SASS Wire Forum

Australia Fires

Rye Miles #13621

Just thinking about our SASS pards in Australia, you guys and gals okay??

My son is over there in Perth with Rob Thomas Band, he's coming home tomorrow. (guitar player with Rob's band)

Thanks for asking, it very much depends where you are. I have a fire less than 10km (6.2 miles) away that has burnt out nearly 200,00 hectares (772 sq miles) already but I have a river between it and my place so I should be OK. 

If you have family or friends in Aust and you are worried look at this site  https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/fire-information/fires-near-me  This is the New South Wales version but you can type in Fires Near Me (whatever Aust state you want) and see what fires are where.

11 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Hey Painted Mohawk, you OK?

Imis

Thanks fer askin' IMIS..yes we are safe , a lot of fires in surrounding areas but thankfully nothing that will make us vacate..we are not ones to live in heavily treed or scrub type areas.

48 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Glad to hear that some of my friends are safe.

Anyone know where Capt. Nelson (Trooper in OZ), Kat House Kelly/Jackaroo, (Amazing Grace/? in OZ), Clancy, and Wallaby live or are doing.

I guess it is a BIG COUNTRY too. So I shouldn't ask.

Trooper is down in Canberra so he should be OK. Sorry I dont know where the others are.

1 hour ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Glad to hear that some of my friends are safe.

Anyone know where Capt. Nelson (Trooper in OZ), Kat House Kelly/Jackaroo, (Amazing Grace/? in OZ), Clancy, and Wallaby live or are doing.

I guess it is a BIG COUNTRY too. So I shouldn't ask.

Howdy Allie..Jack & Kat moved to the state of Queensland & are living on the Gold Coast, I will see them in 2 weeks for the 'Gamblers Xmas shoot..both are safe. Clancy will also be there [ with her partner 'Marksman ] they live in Brisbane which is about 45 mile from the Gold Coast.

Haven't seen Wallaby in a few years, he lives on the North Coast of New South Wales, as far as I know he is okay.

Hope you are well..Regards 'Mohawk

On 11/25/2019 at 1:41 AM, Calamity Kris said:

How about Wallaby Jack?

I be just fine ....... thanks for asking.

The fires weren't very close to me. But a life was lost in the next village up the highway.

Thank you all for your concern.

Awful lot of smoke about.

• 4 weeks later...

An update.

On December 9, NSW Rural Fire Service Commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons tweeted that fires had burnt about 2.7 million hectares — an area greater than Wales.

That is about 10424 sq miles, an area a little bigger than the US State of Maryland.

At the moment Sydney has big fires North and South of it and I am sure there are still some up North closer to Mohawk. Its going to be a long summer.

Wiki says that its 3.7m Hec currently that is 14,285 sq miles 

An update.

On December 9, NSW Rural Fire Service Commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons tweeted that fires had burnt about 2.7 million hectares — an area greater than Wales.

That is about 10424 sq miles, an area a little bigger than the US State of Maryland.

At the moment Sydney has big fires North and South of it and I am sure there are still some up North closer to Mohawk. Its going to be a long summer.

Wiki says that its 3.7m Hec currently that is 14,285 sq miles 

Kinda makes our California fires insignificant.  God bless you all and keep you safe.

• 2 weeks later...

And still going

Burned area 5,000,000 hectares (12,000,000 acres)
Buildings destroyed Over 2,500
Fatalities

At least 13

That's about 19,300 square miles. 

Wow!!! Stay safe out there!!

And another big thankyou to the US and Canadian crews coming our way to help out.

Saw a news item where our federal government has reached out for firefighters with remote and self sufficient abilities to come over, and I know the US and Canadian firefighters are some of the best at fighting wildfires so their support is much appreciated.

I was listening to one of the command centres in New South Wales tasking crews and amongst all the usual stuff a Firecom voice came over that sounded just like one of the great Utah ladies that adopted us two years ago at EOT:FlagAm:

I'm not an expert on all the drawls but definitely not Louisiana or Boston :lol:

Death penalty should be brought back for some of the low life's that are deliberately lighting a good percentage of these fires ! !!!

Its not the starting that is massively different to the past, its that once they start we cant put them out and they are burning longer, hotter and covering more ground than they usually have in the past. 

There have been big fires in the past but just not this many, all across the country, at the same time.

as of today only 2 days since the last one I posted. 900,000 hectares more burnt land and 5 deaths.

Burned area 5,900,000 hectares (15,000,000 acres)
Buildings destroyed Over 2,500
Fatalities At least 18

So sorry for the terrible fires out there.

From what I understand, much of the severe damage is due to the tree-huggers resistance to thinning, clearing and controlled burns. If that is true, it would be great to have a turn around with the terrible laws and regulations that have made this situation worse. 

Be safe out there.

8 hours ago, Go West said:

So sorry for the terrible fires out there.

From what I understand, much of the severe damage is due to the tree-huggers resistance to thinning, clearing and controlled burns. If that is true, it would be great to have a turn around with the terrible laws and regulations that have made this situation worse. 

Be safe out there.

The trick with this is to get them (the tree-huggers) to admit it  .....  :wacko:

An update by state:

AUSTRALIA'S CATASTROPHIC 2019-20 BUSHFIRES SEASON:

NSW

* 18 people dead, two missing

* 136 bushfires burning on the South Coast, Snowy Mountains, Blue Mountains, Central Coast and Mid North Coast

* Almost five million hectares burned

* 1482 homes confirmed destroyed but number expected to rise significantly

VICTORIA

* Two people dead

* Thirty-seven bushfires burning in Gippsland, northeast and alpine regions

* More than a million hectares burned

* More than 200 homes confirmed destroyed but significantly more expected

SOUTH AUSTRALIA

* Three people dead

* 25 bushfires burning on Kangaroo Island, Adelaide Hills, top of the Eyre Peninsula and the southeast

* More than 200,000 hectares burned

* 88 homes confirmed destroyed but number expected to rise significantly

QUEENSLAND

* Thirty-three bushfires burning in the far north, central, southeast and Central Highlands

* 250,000 hectares burned

* 45 homes confirmed destroyed

WESTERN AUSTRALIA

* 30 bushfires burning, in the Goldfield-Esperance region, Wheatbelt, Perth region and southeast

* 1.5 million hectares burned

* One home confirmed destroyed

TASMANIA

* 23 bushfires burning across the state's north, east and south

* More than 32,000 hectares burned

* Two homes confirmed destroyed

ACT

* One bushfire burning in Namadgi National Park

* Significant smoke haze from interstate blazes

NORTHERN TERRITORY

* No current bushfires

* Five homes confirmed destroyed

• 5 weeks later...

So we have gone from this:

Burned area Approximately 18,636,079 hectares (46,050,750 acres)[1]

Buildings destroyed 6,500+
Fatalities 34

To this:

This bridge is about 30min down the road from my place and the Ferry 5 min down the road is closed due to the flood waters.

Fires two weeks ago and Flood today.

A land of drought and flooding rains indeed.

Not that dissimilar here .....

........ 2 days ago you could walk along the creek bed in your socks and not get them wet....... 

.... now it's broke it's banks and parts of the road are also under water.  :o

1 hour ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

oh we get a lot of breaks .........

.... broken windows, broken roof tiles ............. broken power supply ...............

:wacko:

At least your sense of humor isn't broken  

Archived