SASS Wire Forum

Foods You Dislike

Subdeacon Joe

11 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I loved coffee with cream and sugar as a kid. Drinking it black was a “necessity” when I went on a 2 week camping trip and had no cream and sugar. I “acquired” a taste for black coffee then and have drank it that way ever since. 

Scotch = Camphor...Yuck! :wacko:

That’s what I used to think. I was drinking the wrong brands.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Pete will NOT touch Menudo.  "That's GUT SOUP!"

I agree. 

But I have eaten it. Then I found out what was in it. I found out because I asked how Mexicans made the noodles chewy. The girl I asked nearly choked to death on her soup laughing so hard. She told me why the “noodles were chewy” and I haven’t touched it since. 

I can afford to eat the outer pig. Others can have the inner pig. 

When I was a “ute” back in the 60’s my family moved from the Nebraska panhandle to the high mountains of Colorado, Creede to be exact. We had never had venison before and my stepdad shot a big old buck. Mom tried everything she could to make it edible and failed in most cases but us kids were told to eat it anyway. Two dishes she made that I can still remember, potted venison, I swear she dumped the entire container of cloves in that thing and venison mincemeat. To this day my stomach does flip flops when I hear mincemeat pie mentioned, YUCK!!

16 hours ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

Balutes!

From what I have heard about them I thought it was something that the people of the Philippines invented to see how drunk a sailor was. I have never been to the PI or have seen a ballute but they sound terrible to me.  

9 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Brains and balls is pretty much where I draw the line, but it actually depends on the company of other people and the circumstances.

Try This (if you haven’t yet!):

Tripe is a main ingredient in the old Mexican soup, stand-by hangover cure called “Menudo”.   In the border Southwest, It’s popular in little all-night restaurants and is served with chopped onions and oregano on the side, to sprinkle on top (or not) before eating.  Usually comes with corn tortillas (as bread....flour tortillas if you ask).  It’s also popular as Sunday breakfast in “Mexican” households in border cities, especially if Grandmother lives there, too.  It’s made in a red chile soup base.  It’s spicy but not actually too “hot”.  It is very good!  Oh hey....remember!   Mexican food as we know it, is really “northern border Mexican” food. 

Cat Brules

You mentioned "Menudo" I was watching a movie last night when I saw a guy waiting by a sign next to a restaurant that had Menudo on it I was thinking that the movie was made in 1952 and that Latin group Menudo probably wasn't around yet.

Of all the things listed here the only ones I won't eat are brains, testicles, and balutes. These are all foods that are very easy to avoid, fortunately.

I'll eat pretty much anything else happily, including many organ meats and all seafood. The only vegetable that I really don't like is brussels sprouts, but I will eat them grudgingly.

You used to find sweetbreads on the menus of high-end fancy restaurants regularly, but not any more. I miss those. Same with properly done calves liver; can't find it anymore.

My ma made a lot of sandwiches with boiled tongue, and often served stuffed, baked cow's heart. I liked those, too. 

Innards, and anything made from innards.  Unborn animals.  Okra (except young pods, pickled).  Snails (nobody who has stepped on one barefoot will ever consider them food).  Pineapple on pizza.  Bugs.  Anything intrinsically nasty like that pig jelly stuff y'all were talking about.  Any animal I consider a companion animal.

When my family lived in Nebraska back in the 60’s there were a number of hog farms around and my step dad and a couple of friends of his would cut (castrate) pigs on the weekend. Well they’d bring me along and I’d be the catcher and they would be the cutters. We’d end up with a couple of five gallon buckets of oysters at the end of the day. Dad and his buddies would skin them and then freeze them and about four times a year the oysters would get thawed out, sliced up, breaded and deep fried and a whole bunch  of work mates and acquaintances would show up at our place for a testicle spectacle. I thought mountain oysters were the absolute best thing ever. I’d make sandwiches out of the leftovers and take them to school and trade kids my sandwiches for their brownies or cookies or whatever. I wouldn’t tell them what they really were until after they were consumed. I still order mountain oysters every chance I get.

Yul, Your "oyster" story reminds me of a story of a man vacationing in Spain.

A man was visiting Spain and passed by a restaurant in Madrid after a bullfight. They were advertising that they served the balls of the bull who lost the bullfight.

Intrigued, the man went inside, only to find that there was a six-week waiting list to get to eat the loser’s balls. So he signed up and came back six weeks later.

When he got his meal, there were two teeny, teeny balls on his plate. He called the waiter over to complain.

“I’ve waited six weeks for bull balls. What are these?”

“Sir,” the waiter said, “the bull doesn’t always lose.”

I won't eat a lot of the typical things mentioned ,organ meats,  snails , etc. But one that has been brought up a bunch is beets. We cut them into chunks and cook them in the instapot .Then we drizzle seasoned rice vinegar on them. Eating them cold out of the fridge is refreshing in the summer. Not for everyone it appears.

I don't get it. Mama serve canned beets all the time when I was growing up. I love them.

I told my wife this. Week or so later I sit down to the supper table and there's a mole on the table full of this deep purple stuff.

I put a big spoon for my plate, take a bite, and MY GAWD!! WHAT THE HELL!??!!??

They weren't "beets". They were "pickled beets". An entirely different animal. Nasty.

I had to take her to the can good aisle and show her the difference between canned beets and canned pickled beets.

This thread is titled FOOD YOU DISLIKE.

That would be broccoli, brussel sprouts, liver of any type, pickled beets.

These are - well people claim they are foods - that at one time or another I have sampled and decided I did not like them and would not eat them again. AGAIN. That, to me, is the magic word here. I have eaten them, and I did not like them.

There are many things that people eat (again I have trouble thinking of them as food) they just hearing about them has made me decide I will not eat them.

Half-hatched duck eggs. Thousand-year-old eggs. Bird's nest soup. Lutefisk.

See the difference? I have eaten dried lima beans. I do not like them, and if I have any say in the matter, will never eat them again.

These other things are stuff that sound so disgusting I will not try it.

To paraphrase Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction:

Haggis might taste like pumpkin pie, but I'll never know because I ain't gonna eat it.

I don't get it. Mama serve canned beets all the time when I was growing up. I love them.

I told my wife this. Week or so later I sit down to the supper table and there's a mole on the table full of this deep purple stuff.

I put a big spoon for my plate, take a bite, and MY GAWD!! WHAT THE HELL!??!!??

They weren't "beets". They were "pickled beets". An entirely different animal. Nasty.

I had to take her to the can good aisle and show her the difference between canned beets and canned pickled beets.

I love pickled beets, Aunt Nellies are the best.

Having an Asian wife, I sometimes get some unusual surprises at dinner.  One such item was a wonderful tasting soup which I thought was bird nest soup (I Like Bird Nest soup).  However, this soup had lumps in it which were quite tasty.  I did the unthinkable, I asked what kind of soup it was - NEVER ak what you are eating - Never.  She replied it is some kind of special (those are the warning words to place your finger in your ears - you do not want to know what the "special" is) .... fish stomach soup.  Gulp! What part is the fish stomach - of course, the part I liked best, the lumps (I had had three bowls of this stuff).  After hearing the list of contents, I kinda lost interest in this soup - it was delicious, just unusual.  I eat things that my father ate which were rather unusual for most Americans - Lutefisk, for one, stinks, but is edible, fish heads on the smoked chubs,  not bad - a little strong, but consumable, beets - love them in any form, rutabagas and turnips - the perfect food, mashed like a potato peppered and it tastes like mashed potatoes and cabbage (bubble and squeak) - not bad at all.  Scotch broth and pepper pot - two tripe based soups from Campbell - I think discontinued now - tasty.  Chicken and duck feet - good ole Chinese dim sum material - gooey and tasty. Tongue sandwiches on pumpernickel with slices of onion and horseradish - Yummm-oo.

Asian black fleshed five toed chickens - great.  I do not like sea slugs no matter what variety and kelp snails.  Shredded jelly fish - no taste - it is dried and then shredded and re-hydrated - just no taste - unusual texture though.  No gizzards - please - chicken hearts - OK, if you insist.  Two condiments can turn almost anything you don't like into something edible,  a pepper sauce like Cholula or Texas Pete and yogurt/sour cream.  Rocks become tasty with this.  However Brown Norwegian goat cheese is beyond redemption. - - - then again with hot sauce there might be hope...

STL Suomi

Howdy

Some folks have different taste buds.

As we age some taste buds wither and die.

Just before he passed my Dad complained how nothing tasted good.

Something else to not look forward to.

Best

CR

ps look up supertasters if you are interested.

Alpo:

"See the difference? I have eaten dried lima beans. I do not like them, and if I have any say in the matter, will never eat them again."

The trick is to soak them in water overnight, then cook them with hamhocks or such. Then they are no longer dry.

Balutes!

Duffield

it takes an evil person to even suggest balutes!

Some members of the root crop family are pretty hard to squeeze down.

Having an Asian wife, I sometimes get some unusual surprises at dinner.  One such item was a wonderful tasting soup which I thought was bird nest soup (I Like Bird Nest soup).  However, this soup had lumps in it which were quite tasty.  I did the unthinkable, I asked what kind of soup it was - NEVER ak what you are eating - Never.  She replied it is some kind of special (those are the warning words to place your finger in your ears - you do not want to know what the "special" is) .... fish stomach soup.  Gulp! What part is the fish stomach - of course, the part I liked best, the lumps (I had had three bowls of this stuff).  After hearing the list of contents, I kinda lost interest in this soup - it was delicious, just unusual.  I eat things that my father ate which were rather unusual for most Americans - Lutefisk, for one, stinks, but is edible, fish heads on the smoked chubs,  not bad - a little strong, but consumable, beets - love them in any form, rutabagas and turnips - the perfect food, mashed like a potato peppered and it tastes like mashed potatoes and cabbage (bubble and squeak) - not bad at all.  Scotch broth and pepper pot - two tripe based soups from Campbell - I think discontinued now - tasty.  Chicken and duck feet - good ole Chinese dim sum material - gooey and tasty. Tongue sandwiches on pumpernickel with slices of onion and horseradish - Yummm-oo.

Asian black fleshed five toed chickens - great.  I do not like sea slugs no matter what variety and kelp snails.  Shredded jelly fish - no taste - it is dried and then shredded and re-hydrated - just no taste - unusual texture though.  No gizzards - please - chicken hearts - OK, if you insist.  Two condiments can turn almost anything you don't like into something edible,  a pepper sauce like Cholula or Texas Pete and yogurt/sour cream.  Rocks become tasty with this.  However Brown Norwegian goat cheese is beyond redemption. - - - then again with hot sauce there might be hope...

STL Suomi

I was hungry for some breakfast.....not any more. 

This thread is titled FOOD YOU DISLIKE.

I've cracked open eggs that have gone bad.  The smell made me gag.  The IDEA of eating eggs that have been intentionally left to rot makes my stomach churn.  Therefore I dislike them.

STL Suomi

I would eat at your house. I just have a "culinary curiosity" about food. The wife? Not so much. If we are out somewhere and there is some strange dish I can try, I will do it probably 99% of the time. The wife always has the same line as I am about to try something.

"Kiss me now, because you're not going to kiss me after you eat that!"

She sticks to what I call, a sixth grade diet. Cheeseburgers, fries, spaghetti, fried chicken, pizza, BBQ beef or pork, hot dogs, etc. Maybe ballpark food would be a better name for this category.

One regret I have was that I never tried grandma's "Czarnina". A Polish soup made from duck blood. When word got out she was making a batch, people went nuts and showed up at her kitchen to eat or take some home. One of her friend's claimed it was his "life blood" and would lick the bowl. But when you are 10, it just doesn't have the same appeal. But trying it now? In a minute.

it takes an evil person to even suggest balutes!

Some members of the root crop family are pretty hard to squeeze down.

So Noz, I can take your name off the balute list for Land Run 2020?:D

Back in 1984 a group of American two-way radio dealers got to go on a Uniden sponsored tour of the orient, Taiwan, South Korea and Japan. Needless to say but we were served a lot of unidentifiable food. One guy from Texas told me, at the first weird food place that we were taken, “If you have to ask what it is don’t eat it.” Some of the stuff you could tell what it was and know you didn’t want to eat it and other stuff looked and smelled good but once you found out what it was it didn’t look that appetizing. 

I found with Chinese food, the local like to show off and order the expensive delicacies for visitors.  The problem with this is we don’t like that stuff.  The more common dishes are quite good and if they simply ordered those it would be a more enjoyable experience.  Have had all sorts of dishes, horse, stomach, ox, frog, sea slug, et, but nothing is as bad as stinky tofu.  That is just nasty.  The smell along makes it indelible. 

Archived