SASS Wire Forum

Rifle question

Make do

Lately with the rifle I have been ejecting a live round during the string - I can't figure out exactly (I have been trying to go a bit faster) what I am doing - any ideas or exercises to help - I shoot a 66 in 38 special-  thanks

Many times your rifle can run faster than you can.  A 66 is usually nice and smooth.  Back off the speed a little and then speed up a little at a time. 

Good luck, 

BS

I had that problem when I started with an 1873.  Coyote Carson showed me how to file the rim off of the top and bottom of a .38 home made snap cap, so the extractor wouldn't eject it.  Then I could dry fire practice until I got the timing under control.   The dry firing drills worked.  After several hundred dry firings, my muscle memory took hold and the jacked out rounds stopped. 

To make a snap cap, just load a normal length round with no powder or primer.  Then fill the flash hole and primer pocket with silicone sealer.  File the rim off the top and bottom and your ready to practice.  

Try spreading two targets 10 ft apart and alternate lever, trigger, lever then move trigger, lever move trigger lever and so on for 10 rounds.  Then move the targets in to 8 ft apart and do the same.  Move into the spread you would like to be able to shoot in matches.  Do not move closer till your getting the results you are looking for.  You can do this in dry fire also.  Hope it helps and your not going through anything the majority of shooters go through as they work on their speed.  Good luck.  By the way Palo Verde Gunworks make a snap cap that is sized for your chamber so it doesn't rotate and eject.  The kids and I have used the same ones for 9 years.  We all have the safeties in our rifles.  

As has been said. You are pulling the trigger prior to the bolt being in battery. It is a common problem with 1866 rifles as they do not have a lever safety.

Train yourself that if you hear a click instead of a bang, then reach up and cock that hammer for another try! :)

The rifle still has the safety notch-I appreciate all the suggestions and cant wait to try them out -thanks

It can become a problem when trying to go faster. Your timing is off.

The exercise Kirk suggested is good.

Try increasing the tension on your mainspring if possible. Maybe even a new one.

If all else fails maybe a lever lock.

"If you slow down you'll have a more harmonious outcome"

Wilford Brimley in Crossfire Trail

I had this problem years ago.. :wacko:

I had been backing off the hammer spring to make it easier levering..

I also was practicing to try to go faster..

I started jacking out rounds which I had never done before..

A friend told me I was out running the hammer.. :blink:

I didn't figure I could out run the hammer..:wacko:

I tightened the hammer spring back down..

Problem went away.. :)

Rance ;)

Thinkin' maybe just another answer to yer problem.. :huh:

Had the same problem with a 73 when I started going faster. Found out by videoing myself I was late on the trigger and was opening the lever before the lever safety was engaged. I opted for slixprings straight trigger which in addition to being farther forward has less chance of trigger bite. 

That solved the issue for me. I don't know if there is a similar one for a 66.

Trying to run the gun too fast. I’ve done it a few times with my Marlin when I was truly competing but not nowadays. I still run my 1894 pretty fast. You can never go fast enough to make up a miss....or a reload due to jacking one out. Slow down, get the muscle memory working for you and then speed up.

Never had that Problem can't SEE fast enough to out-run my 66 ..... 2CC plus of Goex solves a lot of Shooter induced problems ....

Jabez Cowboy

As has been said already, your finger is probably hitting the trigger too soon in the cycle.  Since 66’s are no longer made with lever safety’s, the hammer will drop at any time in the cycle that the trigger is pulled.  The hammer then follows the bolt forward without enough force to ignite the primer.  (That leaves a small dent in the primer causing many to think it was a “bad primer” or too light a mainspring.

Correcting the problem is a matter of working on your timing: lever - pull, lever - pull; not lever lever - pull pull.

Don’t grind off the safety notch on the hammer though.  It won’t help the problem and might contribute to an out of battery discharge.

Also since someone mentioned the "safety notch" - check that area and the trigger sear.  If you are pulling the trigger a little early, it is very easy to cause wear between the notch and the sear.

I reworked mine so it was not as easy to catch, but that is not for everyone.

Lever, trigger, lever trigger.  Any other combination will cause you problems.

Expert advice from Badlands Bob! It's always good to practice dumps during any practice session. And, no matter how fast you think you're going, think about each lever & each trigger pull as you do it. When you start putting on "automatic pilot", that's the most likely time to jack one (or more).

My Rossi did that when I shot .38 in it.  But when I used .357 it didn't. So I loaded my 357 cases to 38 spec. Then loading longer cases into mag was a problem. Then the shells would get stuck and not eject fired cases...so I figured it was cause it's a Rossi.  Bought cimarron 73 in 45lc. Problems solved.

I'm just trying to figure out what this "Safety Notch" everyone is talking about is.  The Uberti 1866 Replica does not have a "safety notch" in the hammer.  The Uberti 1866 DOES have a "Half Cock Notch."  As mentioned by "others," going fast(er) takes practice.  Lots and lots and lots and Lots and ............. 

I'm just trying to figure out what this "Safety Notch" everyone is talking about is.  The Uberti 1866 Replica does not have a "safety notch" in the hammer.  The Uberti 1866 DOES have a "Half Cock Notch."  As mentioned by "others," going fast(er) takes practice.  Lots and lots and lots and Lots and ............. 

Great CC!  I think you’ve got it now. 

Seriously though, I know that the notch in question is called half cock, but it functions as a safety notch. (Of sorts since it isn’t very safe,).  That was to distinguish it’s purpose from that of a half cock on a muzzle loading rifle or the half cock for loading a Colt SAA.  The saying “Going off half cocked” didn’t come about by accident - or maybe it did!

Archived