SASS Wire Forum

One of those days...

I went into New York for a party, and I left it too late, and it was the wrong neighborhood for a civilian to be in at that time of night, right? A dreadful error! Never been so scared in my life.

I'm walking on tippy-toe, looking in every doorway I pass and trying to look insolvent, and the burning question in my mind is, 'Are the crosstown buses still running?' Because if they are, I can catch one a block away that'll take me to bright lights and safety-but I've forgotten how late the crosstown bus keeps running in this part of town. It's my only hope.

I keep on walking, scared as hell. And when I get to the bus stop, there, leaning up against a mailbox, is the biggest, meanest-looking, ugliest, blackest man I have ever seen in my life. Head shaved, three days' worth of beard, big scar on his face, hands in his pockets.

So the essential thing is not to let them know you're scared. I put a big grin on my face, and I walk right up to him and I stammer, 'Uh. . . crosstown bus run all night long?'

And the fella yanked his hands out of his pockets,  clapped them rhythmically, and grinning, sang, 'Doo-dah, doo-dah!'

Stolen from Spider Robinson.

Archived