SASS Wire Forum

Flying W Ramrod

Looking for a reference book regarding US Army engagements in the Southwest, specifically Arizona.

Retiring in 22 days and want to metal detect these areas looking for cartridges, buttons and accoutrements.

Regards. 

7 hours ago, Flying W Ramrod said:

Looking for a reference book regarding US Army engagements in the Southwest, specifically Arizona.

Retiring in 22 days and want to metal detect these areas looking for cartridges, buttons and accoutrements.

Regards. 

Sounds like a lot of fun.   Good chance you'll find a nice gold nugget or two in the process, particularly after all the heavy rains this past year.   Over 20 years, I've heavily worked (detected) the country both east and west of Wickenburg and Morristown, almost over to Winter Range country.   Wickenburg had an Army batallion in residence there  for about 30 years from the 1840s-70s. It's a good area for old artifacts (and gold) but lots of modern plinking bullets, shot and cartridges there too.  You'll do a lot of digging.  I've found several round lead balls .55 cal. there in the past, but no brass.  There are also a lot of prospect claims in the area, so do your homework before detecting there and be watchful for claim markers.  (If you look for gold, work the purple colored gossan caps on the low foothills.).

Enjoy.   

Sorry I can't be more helpful on books.   The museum in Wickenburg does have some info, but locations are pretty indefinite.  

Another area to look is the grassland west of Patagonia and north of Nogales, particularly the Harshaw Creek area.  There was a lot of past Army activity in that area, dealing with Cochise and his marauders robbing local mines and miners. 

Good luck to you. 

In spring, do watch out for BIG  western diamondbacks. They're abundant in both the areas I suggested above.   Wear leggings.  Also watch out for javalina.  They're abundant, aggressive and will attack people.  Carry protection.  

Archived