SASS Wire Forum

So You Think Your Monday Is Bad? Updated...

Yul Lose

So I have a guy over doing some work on a drainage issue that the county caused. He’s up doing his thing and I’m working in my shop and I hear a yell and there is dense gray smoke pouring off of the hillside into my shop. I run out there as fast as I can and the little excavator has rolled down the hill. The operator is okay. He called his dad and they are now trying to figure out how to get it back upright.

The smoke was coming from the machines engine, strangely enough he couldn’t get the engine to stop after it rolled. I’m guessing the engine is probably going to need major work, it finally seized up.

0F31B8C1-F378-4450-A0DF-649EFFA62B92.jpeg

FD0EC63A-593A-48CF-9641-DF34572B6748.jpeg

Dad is NOT gonna be happy.

6 minutes ago, Smoken D said:

Dad is NOT gonna be happy.

Dad’s out there and so is another brother and they are all working to get it righted. The youngest brother was the operator and Dad was very emotional when he got here and gave his son a great big hug, it brought a tear to my eye and when the older brother showed up he did the same thing. They’ve been working dirt around here for decades and the dad told me this is the first time he’s ever seen one of these roll like that. You can see in one of the pictures that the track came off and the operator says that was one of the factors to make it roll.

Well, my wife was out shopping for TG supplies and when she got home she came out to where everyone was and she got a strange look on her face and so did the Dad. It turns out that about 15 years ago when she first started managing the avocado and citrus ranch, where she still works, she had to fire him because he was the mechanic and he was ordering parts that the ranch was paying for and installing the parts on his own personal machinery and it had been going on for years before she caught on. It was a little strange.

1 minute ago, Yul Lose said:

Well, my wife was out shopping for TG supplies and when she got home she came out to where everyone was and she got a strange look on her face and so did the Dad. It turns out that about 15 years ago when she first started managing the avocado and citrus ranch, where she still works, she had to fire him because he was the mechanic and he was ordering parts that the ranch was paying and installing the parts on his own personal machinery and it had been going on for years before she caught on. It was a little strange.

Wow for BOTH stories!!:o

The worm turns. The youngest son showed up and as the dad and older brothers were trying to start the righted excavator we started visiting. He works for the County Of San Diego road department. I told him that we have lived here for 27 years and never had a problem with runoff until last year. I installed drains around my main shop when I built it in 1994 and then when I expanded I enlarged the drainage to compensate. I’ve never had a drainage problem until last winter.  Last rainy season I had to dig the back of my shop out twice because the silt and sand had built up to about 6” above the floor level and then we dug it out again this week. The youngest son explained that across the highway there used to be a small lake form after heavy rains and in the summer of 2017 they excavated 8 double dump truck loads of silt and sand and installed a new corrugated plastic culvert under the highway. He was the excavator operator.  He gave me the number and name of his boss and encouraged me to contact him and was pretty sure the county would resolve the problem. I’m making calls tomorrow.

For the first time in about four years I had an absolutely wonderful Monday.  Got my bed repaired.  Nearly finished a custom desk that a man is making for me.  (I'm helping by staying out of his way.)  Should be completed by Friday.  Got notified that my medical condition has improved and tomorrow I'll get new prescription set up.

My son called to tell me that he and his missus will be here for thanksgiving.  Was notified that a pair of custom grips are finished and in the mail. Had a friend and his wife get back from Gettysburg and they have invited me and my son and his new wife to share Thanksgiving dinner with them.

Not bad at all for a Monday.....or any other day for that matter.  :D

They got the excavator righted and running enough to get it down the slope and onto a trailer. They brought in a little bigger one and got the drainage troubles taken care of, now were filling a whole bunch of sand bags or some other issues.

They brought in a little bigger digger? :D

Yes they did.

My hunting partner, a very special relationship, says "If you don't mess your pants and you don't shoot yourself in the foot, you've had a good day." 

I try to live by that.

Corollary, from our daughter during her first year teaching in a special education classroom:

”It was a good day- no one bled or vomited.”

For the first time in about four years I had an absolutely wonderful Monday.  Got my bed repaired.  Nearly finished a custom desk that a man is making for me.  (I'm helping by staying out of his way.)  Should be completed by Friday.  Got notified that my medical condition has improved and tomorrow I'll get new prescription set up.

My son called to tell me that he and his missus will be here for thanksgiving.  Was notified that a pair of custom grips are finished and in the mail. Had a friend and his wife get back from Gettysburg and they have invited me and my son and his new wife to share Thanksgiving dinner with them.

Not bad at all for a Monday.....or any other day for that matter.  :D

I knew I was jinxing something when I sent this message.

Tuesday I fell off a ladder, ran a small screwdriver under a finger nail, got my nose smashed by a defective roll-up shop door (really ugly and painful and somewhat disabling), and ended up with both hands bruised (ugly but not painful nor disabling) from moving a bunch of lumber from one stack to another.  Dropped a large vise but was lucky enough to have it miss my feet.

Archived