SASS Wire Forum

Good grief... new Ubertis!

Sixgun Sheridan

Yes the transfer safety bar is a similar system to Rugers.  I agree to get past the import regulations that two notch safety pin worked just fine.  The hammer block safety was the old system, it gave you the “four clicks but did have reliability issues.  I thought when Uberti rolled the new system out (retractable firing pin, replacing the hammer block safety below the firing pin) it was only going to be on Stoegers and certain importers but would leave companies like Cimarron and Taylor’s alone.   I mean they were making the old hammers (w/o safeties) any way.  Why the forced change?  They’re “marking me and everyone else safer.”  Drives me nuts!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could have the best of both worlds.  Buy a pair of Ruger Vaqueros and ship them off to Jimmy Spurs for a complete race job.   They'll come back without the pesky transfer bars, with a half cock, and they make all the little clicks people like for some reason.  As a bonus, as has been mentioned, they'll be built like tanks and last longer than you will.  Even with the cost of the action jobs they'll still be cheaper than Colts, and they won't break as often either. 

I have run a pair of Vaqueros (after the magic of Boomstick Arms) for years.  If you want it to smoothy... go bang every time.  These guys know their stuff. 

I’ve heard good things about their stuff.  This is probably an obvious question, but do they tune Ubertis with the new firing pin system and how are the results?  The main reason I ask is I have a buddy that bought a Cimmaron Dock Holiday in stainless steel that has that retractable firing pin system and the weapon definitely needs smoothing.  Really neat gun though.

I have owned Colt SSA'a my whole life. But as I experiment with new loads, do more plinking, and just all around  range fun, I didn't want to use my Colt's all the time. So, I bought 2 - Evil Roy SSA. One in .45 LC and the other in .38/357. The .45 shoots great. about a 2 lb trigger pull, smooth. I like it. But the .357 was terrible. The trigger pull when I got it was just over a pound. I actually felt it wasn't safe. I took the gun apart and low and behold, someone put a rubber spacer between the frame and the mainspring by the mounting screw. I'd never seen that before, so I took the spacer out. Now the gun is much better. Trigger pull is a hair over 2 pounds.

However, and tomorrow I'll know for sure, but my SASS load that I have made  for 20 years doesn't shoot very well in these Italian guns. At first, I thought the powder charge got away from me and fell short. But when I took a  bullet apart, the powder charge is exactly where it should be. So, I'll take the Colt and the Roy out and do a side by side comparison. It's going to be an interesting test for me. The funny thing is Gene (Evil Roy) gave me the recipes for these loads many years ago, so I've never used anything else. It's all good though, I love the smell of gun powder in the morning. 

32 minutes ago, Johnny Rio said:

At first, I thought the powder charge got away from me and fell short. But when I took a  bullet apart, the powder charge is exactly where it should be.

How cold was it?  Cold temperatures can push light loads of smokeless powder over the edge to where they become erradic.  Some switch to magnum primers and or up the charge a bit. 

40 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

How cold was it?  Cold temperatures can push light loads of smokeless powder over the edge to where they become erradic.  Some switch to magnum primers and or up the charge a bit. 

You know it was one of our cooler days.  probably mid 40's. It will be again when I get out there tomorrow. I did up the charge on my test loads. We'll see what happens. Magnum primers.............. Yes I can try those. I'll make some to take with me. Thanks for the idea.   John

3 hours ago, Johnny Rio said:

I have owned Colt SSA'a my whole life. But as I experiment with new loads, do more plinking, and just all around  range fun, I didn't want to use my Colt's all the time. So, I bought 2 - Evil Roy SSA. One in .45 LC and the other in .38/357. The .45 shoots great. about a 2 lb trigger pull, smooth. I like it. But the .357 was terrible. The trigger pull when I got it was just over a pound. I actually felt it wasn't safe. I took the gun apart and low and behold, someone put a rubber spacer between the frame and the mainspring by the mounting screw. I'd never seen that before, so I took the spacer out. Now the gun is much better. Trigger pull is a hair over 2 pounds.

However, and tomorrow I'll know for sure, but my SASS load that I have made  for 20 years doesn't shoot very well in these Italian guns. At first, I thought the powder charge got away from me and fell short. But when I took a  bullet apart, the powder charge is exactly where it should be. So, I'll take the Colt and the Roy out and do a side by side comparison. It's going to be an interesting test for me. The funny thing is Gene (Evil Roy) gave me the recipes for these loads many years ago, so I've never used anything else. It's all good though, I love the smell of gun powder in the morning. 

Compare the throat sizes, which could mean different pressure levels.

44 minutes ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

Yes,  I  now have three  Colt SAA in 45 Colt, two second generation and one new third generation and the throats run around 458 on all three.  The Ubertis run closer to 452.

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

Yes,  I  now have three  Colt SAA in 45 Colt, two second generation and one new third generation and the throats run around 458 on all three.  The Ubertis run closer to 452.

I once measured my colt barrels using the slug method. It was a long time ago. Going forward from there I only knew they all were pretty much the same and that I needed .452" bullets and .358 for the .357's. I never had a reason to check anything else because it all worked and worked well. I'm thinking now that the Ubertis will need their own load. Interesting that I bought them to test new loads and maybe that wasn't the right thing to do if I'm still going to use the Colt's at matches. 

3 hours ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

The throats are different. The  Colt measures .359 while the Uberti measures .363. The Colt .45 is .457 and the Uberti measures .454. I don't seem to have the problem on the .45 Uberti like I do on the .357. The differences are almost identical. I'll bet the hotter loads I made will work better for the Ubertis

On 11/25/2019 at 3:30 PM, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I was just in a large gun shop yesterday that had a whole bunch of Cimarron and Uberti Single Action clones, in every finish and barrel length imaginable. At first I thought I was in hog heaven, but when I started looking at them I noticed three things: 1) the triggers are all MIM with obvious sprue marks on them, 2) none have the four clicks anymore, and 3) worst of all the springs inside are so light they all felt like cocking a toy cap gun! Ewwwwwww!!!

I guess none of that means a thing for CAS, but for somebody like me who wants a Colt six-shooter replica "just because" they were all a huge disappointment. The good news is the actual fit and lockups seemed really good, but I can't own something like that without putting in an older four-clicks hammer and restoring stronger springs.

With ya on the four clicks. If It don’t have the four clocks might as well go with the more durable Vaquero. 

16 minutes ago, County Jr said:

With ya on the four clicks. If It don’t have the four clocks might as well go with the more durable Vaquero. 

Not me..  the so called safety notch is never used on a 5 carry, down on empty anyway.  It's just the retractable firing pin I think 'm I wouldn't like deal that can easily be defeated.  

Here's options: 

Uberti - go with the "Old Model" revolvers that do not have the retractable firing pin system, and are the equivalent of the original Colt Black Powder frame. 

Pietta - the Great Western II line of revolvers from EMF.  Quite nice, ready to go right out of the box, and no "safety" systems.  The Californian models are as close to Colt as you're going to get in a mid-price gun. 

51 minutes ago, McCandless said:

Here's options: 

Uberti - go with the "Old Model" revolvers that do not have the retractable firing pin system, and are the equivalent of the original Colt Black Powder frame. 

Pietta - the Great Western II line of revolvers from EMF.  Quite nice, ready to go right out of the box, and no "safety" systems.  The Californian models are as close to Colt as you're going to get in a mid-price gun. 

+1000 on the Californian, I have one in .357 it's awesome!

19 hours ago, Ridge said:

Hey Johnny Rio, are those Evil Roy’s fitted with the retractable firing pin system and if so how are they working as far as ignition, action, etc?

They do have the retractable firing pin system. The 45 works great. I didn't know there was a different system. However, the .357 had issues at the range when I discovered the 1# trigger pull because of that spacer on the mainspring. I have since removed the spacer and the pull is now a little over 2#. The range was closed yesterday for maintenance, so I'm going this morning. I'll find out if the 357 is going work like it should. 

Archived