SASS Wire Forum

Ruger vaquero vs Uberti cattleman 2

Quickdraw Seanigun

How many matches have you attended? If none go to a few before buying.

I wouldn't give a plug nickle for a Uberti Cattleman 2 due to idiotic safety features. 

Rugers are built like tanks and the favorite of a lot of shooters.

I prefer Pietta made for Colt style revolvers; EMF Great Western II are the best imo.

If you have no prejudice to action type,  seriously look at Ruger.  There are a bunch of custom gunsmiths and parts suppliers out there that need the income. 

I have 50 years of experience with Colt SAA and clones with 4-click actions and couldn't bring myself to make the change to the quarks of the Ruger world.  If I had a tent peg that needed pounding in and all I had was a Ruger or Colt SAA,  I'd use the Ruger.  If I wanted to shoot something,  I'd use the Colt.

I'd not buy a Uberti by any name with the new retracting pin safety system. Although some have them and apparently get along fine.

There are some inventories of pre-floating safety firing pin (4-click, load 5) Uberti out there - new and used.

My first choice (excluding Colt SAA, Standard Mfg, USFA and such in the 2k+ price range) of new manufacturered guns at this time would be Pietta with Colt 4-click action.   

I have a Ruger Vaquero in .357 as my main match revolver and a Uberti manufactured Cimmaron Lightning in .38 spl. as my other pistol. After shooting the Lightning in a couple of matches, I've decided to give it to my girlfriend and get another .357 Vaquero. I'm not fond of the Lightning as it is to small for my hand and I don't particularly like it's safety features. A lot of cowboys like the Vaqueros and many others like the Colts. Try them both see which you like best, I'm sure the pards you shoot with will let you try a Ruger and a Colt. Try before you buy.

As others have said, go to matches and try to shoot both before buying. I have been in shooting for 7 years now. Uberti Smoke Wagons for the first 6 1/2. Got a pair of Ruger Vaqueros this summer. Ubertis are great. Rutgers are better in mho.

I started this game a year and a half ago with a pair of Cattleman II's because of the price. They served me well and I liked them (I don't count clicks.) I never had any issues other than the slick grips in cold weather. I just switched to the SASS Vaqueros. In my opinion only, I should have swallowed hard and went with the Rugers to start. For me, I like the balance better and find I shoot them better and faster due to the lower hammer spur and checkered grips. As others have said, try both in a match if at all possible same applies to rifles.

Shoot as many different firearms as possible before buying. Try Rugers, SAA Clones, Open tops, and Bisleys. They all have slightly different grip frames and will feel different in your hand. Also as if the grips are stock or aftermarket. Just changing the grip can make a big difference in how a pistol feels.

Same with rifles and shotguns. For rifles, try the 66, 73, 92, Marlin 94 and even the 1860 Henry. Each rifle has a different fit and feel.

Go with Ruger.

American made and are 'tanks' in durability.

Ruger's customer service is the tops.

Been running my .44 cal, OMV in SASS type events for 16+ yrs.

The few times I needed parts. They were sent at N/C.

Ruger even gave me some spare parts to have on hand.

OLG 

Rugers are generally trouble free, we have multiple sets. I do like the Pietta-made clones such as the GW II. Those are allegedly very similar to 2nd generation Colts and are beautifully finished.

Rifles on a budget; I would opt for a used 66 or 73. If you are patient, you can find one around $800 or so. Although I like 92s, I can't really recommend them for CAS. A Taurus/Braztech/Rossi 92 is about as cheap as you can go, $300-500 or so used, maybe $650 or so with action work. Marlin 94s used to be inexpensive, but are a bit pricey today. Do not be in a hurry, bargains and sales do occur. 

See what categories you are interested in as some have restrictions on guns that are allowed.

It is helpful to handle/shoot guns you are interested in. Many folks will be happy to do so and/or give you their opinion and how their choices have performed. They may also tell you what they bought first and later regretted.

Good luck and have fun.

Ford vs Chevy. Ginger or Mary Ann? 45ACP or 9mm? All you’ll get here are personal opinions. You really have to try both and see which one you like best. I’ve had both and had absolutely no problems with either. 

(Ford, both, 45ACP ;))

To straight up answer your question, re: Ruger New Vaquero vs the Uberti Cattleman II, no contest.  The Ruger New Vaquero hands down...   But, you might throw some others into the mix, such as the EMF line of Great Western II revolvers.   The Alchemista II for performance, or the Californian if you want one that looks closest to  the Colt Single Action, Army, Model 1873.   If you want a Uberti without the "saftified" hammer mechanism, look at the Cimarron "Old Model" frame revolvers.

But, handle as many guns as you can while visiting a match.  Grip frames differ, the weight of the guns vary, consider caliber... are you reloading or not.  If not, .38 special is far more economical to bulk buy then any other caliber....  Barrel lengths make a difference is weight and how a gun handles.  Look at the front and rear sights...  There are so many models because there are so many different personal likes and dislikes.   Only you can say what "fits" you

4 hours ago, McCandless said:

...  If you want a Uberti without the "saftified" hammer mechanism, look at the Cimarron "Old Model" frame revolvers....

Their Evil Roy revolvers are also available with the Old Model frame with standard 4-click action.

I have a few friends that are smarter than me and much better shots. All things being equal, the most accurate shooters have been, drumroll..........

The cimarron uberti guns. I’m not sure why this is, but they have really stepped yo their game and at a really affordable rates. The only downside is the trigger hammer system, which is very easily fixed by replacing the hammer and trigger with an older style versions. They are still out there for now so that’s where I would go if you are looking for the best bang for your buck. 

I started decades ago with puny .38s. After one year, I switched to .45 Ruger Bisleys. Then I changed to shooting Gunfighter with OM Rugers with wart hog loads of Holy Black,modified by West Fargo, and never went back!

My experience should help. You need to shoot, not one match, but an entire year's matches. Then, if you are missing YOUR perfect revolver, you should change and shoot a year with the new one.

I started with a 20 gauge double. Now, I use a ten gauge 3-1/2".

Smokeless powder was my original choice. Now, I absolutely love the giant boom, egregious flame and the clouds of smoke from my black powder.

Try  a lot and find what floats your boat. It probably won't be what I love but it should be what you enjoy!!!

5 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Ford vs Chevy. Ginger or Mary Ann? 45ACP or 9mm? All you’ll get here are personal opinions. You really have to try both and see which one you like best. I’ve had both and had absolutely no problems with either. 

(Ford, both, 45ACP ;))

The coil springs used in the Ruger last forever, and the Ruger has much better metallurgy. 

The only weakness I see in the Ruger is the transfer-bar. Wifey :wub: and I have had a couple break over the yrs. A call to Ruger had replacements inroute and at no charge.

OLG 

I decided to start shooting some black powder matches last fall.  I wanted to use an old caliber so I went with 44-40.  I found a used 66 in 44-40 and two American Regulators (made by Uberti) in 44-40.  Since I enjoyed the experience I bought two new Uberti Cattleman IIs.  I have filed and upgraded the springs in the Ubertis, but I still can't get them to feel as smooth as my Vaqueros.  I have been looking for Vaqueros in 44-40 as I like the feel and smoothness of the Rugers.

I have one Vaquero coming, but haven't found a second one as yet.  I couldn't believe the raising prices of the Vaquero in 44-40.  Evidently Ruger has quit producing the Vaquero in 44-40 or so I have been told.

The advice above is sound. If you have the chance to try a variety of irons, humbly do it. For me, I prefer the Uberti, specifically the Cimarron Model P. My story is a little different, though. I had bought my first SAA five years ago because I wanted one. I just joined SASS about a month or so ago and borrowed my pards Vaquero for my second pistol. Whether I was use to my Colt clone or it was the different feel of the Ruger, I sprung for another Model P. I had no idea that the hammer was changed to that whole three click thing and it's freaking me out. OK, maybe not freaking me out, but it does throw me off at the tables. 

I guess my point is to try what you can and then make a decision. 

Oh, and you can buy other pistols later if you want. I'm shooting .357 now, but now that I am fully into reloading, I can see 45 LC in the future.

You would be safe with 357 or 45 vaqueros but be wary of the older 44s. Ruger made a batch of them where the freebore in the cylinders was smaller than the bbl caliber so they in effect swaged the bullet down and had no accuracy. They may all have been corrected by now but you never know. 32 or 38 calibers are the gamiest cartridges while fans of the old west go bigger with 44 or 45. The 1873 winchester clone or 1894 marlin can be slicked up nicely so its just personal taste. How much money do you have and how fast do you want it to run. Look up codymatic.  Stoeger coach shotguns can also be slicked up so you’re not fighting the gun, they fall open when unlocked and mtys fall out with a tilt of the gun. As everyone has said, attend matches, be a helper bee so you’re up where the action is, watch to see what guns the fastest guys or the historical guys or the guys just having fun are running. ASK questions and you’ll get your ear talked off. Hope this helps. It’s a great sport.

Just so you know, coil springs in Uberti's /Pietta's  (cartridge or cap gun) put them head to head with Rugers as far as durability goes. So, the possibility of a more correct look, half cock action, or feel can still have the life of a Ruger. Rugers are great guns but don't pass up other great guns just for coils. Heck, coils can be put in all the Colt and Remington patterns. There ya go, .  .  .  not sure I saw anyone mention Remington's. They come in cap gun, '58 cart. conversions, '75 and '90 versions. Who knows, you may like a Remington! 

(  Btw, Remington's are a much lighter revolver which definitely helps in the speed Dept.)

Mike

1 hour ago, 45 Dragoon said:

Btw, Remington's are a much lighter revolver which definitely helps in the speed Dept.

Mike

This is another area where personal opinion rules.  When I switched from 45 Colt to 38 Special I started with a pair of Great Western IIs.  They were far too light for me.  I couldn't keep them on target to save my life.  After a few other makes and models I've finally settled on Ruger SASS Vaqueros.  They fit my hand perfectly and are heavier than most of the others which is what I prefer. 

1 hour ago, 45 Dragoon said:

.  .  .  not sure I saw anyone mention Remington's. They come in cap gun, '58 cart. conversions, '75 and '90 versions. Who knows, you may like a Remington! 

(  Btw, Remington's are a much lighter revolver which definitely helps in the speed Dept.)

Mike

I have a whole passel of Rems; love em all, but yer not gonna run a Rem as fast as a Ruger or Pietta clone. And where'd you get that they're much lighter?

With the beefy ejector housing, they are weighty, especially out front. The 1890 is comparable to a Colt clone.

.....for durability it is the Ruger.......they have never let me down, probably shouldn't have said that.  Please go to a shoot and shoot them all and get what feels best for you.  

004 (4).JPG

Lol!! Well, sure you can run them as fast as you can run Rugers or Piettas (or Uberti's)!! Like I said, set up with coil hand ,bolt and trigger, they'll last as long as "other" coil actions and I'd venture to say you can't out run them!! They are great when set up correctly for competition!! Just did another pair yesterday!!

As far as light, I was comparing ROA vs REM. "cap guns" (which is mostly what I work on).  But, since a new light has been shown on the subject (thanks Shooting Bull, excellent input!!) Some heavier Rems. may be a more "steadying" package.  Wow!! Gotta love it when a plan comes together!! 

Mike

Well like I said, it's the area I work in which would be what I'm most accustomed to. I did list them from '58 cap gun to the '90 so all are included.  Also, just as Shooting Bull suggested, some heft may be helpful to some.  The OP wanted suggestions and that's what I gave. No need to shy away from "non-coil" revolvers, they can be fixed!! That's what I did to the Remington pattern! It's the biggest advancement for them since 1890 !!

Mike

If you’re asking the Wire, historical accuracy probably isn’t the important thing for you; so, Rugers, tough, reliable and easily modified with available parts.  (I like Colts myownself though.)

For a rifle, just know that all new ones will need varying amounts of work to run well (read feed reliably.)  The Uberti ‘73 all tricked out is the rifle of choice for SASS.  But that will cost you $1200 to $1800 or so by the time you’re finished.  SO, my recommendation for a rifle is to go cheap and get a Rossi Model 92 (I like the rifle with 20” bbl better than the carbine or longer bbl rifle).  I would then get the video from Steve’s Guns, his spring kit and replacement for the safety and “slick up” the rifle myself.  www.stevesgunz.com

After you’ve shot a while and decide to stay in the sport, you’ll be able to sell the Rossi without losing any, or very little money if you want to get a different rifle.  Or keep the Rossi which is a fine gun in its own right.

33 minutes ago, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

If you’re asking the Wire, historical accuracy probably isn’t the important thing for you; so, Rugers, tough, reliable and easily modified with available parts.  (I like Colts myownself though.)

For a rifle, just know that all new ones will need varying amounts of work to run well (read feed reliably.)  The Uberti ‘73 all tricked out is the rifle of choice for SASS.  But that will cost you $1200 to $1800 or so by the time you’re finished.  SO, my recommendation for a rifle is to go cheap and get a Rossi Model 92 (I like the rifle with 20” bbl better than the carbine or longer bbl rifle).  I would then get the video from Steve’s Guns, his spring kit and replacement for the safety and “slick up” the rifle myself.  www.stevesgunz.com

After you’ve shot a while and decide to stay in the sport, you’ll be able to sell the Rossi without losing any, or very little money if you want to get a different rifle.  Or keep the Rossi which is a fine gun in its own right.

Thanks for the info on the rossi, I saw them in a few youtube videos but wasnt sure about how good they'd be for CAS I'll check them out because I'm more then capable of my own gun work.

Quickdraw Seanigun

I started with a pair of New Vaqueros in .45 Colt and shot them reasonably well. Built like a tank for sure. I tuned them with SBH hammers and Wolf springs and they're great.

Then I received an EMF 1890 Police (Remington replica) in a trade deal, so thought I should get another to have a back up pair to my Rugers. The EMF is i bit older, but I found an older Cimarron model to go with the EMF. The mainsprings on both have been lightened, but are otherwise out of the box stock. I shoot these faster with fewer misses than my Rugers. The y feel better in my hands and point more naturally. I score a few 'cool' points at matches as well since they're not your typical SAA clones.

As everyone else said, if you can shoot a number of different makes and models, go for it. It should be pretty obvious what works for you. 

1890s.jpg

On 11/23/2019 at 8:17 AM, Sedalia Dave said:

Shoot as many different firearms as possible before buying. Try Rugers, SAA Clones, Open tops, and Bisleys. They all have slightly different grip frames and will feel different in your hand. Also as if the grips are stock or aftermarket. Just changing the grip can make a big difference in how a pistol feels.

Same with rifles and shotguns. For rifles, try the 66, 73, 92, Marlin 94 and even the 1860 Henry. Each rifle has a different fit and feel.

This.

Archived