SASS Wire Forum

Alternative to Low Recoil AA

Brimstone Bill Willson

I found these Kent low recoil 2 1/2" shells a few months ago and they worked great!  They shucked out of my honed '78 Cimarron.  Another bonus is, being 2.5", they let you hold an extra shell in a five round tube magazine, so good for '97's in Wild Bunch. They are less expensive as well.

https://kentcartridge.com/us/shotshell/elite-low-recoil-training

1 hour ago, Major Crimes said:

Not sure if you can get these over in the USA

Same with these. It's what most pards shoot over here. Shotshells by a Polish company called Pionki, also availabe with BP:

http://fam-pionki.pl/media/upload/files/Katalog- specjalnej-FAM-ang_.pdf

Pionki_Western_2.JPG

5 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

Not sure if you can get these over in the USA (there would be a change we have something you dont:P).

I haven't tried them yet but am getting a brick this weekend.

https://ontargetsportingarms.com/product/falcon-saloon-western-action-12ga/

Falcon-Cowboy-Action-12ga-Rounds.jpg

Cool style points there!

22 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

Not sure if you can get these over in the USA (there would be a change we have something you dont:P).

I haven't tried them yet but am getting a brick this weekend.

https://ontargetsportingarms.com/product/falcon-saloon-western-action-12ga/

Falcon-Cowboy-Action-12ga-Rounds.jpg

940 fps, #7  1 / 2,made in New Zealand. I like to use my own reloads but a lot of Aus cowboys are trying them, they retail here for around $ 95-100 per 250 slab.

The question after how well they shuck is always how many reloads you can get from the hulls.

Actually that is a good point..the Saloon Cowboy loads that are made in NZ come out easily but the roll crimp  cases are not the in the best condition after being fired so reloading probably wouldn't happen, so it does make them expensive to buy..not like the older Winchester taper crimped cases that I have reloaded up to 10 times for some before they are a throw away..JMO

Actually that is a good point..the Saloon Cowboy loads that are made in NZ come out easily but the roll crimp  cases are not the in the best condition after being fired so reloading probably wouldn't happen, so it does make them expensive to buy..not like the older Winchester taper crimped cases that I have reloaded up to 10 times for some before they are a throw away..JMO

What about redoing the roll crimp? I’ve done some homemade roll crimped shells in the past that I was able to load several times. I’ve got an antique Bridgeport roll crimper that I found on eBay a number of years ago that I use when I want to go to that much work to load shotgun shells...

Hi, It's a long ride to Australia . I'm wondering how the 2 1/2"  shells feed?  I found these but currently "out of stock", regards, Mike

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fiocchi-shooting-dynamics-light-clay-target-12-gauge-2-34-1oz-9-shot-ammunition-p-3003.aspx?keyword=fiocchi shooting dynamics light clay

Hi, It's a long ride to Australia . I'm wondering how the 2 1/2"  shells feed?  I found these but currently "out of stock", regards, Mike

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fiocchi-shooting-dynamics-light-clay-target-12-gauge-2-34-1oz-9-shot-ammunition-p-3003.aspx?keyword=fiocchi shooting dynamics light clay

It is a different shell, Fiocchi's light target, 7/8, #8, but a case I am working through shows the hulls only good for one or two reloads, and then the crimp petals break apart. They are 6 point crimp. It feels to me like the plastic is more brittle than some Win AA I used for comparison. Price is good but not so much when counting number of reloads. There simply are no others I have found other than Remington and Winchester with smooth hulls favored for fast and reliable shucking and which will last through several reloadings. Fiocchis are ribbed, but I have had only one "hull!" call so far.

It is a different shell, Fiocchi's light target, 7/8, #8, but a case I am working through shows the hulls only good for one or two reloads, and then the crimp petals break apart. They are 6 point crimp. It feels to me like the plastic is more brittle than some Win AA I used for comparison. Price is good but not so much when counting number of reloads. There simply are no others I have found other than Remington and Winchester with smooth hulls favored for fast and reliable shucking and which will last through several reloadings. Fiocchis are ribbed, but I have had only one "hull!" call so far.

Hi, Thanks for the info. I don't reload shotgun as I have my hands full with pistol and rifle.  Are you saying the smooth hulls are more reliable in "shucking"?  I have not tried the Fiocchi's so I may have to go to a different load. I have been using Remington up till now, regards, Mike

What about redoing the roll crimp? I’ve done some homemade roll crimped shells in the past that I was able to load several times. I’ve got an antique Bridgeport roll crimper that I found on eBay a number of years ago that I use when I want to go to that much work to load shotgun shells...

Yep roll crimping again wouldn't be a problem if that's what you wanted to do, although in saying that these Falcon Cowboy loads from NZ  really mush up the ends after firing. I tend to only do it the once as there are plenty of hulls around....I was more so saying that buying crimped cases are better value if they are the ones that can be reloaded many times..which is getting harder as the quality of the two  piece hulls nowadays is not the best.Earlier one piece hulls like the tapered Winchester were great for many reloads.

hmmm , seems there is stuff out there i cannot find , wish they shipped this side of the pond , 

i do have a bunch of those 2 1/2" round , but they are not the light loads you all are talking of , these are rounds that michael macintosh shot birds with in south america , given to me by his stepson who is a friend of mine , ive been reluctant to use them in cowboy as i think them to be full power loads - i like the idea of "low recoil" not sure these fit that ..........maybe i need to try a few to see , 

Archived