SASS Wire Forum

Reloading - Deal of the Century

John Boy

Harbor Freight Hardwood Workbench, 60 x 34" with 4 drawers on sale for $115. If you have the room - buy 2.

I've had mine for about 5 years - Great!  One can't buy just the wood to build this workbench

63395_W3.jpg

The legs are strong enough as long as the force is straight down. The fasteners used to secure the pieces of the bench together are severely undersized and the bench will loosen and rack when sideways force is applied often.  The drawers are poorly constructed and will not hold up to heavy use.

The bench dog holes are metric and need to be drilled out to accommodate standard 3/4 dogs.

The vise is...........cheep.

7 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Just based on that picture the legs look awfully wimpy. Is it more sturdy than it looks? 

YES it is VERY sturdy.  I've had two for about two years now.  Not a single complaint.   No reinforcement is needed.  The table has zero wiggle or tendency to wrack or tip.  It is rock solid with no improvements added.   The only hassle was that it required assembly.  Fasteners, drawers, etc. are totally adequate to maintain strength and rigidity for my uses -- woodworking, including heavy hand planing.  

I was frankly surprised at the quality.  

12 minutes ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

The legs are strong enough as long as the force is straight down. The fasteners used to secure the pieces of the bench together are severely undersized and the bench will loosen and rack when sideways force is applied often.  The drawers are poorly constructed and will not hold up to heavy use.

The bench dog holes are metric and need to be drilled out to accommodate standard 3/4 dogs.

The vise is...........cheep.

Got mine about 8 years ago and I have a 650 a 375 PW shotgun press and a RCBS press on it and its just as solid as it was when I installed ( I did bolt it to the floor)  and if your using it for a reloading bench who cares about the Dog holes and vise! I filled the dog holes and removed the vise. All the drawers are full with reloading stuff and no problems with them.

20 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

Just based on that picture the legs look awfully wimpy. Is it more sturdy than it looks? 

I think it will be okay, BUT,  it will need to be reinforced.

Its a lot easier to buy this one and reinforce it than to buy and saw wood and build it from scratch.

Put six (6) straight-across outside cross braces (1x4’s or [best] very thin plywood), 3-4 inches wide will work):

—  2 across the back

—  4 (2 on each side), across each set of legs

if the drawers are THAT weak, pry them apart a bit and gently flood the joints with a little bit of carpenters glue, use a mallet to close the joints and use only a very few little screws to seal the deal.  Wipe the excess glue off (completely) with a wet cloth (important) and let the glue dry completely, too.

The glue in the joints is important on these inexpensive little things.  Just don’t use too much.  Fix it going in and not later.

Cat Brules

I need one to set by the dining room table.  I do a lot of stuff there during the winter.   Big south facing windows and wood stove to my back. 

P.S.  If you are a regular HF customer,  they often have a super cupon worth 20-25% off.  I think you can print one off their wedsite.

As for the strength reference of the bench.  I have mounted  on it that are used all the time -  the following and there has been no shimmy or wiggle, solid as a rock:

* Lee Turret Press

* Dillon 550B

* Lee Perfect Powder Measure

* Herters M65 Powder Measure

* MEC 650, 16ga

* MEC Size Master, 12ga ... to resize all my hulls

... All bolted to the workbench

Then stored on the bottom shelf - maybe 200 lbs plus of cast bullets and my RCBS Rock Chucker press

As for the drawers - mount them properly and zero issues

Assembled with no glue

I have one that I use for a cleaning bench. The vise is handy for standing up a rifle in for scrubbing the bore. The drawers were a little weak, but some glue did wonders. I’m sure it’s sturdy enough for a press. Overall very pleased. 

Great picture!  Lends perspective.

Thanks,

CB

EDIT

Glue is always going to be to your benefit for little constructs such as these, that always seem to be loaded to the limit, or beyond, their envisioned capacity.

The recommendation was for your benefit.  However, as always, do as you feel best.

Cat Brules

I wanted to get one a couple of years ago but Sawmill Mary reasoned I could make a bench like I have in the paat.  I did but basically a heavy work bench attached to the wall.  Took me a week or more digging out heavy oak, plaining it down, cutting out parts,  anchor to concrete wall, on and on.  No drawers or clamps.

I have one of those work benches. I don't use it for a loading bench, but for a work bench in my small shop. I have it pushed into a corner, and it is plenty stable. Such a deal for that price... If I can figure out a place to put another one, I'll get one. For my Loading bench I use another Harbor Freight cart called a Yukon. It is a metal cart with large casters on it, two large drawers and two large doors. Laminated hardwood top and is VERY heavy. I have a 650 and Mec 9000 mounted on it. I also use two Inline Fabrication elevated mounts. It allows me to quickly change out either of the loading presses and put the turret press into service very quickly, they even have a vice mount that can be put into the stand. It's a pretty good system and works very well. Since I moved from our mountain home where I had a huge shop, and a huge loading room, I've had to down size a great deal. These items really did help. 

Yukon.jpg

I bought one of these these with the intention to brace it up in back but it was so solid that i didn't need to.

i have 2 presses mounted thru the dog holes and it works well for me.  I did lose the ability to open the top drawer on one side as my Lee turret comes down in front of it,  but thats about it.

I did lose the ability to open the top drawer on one side as my Lee turret comes down in front of it,

Just move the press arm half way down and there will be plenty of clearance to open the drawer - works for me for the drawer labeled: 32 Long RF Reloader

I bought a pair and fastened them back to back to make a large woodworking assembly and finishing table. I think they are very sturdy for the money. I put a piece of plywood between the legs on each end.  I wish the drawers moved more than 1/2 out. I keep thinking I need to install full extension slides but If I were to do that, I'd build one drawer with twice the depth. The existing drawers are pretty shallow.  This double bench is behind the wood tool chest in this picture. 

I have my reloading presses mounted on a work counter mounted over base cabinets in the background.  Very solid and the proper height for mounting a In-Line Fabrication quick change mount. 

20160110_104237.jpg

I have Inline Fabrications quick mounts on both sides & primarily have a Dillon 550 & 650 on each side. I store boxes of bullets on the bottom shelf & swap out the 550 when I need to size bullets or hand prime cases. I’ve had it for four years and it’s worked out well!

I bought a pair and fastened them back to back to make a large woodworking assembly and finishing table. I think they are very sturdy for the money. I put a piece of plywood between the legs on each end.  I wish the drawers moved more than 1/2 out. I keep thinking I need to install full extension slides but If I were to do that, I'd build one drawer with twice the depth. The existing drawers are pretty shallow.  This double bench is behind the wood tool chest in this picture. 

I have my reloading presses mounted on a work counter mounted over base cabinets in the background.  Very solid and the proper height for mounting a In-Line Fabrication quick change mount. 

20160110_104237.jpg

How are you guys so dadgum neat and organized?

How are you guys so dadgum neat and organized?

They take these pictures right after setting up in a new location, before they get that "lived in" look. :)

20160110_104237.jpg

My shop looks like the World Trade Center after 911 compared to yours. Very nice!!

They take these pictures right after setting up in a new location, before they get that "lived in" look. :)

There is some truth to this. Mine cycles from clean to cluttered back to clean as projects blossom and are completed.  It's pretty clean right now.  

I have 4 of them and have held up well. Don’t use the drawers much as I have peg boarded behind them so all tools hanging. 

The drawers are small, but perfect for sharp pencils, sharpies, notebook, utility knife, chip brush, and all the other odds and ends that otherwise end up floating around the room, falling on the floor and wasting time tracking them down.  

• 3 weeks later...

I have about talked myself into getting a HF work bench whale we're out shopping for Christmas.   But I checked the monthly catalog and the price is up to $150.  Still a bargain but I remember them being $115 or so last time I looked.  I have a 20% off super coupon. Online I can get a 25% off coupon good for over the weekend.   I may still try for one.

Best thing I ever did in my reloading room was make it bigger and put one of these benches right in the middle. When you are helping folks with a rifle, they are not standing behind you, trying to look over your shoulder. They can easily see what you are doing from the opposite side of the bench.

And the vise is used often to hold barrels for cleaning, honing and other work.

Can't beat the price! And one of the better made items from Horrible Fright

Best thing I ever did in my reloading room was make it bigger and put one of these benches right in the middle. When you are helping folks with a rifle, they are not standing behind you, trying to look over your shoulder. They can easily see what you are doing from the opposite side of the bench.

And the vise is used often to hold barrels for cleaning, honing and other work.

Can't beat the price! And one of the better made items from Horrible Fright

That gives me another idea.  I make a YouTube video from time to time and have used a folding TV table as a work surface because I can place my camera on tripod on the other side.  Obviously,  this bench would be an improvement. 

I have an 8' steel bench that has a 1.5" composite top. My 650 is mounted permanently and the others are mounted on 3/4 " plywood that attach by one bolt. I keep brass in 3 gal. jugs underneath along with compressor and shop vac. Once clean, it gets cluttered until I can't stand it and clean it up again.

bench.jpg

I've got three of these HF workbenches.  Two end to end along one wall of my gunroom.  One 650 one one end.  SDB in the center.  MEC Grabber on the other end.  The third bench is on another wall, dedicated to cleaning/working on/fiddlin' with.  Set this gunroom up about 6-7 years ago.  They've held up well.  I've lag bolted these to the wall so they are rock solid.  Probably the biggest negative in my opinion is the drawers.  They work, but are fairly small, drawer track/slides aren't the best.

One piece of advice I found when researching these was to glue them together as you assemble them.  The instructions do not mention this.  Saw on a couple of forums that they might 'loosen up' over time.  I used gorilla glue during assembly.  7 years and thousands of rounds later and still solid as the day I put em together.

i have a great old "shop bench" that would make a great reloading table in my garage -wish i had a place for it in the house , im using a shop mate thats half the size and way too crowded , if only ...................

63803707_HFBenchDec2019.jpg.1c3e8a00b8568a677d0e50509b634608.jpg

Merry Christmas to me! We made a run to the most convenient HF this morning and used a 25% off coupon to get one. 

The package is heavier than I expected and I'm not the man that I used to think it was.  But I eased it off the tailgate on end and walked it into the rec room where it will be assembled.

One thing I did notice is that the top is much thinner than the edge trim. I'll probably add something along the inside edge to make it as thick as the edge trim to make it easier to clamp stuff along the edge. 

I may not get far into it today because Sawmill Mary and I stopped in at our favorite cafeteria style steakhouse and had lunch.  

Archived