SASS Wire Forum

Slow Cooking Question - Roast With Wine

Calamity Kris

I am what you could call a practice cook.  I practice really hard at cooking but I'm not very good at it.  I do like trying, however.

In the interest of simplicity, I use my slow cooker a lot.  It's much easier to throw everything together and dash out the door, coming home to a cooked dinner when I get return from wo$k.  My question is this:  wine in a slow cooker.  I was thinking of putting together a pot roast and would like to add some wine to give the drippings some flavor.  Should I put it in with the meat when I start or add it when I get home or skip the idea all together?  I will be using a purchased slow cooker sauce but thought the wine would give it a little zing.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Why not give it a shot and find out? I would bet a semi sweet red wine would be good with a beef roast. Not being one to drink much wine I have no idea what wine to use. Chardonnay maybe?

Do not use a Malbec, it turns food purple.  No matter how good it may (o may not) smell, purple food tends to spoil the presentation.

I never cook with wine I wouldn’t enjoy drinking.  A good Cabernet works well or a Zinfandel. It should have good body. Don’t use a lighter wine like a Pinot Noir, rosé, or Beaujolais. Avoid overly sweet wines. And don’t overdo it. A little bit is best.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Why not give it a shot and find out? I would bet a semi sweet red wine would be good with a beef roast. Not being one to drink much wine I have no idea what wine to use. Chardonnay maybe?

Chardonnay is a white. You can use it for fish or chicken but it adds nothing to beef.

I did a 4 lb beef chuck in the crock pot one time. Used a cup of merlot. Got the recipe off the web somewhere.

The wine completely overpowered the meat. I could not taste the meat. Chewy wine. :P

36 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Chardonnay is a white. You can use it for fish or chicken but it adds nothing to beef.

Ha! Yep, I know nothing about wine. :blink:

Cheap red wine works fine.  If you have a bottle that went bad and turned to weak vinegar use it.

I never cook with wine I wouldn’t enjoy drinking.  A good Cabernet works well or a Zinfandel. It should have good body. Don’t use a lighter wine like a Pinot Noir, rosé, or Beaujolais. Avoid overly sweet wines. And don’t overdo it. A little bit is best.

I’m with UB. If it’s not good enough to drink, it’s not fit for cooking. 

If you want the vinegar tart, use a quality vinegar of the appropriate type. 

If you want the wine flavor, use something that you like drinking with the given meat. Pour in a half cup at the start of cooking and look forward to dinner. 

For some tips google “brine beef with wine”. Just “brine with wine” Will find tips for turkey brining.

if you need a “bigger pot” for brining and you are not sure you want to invest that much, look for a brewing supplies place and get a food grade plastic bucket there.

I never cook with wine I wouldn’t enjoy drinking.

I learned that from Justin Wilson. He was going on and on about how terrible cooking wine was. Said it was nothing but cheap wine with salt in it.

He cooked with jug wine - Ernest and Julio, I believe - and after he would pour some in the food, he would pour some in a glass.

I have cooked with jug wine - Argentine Burgundy distributed by Franzia,  Hours in a crock pot with onions, garlic and other spice overwhelms the flavors of a better vintage.  However, I would gladly sit at the table and enjoy a roast prepared by the preceding cooks.  Happy Thanksgiving to all.  My Thanksgiving turkey will be a small turkey breast prepared in a crock pot with homemade apple cider.  It does not change the color of the meat.

So..........  I'll tell you what I did.  Someone's post about marinading with gin piqued my interest.  I looked up recipes on gin marinades and took a little creative license.  The roast was large, 4 lbs., so this is the marinade.

2 Cups Gin

1 large lemon juiced

1 sprig of fresh dill

2 small sprigs of fresh rosemary

1 medium Bay Leaf whole

I combined all the ingredients in a glass bowl and stirred with a plastic spoon.  I put the roast in a large glass bowl and poured the marinade over it, making sure the roast was completely covered.  Sealed the bowl with plastic wrap and put in the fridge over night.  In the morning, I put the roast in the bottom of the slow cooker and covered with the slow cooker sauce, three cubed medium brown potatoes, one sliced purple onion, 8 oz of baby carrots and 5 oz of sliced mushrooms.  I turned the cooker on and dashed out the door.  12 hours later, I returned home and turned the cooker off.  The roast was so tender, it fell apart removing it from the cooker.  It was delicious.  I was told this needs to be added to my rotation. 

Thanks for the inspiration and ideas.

Archived