once a year and some time more if they happened to be passing by.

Even the state DOJ rep has been here ver the years.

I manufactured for about 18 years.

Now the fun part.

A few years back I got sick and tried to die on everyone.

Since then, I have a friend I have to send an e-mail to, between 6 am and 9 am or they call the sheriff out on me.

This has happened 3 maybe 4 times.

I see the car coming down the road and I meet the officer on the purch with a soda and a Gaterade.

We talk a little then contact my emergency caller to let them know it is all okay here.

Some times my net service is down.

Wind rain and snow all can cause it to go down.

Any way, I have been here in the desert for more than 30 years.

And it is a good thing to get to know you local law officers.

There are times they come by to ask if I know where some one lives because they don't know the roads.

Example. The road name I was given by the county when I first move in here, does not expist here. It stops about 1 mile away.

And if it every comes through, it would be my alley.

I know, I could change the road name but I do not want to pay big bucks it fit someething the county did.

I think it's best to make friends with the sheriff officers and let them know I do carry most of the time on my property.

They also know I do not have CCW so I do not carry off property.

I have even had luch with them a couple of times over the years.

Kind of surprises the new guy when they hire one.

Not just the sheriff.

I hold a FFL for ammunition manufacturing.

Along with interviews I went to the sheriff's office to let them know who I was and I have everyone who visits contact me first before arriving.

There were only 3 officers but maybe more now.

This is where it gets interesting.

I have no phone service here and e-mail is what I have.

I also got visits from the ATF once a year and some time more if they happened to be passing by.

Even the state DOJ rep has been here ver the years.

I manufactured for about 18 years.

Now the fun part.

A few years back I got sick and tried to die on everyone.

Since then, I have a friend I have to send an e-mail to, between 6 am and 9 am or they call the sheriff out on me.

This has happened 3 maybe 4 times.

I see the car coming down the road and I meet the officer on the purch with a soda and a Gaterade.

We talk a little then contact my emergency caller to let them know it is all okay here.

Some times my net service is down.

Wind rain and snow all can cause it to go down.

Any way, I have been here in the desert for more than 30 years.

And it is a good thing to get to know you local law officers.

There are times they come by to ask if I know where some one lives because they don't know the roads.

Example. The road name I was given by the county when I first move in here, does not expist here. It stops about 1 mile away.

And if it every comes through, it would be my alley.

I know, I could change the road name but I do not want to pay big bucks it fit someething the county did.

I think it's best to make friends with the sheriff officers and let them know I do carry most of the time on my property.

They also know I do not have CCW so I do not carry off property.

I have even had luch with them a couple of times over the years.

Kind of surprises the new guy when they hire one.

Maybe I& your friends don’t get an e-mail by 9 they could call you? Might be better than taking a deputy off patrol for no reason.

While the statement will be true, pointing a gun at a delivery man for loudly knocking on the door and your misunderstanding of what he said, is an assault in most jurisdictions, you can't shoot them outside your home and you had no call to draw down on him.  Bragging about it is as foolish as the act itself.

Never mind. You’re not worth the bother. 

Well Pat, I may not be worth the bother, but someone on this thread may be under the impression that what you did is okay.  If the delivery man had pushed the issue you would have spent a fortune defending yourself legally and probably ended up losing your right to own firearms.  But I'm not worth the bother so go brag on your assault with a deadly weapon and hope no one ever reports it to the police.

Pat and J. Mark

If someone had done what Pat describes in his post around here and the UPS guy had reported it....you'd be receiving a not so nice visit from the County Sheriff and the SWAT team. Chances are extremely good that they would be visiting the jail for, at the very least, aggravated assault and possibly assault with a deadly weapon.

Keeping the door closed to conduct the "conversation" or at least keeping the gun concealed if you opened the door would be the best option.

Sometimes the best decision is not the one we make in the heat of action. I've made plenty of bad decisions that upon retrospect would have had a much better outcome if I'd have thought about it for 3 more seconds. YMMV

Back in high school some years ago late at night there was a ferocious banging at the front door. My dad and I both  answered the door with extreme caution only to find a young man covered in blood almost hyperventilating and begging for help indicating he had been in an automobile accident behind our property. Although excited he was lucid and did not appear under the influence of anything. And he was telling the truth. He had to run more than a quarter mile through a field to get to our house. He said his friend was still trapped in the vehicle. We called 911 and quickly drove to the site of the accident where sure enough his friend was in need of medical attention. We help as best we could until paramedics arrived. Single vehicle accident on a dark, country dirt road.

Moral of this story is even though yes, we must be cautious and take precautions I saw a blood soaked young man on my front porch one night which for many people would excite thoughts of Friday the 13th or some other serial murder movie when in fact sometimes people do need your help.

Well Pat, I may not be worth the bother, but someone on this thread may be under the impression that what you did is okay.  If the delivery man had pushed the issue you would have spent a fortune defending yourself legally and probably ended up losing your right to own firearms.  But I'm not worth the bother so go brag on your assault with a deadly weapon and hope no one ever reports it to the police.

Like I said...

Archived