SASS Wire Forum

Best Smokeless Powder for .44 WCF

Pee Wee #15785

"To put a slightly different twist on this, which powder, other than Trailboss, takes up the most space?"

Unique.

I don't know if it takes up the most space, but it takes up a lot. That is why Unique was always my choice for 45 Colt or 44-40. It takes up a lot of space in the case, and an accidental double charge should be really noticeable.

Untitled.png

Nothing is ever perfect, wish it was. Listed below are some factory loads and some published loads from reputable sources like Lyman and Taffin, others like Reloder 7 are also older published loads. Those should be noted. I don't know were we draw the line between fast burning pistol powders and slower burning rifle powders down to the slowest burning rifle powders....and those shotgun powders....but slower burning rifles powders can work well.

In line with what Driftwood said [I think], Unique should be the best over-all powder for the 44-40 and I say in both revolver and rifle. Everyone has thier prefered and is why I try to help answer questions the way they are asked.

A double charge of Unique is hard to miss but may not overflow the case if using lighter loads. If you are using a 6gr load, a double charge of 12gr will produce close to 22,000psi, well over 22,000cup for comparison.

Magnum powders are desired for the 44-40 cartridge as a mid-range rifle cartridge powder. Magnum powders and mid-burning rate rifle powders take up the most space. A double charge of normal magnum powder charges should overflow the case.

Unique takes up the least space of the following three powders listed in Lyman's 49th page 369 for revolvers. Typically the heavier charges noted in a particular category such as max load charges, the more space is occupied...but not always....i.e. Trail Boss 6.4gr is a bulk powder taking up as much space as maybe IMR-4227.

The slower burning rifle powders like Reloder 7, will not burn completely, burning only about 75% of the powder thus leaving "skeletons" in the barrel and maybe chamber. Care should be taken to make sure the chamber is clear or the next round chambered could get a dent when fired. This hurts nothing but some people are picky. 4227 and sometimes 2400 will leave powder in the barrel too if loaded too light. Same with the 4198 powders.

Max Loads for Handgun with a 200gr Speer JHP #4425 per Lyman 49th
Unique - 8.5gr

2400 - 16gr

IMR-4227 - 17.9gr

An older Lee Pamphlet as well as Hercules and Alliant data listed a 240gr lead bullet
Lee considers this a "mild" load safe for all firearms.

MAX load of 23.5gr of Reloder 7, making that the powder that fills up the case......even if one decides to use a 200gr lead bullet and slightly more powder. I prefer a 220gr myself with 25.8gr, the 427098, 43-215C and 43-214A may sit lightly on top of the powder! If a 200gr Magma or Lasercast is used, there will a slight air pocket due to the more shallow seating of the bullet..Check out Test #61 with 30gr of Reloder 7 using the smaller diameter Winchester JSP bullet.

Obviously there are MAX velocity issues for some ranges and competitions. The below charts show my results listed by velocity, slowest to fastest...mostly...if that is a concern!! Winchester Cowboy loads were not even tested....they wont even surpass 1,000fps in a rifle.

Velocity 1.png

Velocity 2.png

Velocity 3.png

Velocity 4.png

No data at this point, but Tin Star should be a candidate powder for 44-40. Powder Valley had it it, last I looked.

Somewhere I was discussing this powder as well as another Vihtavouri powder. I forget which one but he was having great results with it.

I found this burn rate table with bulk powder densities.  It is out-of-date as it lacks info on Trail Boss.  As expected it shows shotgun powders like Clays, 700-X and Red Dot as having low bulk densities.  Unique is a little more dense than the faster shotgun powders but not by much.

I found this burn rate table with bulk powder densities.  It is out-of-date as it lacks info on Trail Boss.  As expected it shows shotgun powders like Clays, 700-X and Red Dot as having low bulk densities.  Unique is a little more dense than the faster shotgun powders but not by much.

Great charts!

I have been using the burn rate chart in Lyman's 49th but these also comment on the use of each.

Obviously pistol powders work for the 44-40 when used in a revolver. Unfortunately power and the cartridge's true potential has been neutered for years.

Cowboy Action shooting and plinking loads are great with this caliber and a pleasure to shoot. Some pistol powders are very accurate with this caliber but can come at a cost when referring to hunting loads using a revolver or a rifle.

Trying to staying on topic with the OP, however, indoor range loads can be reduced or full power...opening the door to many powders. Sometimes we have to define "full power". Are we referring to "pressure limits" as being full power or "velocity" or both? If so, then yes, pistol powders limit velocities at max pressures.

Regardless of velocity, accuracy always seems to be what we thrive for when plinking and hunting. So we somewhat look for the following,

1. accuracy (plinking)

2. accuracy/distance (plinking at yardage)

3. accuracy/power at distances (hunting).

Don't forget power in close for self defense if interested.

Gallery loads are sweet when just plinking for accuracy, trying to shoot out the black on a playing card regardless of velocity. With that, what ever powder works for the shooter. Much of that has already been shared.....but here is a short list.

Relative Burn Rate, 1st thu 114th

Lyman 49th

Pistol/Shotgun powders

3 - Nitro 100

4 - Bullseye

8 - 700X

9 - Tightgroup
15 - Trail Boss - accurate powder for low velocity revolver out to 25 yards and for lobbing a chunk of lead from a rifle out to 260 yards but only for going "ding ding"

22 - Zip

24 - Unique - Accurate powerful loads at handgun distances - I recommend this powder for Group I Rifles and all Revolvers unless you are scared of "dirty" guns.

33 - N340 (N32C Tin Star not listed)

34 - SR-4756

41 - True Blue

44 - 2400 - Accurate power loads at handguns distances and in rifles at moderate rifle distances.

47 - N-110

49 - H-110......454 Casull

Rifle Powders

51 - SR-4759

53 - IMR-4227 - Very accurate power when used with heavy loads at least out to 265 yards - Group II Rifles Only

54 - H-4227

59 - IMR-4198 - higher pressures than H-4198 with same loads

60 - H-4198 - Bulk powder, mild pressures accurate out to 100 yards.

63 - Reloder 7 - Bulk powder, very accurate, replicates original velocity/pressure loads to greater than 100 yards and accurate out to at least 265 yards - I recommend this powder for Group I Rifles and all Revolvers unless you are scared of "dirty" guns.

Hi, I try not to have many different powders on hand. Sorry to say that ship has sailed, but I use Unique for 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 44 Special and 38 WCF. It's what I started with 45 years ago and have stuck with it. As Savvy Jack says, It's a little on the dirty side. I use a "Little Dandy" RCBS powder measure and it meters just fine for me. If I was starting today I would be open to other powders. I do like that Unique does  fill the case also as Jack mentions, regards, Mike

This might help,

REVOLVER

pressureresults.jpg

Rifle Results

1,014fps, 1,127fps, 1,164fps, 1,300fps, 1,384fps. We get better velocities in revolvers with pistol powders and better velocities in rifles with rifle powders.

Archived