SASS Wire Forum

Good grief... new Ubertis!

Sixgun Sheridan

for what its worth, Jim at LongHunt did specifically mention to stay away from Pietta ( Chiappa even worse ) as notably inferior and inconsistent quality..  I dont mean to rankle in any way.. - no offense intended! —just trying to glean what I can from you who have experience before ploppin’ down my hard earned moolah 

Well I wouldn't snub my nose at the Pietta's, My son ran a pair of Great Western II's for awhile and ran them just fine, never slowed his shooting down one bit! LOL....They were bought used and have been a reliable pair of pistols

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For what's it's worth since our business is brought up here, I never said stay away from Pietta's. I said Uberti's have better quality control so we made a business decision to only sell and work on them through the website. We do sell Pietta's in the store. Mostly their black powder guns.  As stated by others, I'll respectively ignore any further comments about me or my business.

As far as the Old Model frames still having the magical 4 clicks, Rye Miles is correct.

For what's it's worth since our business is brought up here, I never said stay away from Pietta's. I said Uberti's have better quality control so we made a business decision to only sell and work on them through the website. We do sell Pietta's in the store. Mostly their black powder guns.  As stated by others, I'll respectively ignore any further comments about me or my business.

As far as the Old Model frames still having the magical 4 clicks, Rye Miles is correct.

Are the Old Model frames from old stock? Will they eventually go to the Hammer safety firing pin thingy on those too? 

BTW, I have a Cattleman with the 3 click deal and it's just fine!! I've got about 300 rounds through it. I gave it to my son.

"Are the Old Model frames from old stock? Will they eventually go to the Hammer safety firing pin thingy on those too?"

Yes and Uberti says they will but I'm not in the war room with them and Cimarron. :-) Guess they can make any deal they want.

I'm like you Doc, never shot so slow I could count the clicks after the buzzer went off. Guess I need to slow down and enjoy the guns more. :-)

The opentops and conversions only have 3 clicks, as those never had a safety notch.  Going back and forth between them and my 4-click guns just drives me crazy! :D

"Are the Old Model frames from old stock? Will they eventually go to the Hammer safety firing pin thingy on those too?"

Yes and Uberti says they will but I'm not in the war room with them and Cimarron. :-) Guess they can make any deal they want.

I'm like you Doc, never shot so slow I could count the clicks after the buzzer went off. Guess I need to slow down and enjoy the guns more. :-)

Many years ago (maybe 10) you did a pair of Pietta GWII's for me and they were the only guns that never gave me any trouble. I regret selling them.

The opentops and conversions only have 3 clicks, as those never had a safety notch.  Going back and forth between them and my 4-click guns just drives me crazy! :D

I've owned one Model P for something like five years and have shot it plenty. When I decided that cowboy shooting was my new way of life a month ago or so, I ordered the exact same pistol. I didn't know about the whole hammer safety thing and it honestly took me awhile to figure out what was going on with the new shooter. It runs just fine, although it still throws me at the tables. I really just want to change it to the "old" four click just to take away one less thing to have to process.

Now if I can just find a hammer and trigger seeing how Cimarron never called me back like they said they would.

And that, Ladies and Gentlemen, is what taking the high road looks like.

Hey all.. re: Jim / Longhunt

He was very gracious to take my call and take the time to answer my newbie questions..  Commendable...

He has every right of course to his opinions as someone in the trench working on revolvers...  I didnt say anything  untoward re: Jim  ... my impression of Longhunt is quite the opposite..  First class !

FWIW - Im coming in cold to research SAA &  Im all ears - gleaning what I can from experts.  so far if Pietta is considered high quality Im leaning that way to get a true clone l( hammer spur & no hammer safety ) on a budget ( vs a $2k Colt or Standard Mfg )  ... 

The question seems to be whether the guns are still reliable at a competition level. Since I currently shoot an unmatched pair, one Uberti 4-click and one stock Vaquero; guns I owned before starting with SASS; I can't quibble too much about exactly how the gun loads or unloads. I favor the Vaquero actually but also like having a gun that is close to the real deal like the 4-click Uberti. Never mind that I have to shoot the Uberti first because the trigger is so light. Coming off the Vaquero's heavier trigger to the Uberti instead surprised me with firing before I was ready for it. Turning it around worked fine.

New Uberti?  Ya, I know.  They suck bad :rolleyes:   Cimarron guns, all but one came with three click hammers.    I  dropped Uberti 4 click hammers and triggers in the other 4 guns.  Timing was prefect when I started.  Timing was perfect after dropping them in.   All  needed a little trigger work.  Better sear prep and lighter springs.....typical of a Colt style gun.

44 Specials

IMG_3399%2B%25282%2529.JPG

32-20s

DSC09553.JPG

New Uberti?  Ya, I know.  They suck bad :rolleyes:   Cimarron guns, all but one came with three click hammers.    I  dropped Uberti 4 click hammers and triggers in the other 4 guns.  Timing was prefect when I started.  Timing was perfect after dropping them in.   All  needed a little trigger work.  Better sear prep and lighter springs.....typical of a Colt style gun.

44 Specials

32-20s

DSC09553.JPG

May I ask where you're getting the 4 click hammers and triggers from?

May I ask where you're getting the 4 click hammers and triggers from?

Cimarron

I'll add this for those wringing their hands on Pietta.  I've had a few recent Piettas.  Nice guns and true to the original Colt design.   Also the first gun I have ever sent back to have warranty work done on it.   With in a few rounds (less than 50) the gun wouldn't lock up correctly, the cylinder was skipping the bolt .    Works fine now but it took a while to get fixed and I haven't bought a Pietta since.   But I like it enough that I haven't sold it.

Ya know, it's not hard to defeat the firing pin safety if you want to. Three clicks or 4 clicks  I couldn't care less if they work. 

The problem is some people are saying the hammer safety (3 clicks!) doesn’t always work properly. I’ve had no problem but others have. 

The problem is some people are saying the hammer safety (3 clicks!) doesn’t always work properly. I’ve had no problem but others have. 

Seems the problem occurs when shooting slow fire for accuracy.   Trigger release can hang up enough to notice.   It is inconsistent which makes it a bigger issue than it would other wise.   Nice that Uberti spent some time working on a solution that keeps the guns being imported.  Better yet that Uberti continues to sell the parts that easily take the guns back to the original design.

I’ve had guns worked on by very well known smiths that still had to go back for more work  a second time to make them work correctly, so the fact that some factory guns don’t work out of the box doesn’t surprise me.

44 Specials

32-20s

DSC09553.JPG

The 44 Special has always been a very accurate cartridge/firearm. That was the reason for it's design. One extremely fine shooting revolver!!

Seems the problem occurs when shooting slow fire for accuracy.   Trigger release can hang up enough to notice.   It is inconsistent which makes it a bigger issue than it would other wise.   Nice that Uberti spent some time working on a solution that keeps the guns being imported.  Better yet that Uberti continues to sell the parts that easily take the guns back to the original design.

What regulation are you referring to here?

whether a given handgun is eligible for importation under 925(d)(3). Under the criteria, a handgun must meet certain "prerequisites" and achieve a sufficient number of points under a "point system" which awards points based upon a handgun`s overall length and height (pistols) or frame length and barrel length (revolvers), weight, caliber, frame construction, safety-related features, and miscellaneous equipment such as target sights and grips.

There are two sections to the factoring criteria, and a handgun must satisfy the requirements of both sections to be eligible for importation.

I. Handgun Size and Safety "Prerequisites"

Revolvers: A revolver must (1) have a frame "of 4 1/2" minimum [and] a barrel length of at least 3" and (2) pass a "safety test" consisting of what is commonly referred to as a "drop test."

II. The "Point System"

Revolvers: A revolver must earn at least 45 points from the following characteristic areas:

Barrel length For each 1/4" over 4", 1/2 pt.
Frame construction If investment cast or forged steel, 15 pts.; if investment cast or forged HTS alloy, 20 pts.
Weight One pt. per ounce. Most revolvers weigh between 15-50 ounces.
Caliber If .22 LR and .30 to .38 S&W, three pts.; if .357 Mag. or larger, 5 pts.
Misc. Equipment Adjustable target sights, five pts.; target grips, five pts.; target hammer and trigger, five pts.

Uberti, 4 3/4", 45?

1.5 pts barrel length

20 pts HTS

38 weight

5pts caliber

---------

64.5 pts  but it won't pass a drop test loaded with 6 without a extended cylinder pin or a new hammer design.

The existing safety (2-position base pin) satisfied the import requirements.  The whole reason for the new safety is to decrease liability insurance costs (yes, careless/stupid people have dropped guns and gotten shot, and there have been lawsuits).  I was told that when Uberti switched to Cattleman II, they told the importers that they would only pay the insurance on the new guns.  

• 4 weeks later...

Abilene,

that’s my understanding too. What I don’t understand is why they are discontinuing the traditional triggers and hammers.  I may be missing something but if someone modifies their Cattleman II to the original Colt design, that’s on the owner of the firearm.  Once a person takes possession of said weapon whatever mod they make can and should void the warranty.  I would personally like to see after market hammers and triggers for all SAAs anyway, Rugers, Colts and Clones.  It’s  a big business for polymer guns, why not SAAs?

The existing safety (2-position base pin) satisfied the import requirements.  The whole reason for the new safety is to decrease liability insurance costs (yes, careless/stupid people have dropped guns and gotten shot, and there have been lawsuits).  I was told that when Uberti switched to Cattleman II, they told the importers that they would only pay the insurance on the new guns.  

What he said!  Most of the low-mid price guns are coming with some sort of safety device now.  Ruger had to switch over to the Transfer Bar Safety because of a lawsuit.  Pietta offers Transfer Bars on some models, Uberti with the new hammer system, and if I remember right, also offers a model with a transfer bar safety.  The EAA Bounty Hunter has a Transfer Bar, it's predecessor had a hammer block safety.   

High-end guns like the Colt and Standard Manufacturing still offer the original configuration, but most folks laying out $2,000, (approx.) per gun, usually  know how to handle them, (maybe).  Those companies have made a corporate decision to continue making these guns... I can't help but think that part of the price we pay for these guns is the insurance they carry in case of customer carelessness.   

People do dumb things, and instead of taking personal responsibility, figure it must be someone else's fault, and sue the manufacturer.  Except, when you do careless/dumb things with a gun, it can have disastrous results.  This is also why SASS is so safety conscious and why each pistol should be checked at the loading table.  And why, even if we think a rifle or shotgun is empty, muzzles should always be held in a safe direction.

I'm just glad we can still buy SAA copies, Vaqueros, whatever, without a big red safety button on the side.

Good pint McCandles and people will modify them anyway.  It’s the unfortunate direction all things are going.  I see Pietta going in the same direction eventually.  They don’t have the financial backing that Uberti does and so far, I think, only well known among cowboy action shooters and western firearm enthusiasts on a budget so they’ve flown under the radar. One thing for sure is that when Pietta is forced to adopt a permanent safety feature Uberti will have an aesthetic competitive edge over all the budget priced SAA copies.  Maybe they know something we don’t and did this to give them that competitive corner of the market.  Plus there’s something else to think about... unless Pietta is working on something as unique as Uberti their old traditional ignition systems won’t be serviceable where if you have an old Uberti system it will fit the new system (nobody really likes it) and you CAN keep your old Uberti going with OEM parts.  

for what its worth, Jim at LongHunt did specifically mention to stay away from Pietta ( Chiappa even worse ) as notably inferior and inconsistent quality..  I dont mean to rankle in any way.. - no offense intended! —just trying to glean what I can from you who have experience before ploppin’ down my hard earned moolah 

Chiappa worse than Pietta? For pistols, or all around?  

Good pint McCandles and people will modify them anyway.  It’s the unfortunate direction all things are going.  I see Pietta going in the same direction eventually.  They don’t have the financial backing that Uberti does and so far, I think, only well known among cowboy action shooters and western firearm enthusiasts on a budget so they’ve flown under the radar. One thing for sure is that when Pietta is forced to adopt a permanent safety feature Uberti will have an aesthetic competitive edge over all the budget priced SAA copies.  Maybe they know something we don’t and did this to give them that competitive corner of the market.  Plus there’s something else to think about... unless Pietta is working on something as unique as Uberti their old traditional ignition systems won’t be serviceable where if you have an old Uberti system it will fit the new system (nobody really likes it) and you CAN keep your old Uberti going with OEM parts.  

What "system" though? I see the firing pin as the issue, while a 3-click action is a nonissue, if the first of 4 clicks wasn't considered safe anyway.

The most popular system seems to be the transfer safety bar.  If or when Pietta has to make the safety change it appears that that is the system they will most likely use because they’ve already using it through their Cabella’s, Traditions and Heritage Arms importers while Ubertis system addresses the neutered look of the hammers on transfer bar system.  At least with the retractable firing pin SAAs would look more authentic.  

For the safety, are we talking about that goofy looking blocky thing that slides down into a big hollow spot in the frame of the gun?   I agree that it is quite ugly.   But, the two Uberti pistols that I have with it both have four click hammers, and that block slides into space in the first, "safety notch" click.  How was it changed for three clicks?

My Armi San Marco and another Uberti has the two notices on the cylinder pin "safety."  I like that better, as it does not detract from the look of the gun, and is much easier to eliminate if you desire to do so.

For the safety, are we talking about that goofy looking blocky thing that slides down into a big hollow spot in the frame of the gun?   I agree that it is quite ugly.   But, the two Uberti pistols that I have with it both have four click hammers, and that block slides into space in the first, "safety notch" click.  How was it changed for three clicks?

My Armi San Marco and another Uberti has the two notices on the cylinder pin "safety."  I like that better, as it does not detract from the look of the gun, and is much easier to eliminate if you desire to do so.

The 3 click system has a pin that goes up through the hammer and changes the position of the firing pin. Looks like this

7BA687D7-0854-48A8-91C2-81D7D18C43DB.thumb.jpeg.0d3442d717e9fc45c11444e1d6715063.jpeg6D7A708C-8D83-4B05-A689-9C25249236AE.thumb.jpeg.0b55c1e364131cd7b69834edaf927d6d.jpegCE92B827-ABCB-471D-821C-CCD06B29E3D2.thumb.jpeg.13bb50fcbeaa12d56af462b116360ac6.jpeg9EEDAE3A-8F35-485D-B1BB-8A8FE7C159A1.thumb.jpeg.0ee328d096a7f9d7b0a1deb7ffed304c.jpeg08A71680-0D7B-4BBF-9F3C-24DE5E0D6B42.thumb.jpeg.512988e0465099c7c505b1c6a2ee5fff.jpeg

Archived