SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Vaquero Question - UPDATE...scroll

Pat Riot

When I moved back to California I started using my original pair of Ruger Vaqueros in .357 Magnum. I had to borrow them from my Son-In-Law. I had given them to him. 
I borrowed them so I could shoot .38 Special. .45 Colt, the way I load it kills my wrist. I also borrowed them because I really do not like the New Vaqueros. (I never tried them shooting two handed) 

Anyway, on to my question. 
If I sent these original Vaqueros back to Ruger would they / could they go through them and replace all the worn parts with factory original? Do the still support original Vaqueros?

I ask because one seems to have wear on the hand and feels “mushy” when pulling the hammer. The other has a very mushy trigger. I know I could buy and replace all the parts but in reality these guns do not belong to me. They are my son-in-law’s.

Thank you

Aren't you breaking some kind of California law??

I'm sure Ruger would replace the parts, but you might be better off finding a good gunsmith in your area. Just MHO.

1 minute ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Aren't you breaking some kind of California law??

I'm sure Ruger would replace the parts, but you might be better off finding a good gunsmith in your area. Just MHO.

No. they are still in my name but we’re given to him when it was okay in this state to give guns to relatives without transfer. 

Everyone,
PLEASE, do not make this thread about California and it’s retarded laws. 

10 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

No. they are still in my name but we’re given to him when it was okay in this state to give guns to relatives without transfer. 

Everyone,
PLEASE, do not make this thread about California and it’s retarded laws. 

I didn't mean to go that way but I was just curious.:blush:

Yes, Ruger will repair them.

44 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

When I moved back to California I started using my original pair of Ruger Vaqueros in .357 Magnum. I had to borrow them from my Son-In-Law. I had given them to him. 
I borrowed them so I could shoot .38 Special. .45 Colt, the way I load it kills my wrist. I also borrowed them because I really do not like the New Vaqueros. (I never tried them shooting two handed) 

Anyway, on to my question. 
If I sent these original Vaqueros back to Ruger would they / could they go through them and replace all the worn parts with factory original? Do the still support original Vaqueros?

I ask because one seems to have wear on the hand and feels “mushy” when pulling the hammer. The other has a very mushy trigger. I know I could buy and replace all the parts but in reality these guns do not belong to me. They are my son-in-law’s.

Thank you

Don't fix, what ain't broke.

If the cylinder Indexes when cocked you're GTG.

Take the grips off and use brake cleaner to flush the insides out.

Then try the action.

OLG 

5 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Don't fix, what ain't broke.

If the cylinder Indexes when cocked you're GTG.

Take the grips off and use brake cleaner to flush the insides out.

Then try the action.

OLG 

Oh, it’s all clean. It just has worn parts. 

24 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I didn't mean to go that way but I was just curious.:blush:

Oh, no problem. Valid point. I just don’t want a boatload of CA gripes. You can’t mention California here any more without a bunch of bull sh..stuff about this or that. It gets real freakin’ old real freakin’ fast.  ;)

You can also order all the replacement parts from Brownells or Midway, if you are confident enough (or know a good local gunsmith) to change them out.

If the Rugers are short-stroked or have lower powered springs, remove and replace them with the original parts/springs when you send them off.  Ruger will replace them with factory spec stuff when they get them (at least that has been my experience).

Just now, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

You can also order all the replacement parts from Brownells or Midway, if you are confident enough (or know a good local gunsmith) to change them out.

If the Rugers are short-stroked or have lower powered springs, remove and replace them with the original parts/springs when you send them off.  Ruger will replace them with factory spec stuff when they get them (at least that has been my experience).

I do believe I could disassemble a Ruger with my eyes closed. Reassembly would require one eye open, though. ;)

I know I can buy the parts but these guns have thousands of rounds through them. I want the manufacturer to look them over. I was just concerned they may not want to look them over or they may not have parts on hand. 

Since they are still making single action revolvers in 44 magnum using the larger frame size, which is the same as the original Vaquero, so most of the parts should be compatible.

The only concern would be if those revolvers are not on the approved list for CA.  If they are not, can Ruger ship the guns back to either you or a FFL if CA law requires that?

8 minutes ago, Chantry said:

Since they are still making single action revolvers in 44 magnum using the larger frame size, which is the same as the original Vaquero, so most of the parts should be compatible.

The only concern would be if those revolvers are not on the approved list for CA.  If they are not, can Ruger ship the guns back to either you or a FFL if CA law requires that?

Single action revolvers are not included on the roster as they are not restricted. 

Howdy,

Call Ruger and ask if there is anything you can do to eliminate the mushy feel.

They might suggest sending them the guns.  

They might send a shipping box or not.

You might get charges or not.

Good luck.

Leave out all the DR Phil stuff.

Best

CR

Ruger will want the serial number of each.

Mushy trigger screams crud build up.

Do the flush thing. ;)

You should think about the Power Custom hammer conversion.

Been running mine for 15+ yrs with no issues.

Run tired 19lb hammer and 32oz trigger return springs. 

OLG 

3 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Run tired 19lb hammer and 32oz trigger return springs. 

I run 19# hammer and 40 ounce trigger springs. 

1 minute ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Switch the springs between  both guns, and see if that changes the feel of the mushy one.

OLG 

I have new springs to install after Ruger goes through them. 

1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have new springs to install after Ruger goes through them. 

Make sure those hammer springs are the same length.

And the trigger return springs have the same arch.

Takes 5 minutes to switch existing springs from one gun to the other.

Rugers are easy to tear down and plenty of videos out there to guide you. 

Power Custom has a couple of good ones on their site.

Really no reason to send'em back.

OLG 

going down a rabbit hole (but not about the 31st state)

I do a complete tear down about twice a year and today was one of them (got to 59° and guns weren't hitting primers hard enough until sun came up)

took an hour to do  first--25 min for the second--amazing what I had forgotten in 6 months--but they're minty fresh for the cooler weather now 

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Make sure those hammer springs are the same length.

And the trigger return springs have the same arch.

Takes 5 minutes to switch existing springs from one gun to the other.

Rugers are easy to tear down and plenty of videos out there to guide you. 

Power Custom has a couple of good ones on their site.

Really no reason to send'em back.

OLG 

OLG, Thank you.
 I understand what you are saying and I know how to work on a Vaquero.

I want to send them back to look over the entire gun. Including parts, frame, frame openings, machined areas that might have wear, everything about the guns, not just the springs and easily replaceable parts. 

My concern was whether or not they would look at them and if they might have the parts. When I get them back they will get a light polishing on the trigger / hammer interfaces, new Wolff springs and SBH hammers. 
When I give than back to my SIL I want them in tip top shape. ;)

8 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

OLG, Thank you.
 I understand what you are saying and I know how to work on a Vaquero.

I want to send them back to look over the entire gun. Including parts, frame, frame openings, machined areas that might have wear, everything about the guns, not just the springs and easily replaceable parts. 

My concern was whether or not they would look at them and if they might have the parts. When I get them back they will get a light polishing on the trigger / hammer interfaces, new Wolff springs and SBH hammers. 
When I give than back to my SIL I want them in tip top shape. ;)

Do the sights shoot to POA?

Include a target from each gun(Ruger tests at 50')and ask Ruger to make the corrections for windage. Tell Ruger you want the gun to shoot low so you can file the sight down for your load.

OLG 

If I'm not mistaken Ruger will replace the worn out parts but won't they restore it to factory specs? If you want it lighter and smoother you'd be better off buying the parts and doing it yourself or have a reliable gunsmith do them. 

I could be wrong about this but generally I'm right about everything!:P

Unless one or more of your revolvers has a clear, mechanical issue such as the cylinder over rotating, I would not send them to Ruger. If you do, replace any non-factory part before you do. Since you believe the hand(s) are worn, replace the hand(s) and springs and see how they feel. Rugers tend to be very reliable only getting smoother after many thousands of rounds. I have two old pairs with the transfer bars removed and West Fargo action jobs. They just keep plugging away with no issues.

These guns shoot very close to point of aim. No issues there.

Also these revolvers have all factory parts except for the springs. They ate Wolff Springs from years ago. I think I changed them 20 years ago.

What really makes me mad (At Myself) I left the house this morning and forgot to get the serial numbers off the guns for when I call Ruger. Looks like I will have to do that tomorrow.

And Rye, I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken. :D

Got my guns back yesterday. Wow! They turned them around quick. 
I shipped them Dec 3rd. They confirmed receipt Friday Dec 6th. They started and completed repairs on Dec 10th then shipped them and I signed for them yesterday. 
They tore them down, inspected & cleaned. They replaced both pawls and both ejector rod housings ( they were really worn from holster wear.) They replaced a trigger spring in one. I think they replaced all the springs but they only. listed one. Everything feels tight and like it should now. 
That’s damn fine customer service there! They only charged me $30 for the discounted shipping label to them for both guns and no charge for anything else. 
I took them to the range today and they work great. My original one still shoots 4” to the left at 10 yards. :lol:

Thank you Ruger! Damn fine customer service! :D

Did you tell Ruger that the POA and POI was off?

Both of my 44 OMV's were off, and Ruger corrected it and covered my shipping costs. 

OLG 

Nope completely slipped my mind. Duh...

OK, one NCIS/Gibbs style, back of the head, head-slap for you!

Got my guns back yesterday. Wow! They turned them around quick. 
I shipped them Dec 3rd. They confirmed receipt Friday Dec 6th. They started and completed repairs on Dec 10th then shipped them and I signed for them yesterday. 
They tore them down, inspected & cleaned. They replaced both pawls and both ejector rod housings ( they were really worn from holster wear.) They replaced a trigger spring in one. I think they replaced all the springs but they only. listed one. Everything feels tight and like it should now. 
That’s damn fine customer service there! They only charged me $30 for the discounted shipping label to them for both guns and no charge for anything else. 
I took them to the range today and they work great. My original one still shoots 4” to the left at 10 yards. :lol:

Thank you Ruger! Damn fine customer service! :D

Are you sure the gun shoots to the left:ph34r::lol:

Archived