SASS Wire Forum

Foods You Dislike

Subdeacon Joe

The tread about Mac & Cheese, and the responses of "I won't eat (fill in the blank)" got me to thinking about foods I don't like.  Not just don't care for but actually dislike and will decline to eat.  
Asparagus is one because I can't stand the smell afterwards.
Tabbouleh (Tabouli) I avoid because most of it that I have tried just didn't taste good.  
Tuna Noodle Casserole for the same reason, all the versions I've tried taste like old gym socks or something.

Insanely hot peppers/foods.  Why burn out the taste buds for the rest of the day?

Canned salmon.  I've tried it. It was one of the things that was regularly in the food bank boxes  I have never been able to make it taste good.

Not fond of brains, sweetbreads, or tripe, but will grudgingly eat them if offered, if only to be polite.

So, what foods would you go out of your way to avoid?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not loud enough... LIVER!

Scrapple

Head cheese

Mountain oysters

Fish eyes

Fried Spam or bologna - gives me wicked headaches. Weird but true. 

I will not eat baby animals - veal, lamb, etc

I will not eat organ meat and there will be a fist fight if someone tries to feed me brain. That just will not happen, not even if I become a zombie. :P

Now, I am adding ALL fish and seafood. Not because I dislike it, but because that will make my gout flare up big time. 
I dearly miss seafood and salmon and especially steelhead...:(

Liver is disgusting.

I've tried a liver based food dish made by Emeril Lagasse and even that was just not edible.

No need to ever eat mountIn oysters as there is plenty of other perfectly good meat on them critters for consumption.  I've never seen a reason to eat them, for any reason.

Fish parts other than a nice slab of fish meat. And don't leave the damn head on a catfish when ya fry it. Disgusting. I can't eat something when its dead eyes are staring back at me.

My wife introduced me to Latvian food, which she humorously refers to as "Peasant Food".  Some of it great.  I learned to like and eat eel, tongue and a host of smoked meats and fishes - none of which I was raised with.

But then along came "galerts" - commonly referred to by those who don't enjoy it as "pig jello", but known in cooking circles as "pig aspic".  It's basically a gelatinous mass embedded with pieces of pork, and includes just about everything, including the feet of a suckling pig.  Ugh...!!!

For the more adventurous among you, here you go:

https://femmeaufoyer2011.blogspot.com/2017/12/ABC-galerts.html

No. 1 on my list of "absolutely nots".

LL

Hubbard squash

Sweet potatoes 

Most curry dishes

Beets, liver ( I know what it does in the body), raw onions dont like me, raw oysters (love them fried and stewed) did I mention Beets?

Imis

Balutes, thousand year old eggs - right up there at the top of the list. Crawdad, Langoustine internals,  and brown goat cheese from Norway (UGH).  And offal from any animal - Urp!

STL Suomi

Liver (it's guts!), califlower, beets, turnips, ruttabuggers (the spelling is what I think of them LOL), mackerel & anchovies. (about the only types of fish I don't like.

I can understand not liking beets if all you have had is the canned version heated up.  Even those can be doctored up to be at least OK. Fresh beets are a treat.

Liver is an acquired taste, and some can't get past the strong iron flavor.  

2 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I can understand not liking beets if all you have had is the canned version heated up.  Even those can be doctored up to be at least OK. Fresh beets are a treat.

Liver is an acquired taste, and some can't get past the strong iron flavor.  

My mother used to make liver about once ever couple weeks because my Dad loved it. I acquired a taste for it, my sister didn't! I haven't had it in a long time so I just may have to go get some today!! ;)

Another acquired taste is tripe. I love it, my mother made it in a tomato sauce stew with potatoes, onions, and some other green thingys! :o

I can't really think of anything I REFUSE to eat.  The only items I can think of are dishes or meats that contain large amounts of fennel.  I am highly allergic to it and become violently ill.  I can smell it while the dish is being prepared and won't go near it.

46 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Liver is an acquired taste,

ANYTHING followed by the words “is an Acquired Taste” is another thing I need to add to my list. :D

Any organ meat.  

Raw, sliced tomatoes.  Family story is I got sick on them as a toddler and wouldn't eat them after.

Most pickles (I can tolerate a dill slice on a burger).

Shellfish, to include oysters, shrimp and crabs.

Tuna, in any form.

Mayonnaise.  Just no.

14 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Coffee?  Scotch?  The smell of Goex in the morning?  :D

I loved coffee with cream and sugar as a kid. Drinking it black was a “necessity” when I went on a 2 week camping trip and had no cream and sugar. I “acquired” a taste for black coffee then and have drank it that way ever since. 

Scotch = Camphor...Yuck! :wacko:

-Beets. Sorry Joe, I'd rather eat a mound of live fire ants than eat beets whether they are fresh, canned or any other way they come.

-Most raw vegetables including cauliflower, carrots and broccoli. I like them just fine cooked though.

-Citrus fruit. Oranges, grapefruit, tangerines or the like. Just don't like the taste.

-Pickles. I do like the pickled sausages however

-Real hot (spicy) foods. With ya on that one Joe.

- Coleslaw. I like cooked cabbage and cabbage related foods, just don't like coleslaw.

-I know it's not one specific food but I won't eat in an Oriental restaurant. I've done electrical work in about a hundred of them. I've never seen one that is any where near clean and most were outright disgusting.

To be clear, I'd eat all of the above items if I was downright starving....except the beets. If I had to eat beets, it would mean that every other thing that could be possibly eaten on the planet had been exhausted.....including fire ants and roaches.

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

ANYTHING followed by the words “is an Acquired Taste” is another thing I need to add to my list. :D

I don't know Pat. Alcohol of ANY sort is an acquired taste.

Are you now, or do you plan to be, a teetotal?

15 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I don't know Pat. Alcohol of ANY sort is an acquired taste.

Are you now, or do you plan to be, a teetotal?

I quit drinking a few years ago. I quit smoking over 2 years ago. My health is so much better now. 

It also helps that I refuse to eat things that I do not like...Kale! Kale is another thing I hate. Gotta add that to my list. When did eating bitter weeds become healthy?

29 minutes ago, Wild lead said:

Eggs I cannot and will not eat them. I could come much closer to eating cow manure

Speaking of cow manure...I do not like mutton. And as I have grown older deer meat tastes like mutton to me. Shame really. I used to like deer meat. 

Nuok mam (sp?), poi, snails, most dark green veggies, peanut butter and other peanut products, Vege Mite (sp?), squash, some nasty cheeses, most organ meat (liver done right isn't bad), most kinds of bone fish, and some shell fish, others abound.

Brains and balls is pretty much where I draw the line, but it actually depends on the company of other people and the circumstances.

Try This (if you haven’t yet!):

Tripe is a main ingredient in the old Mexican soup, stand-by hangover cure called “Menudo”.   In the border Southwest, It’s popular in little all-night restaurants and is served with chopped onions and oregano on the side, to sprinkle on top (or not) before eating.  Usually comes with corn tortillas (as bread....flour tortillas if you ask).  It’s also popular as Sunday breakfast in “Mexican” households in border cities, especially if Grandmother lives there, too.  It’s made in a red chile soup base.  It’s spicy but not actually too “hot”.  It is very good!  Oh hey....remember!   Mexican food as we know it, is really “northern border Mexican” food. 

Cat Brules

9 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Coffee?  Scotch?  The smell of Goex in the morning?  :D

Coffee and Goex were instant loves. Scotch came in handy to fill my Zippo.

Green beans. Sick of them.

I'm gonna chime in here for Half-Breed Pete.

Pete is about the toughest hombre I've ever known.  Tough and rugged!

But Pete will NOT touch Menudo.  "That's GUT SOUP!" he proclaims.  It is.  I cannot attest to its reputation as a Sunday morning breakfast hangover cure, but it is downright yummy!  :)

He also tends to decline raw oysters.  Odd, considering he grew up in San Luis Obispo, a coastal town.  I once got him to try one; he respectfully declined any more.  Which was fine - more for me!  ^_^

Now, as for myself, I draw the line at fish heads.  I have long had close Asian friends who would dutifully offer me the head, but were not disappointed when I declined.  I will admit that it was a mite unnerving to watch them dive in.  So to speak...

And speaking of oysters!  I do enjoy nice, chilled, raw oysters with a bit of lemon and hot sauce.  Mmmmm....!  AND I truly like oysters fried Texas style - when I was a kid growing up on the Texas coast, we often had fresh oysters for supper - breaded and thoroughly fried.  However, California fried oysters I find to be disgusting.  Basically, the batter is fried; the oyster within the crust is semi-raw and warm.  sick.gif  Same with so-called "barbecued" oysters, just without the batter.  If you're gonna cook somethin', for goodness sake, COOK it!  

By the way... sea cucumbers, anyone?  :blush:

Spaghetti or any broad noodles (disgusting)

Whole fish (reminds me of dissection class and I can actually smell the formaldehyde)

Brains or sweetbreads

Chicken feet

Tongue

Anything with fish sauce in it (gross)

Most tofu

Eel (I don’t care what anyone says, it’s a freaking water snake with gills)

Crickets or any kind of bug (that just ain’t gonna happen)

Archived