SASS Wire Forum

Best Cold Blue

Seamus McGillicuddy

I need to replace a front sight on an old military rifle and the new sight comes without bluing. Can anyone recommend a good cold bluing product that’s easy to use and will last a reasonably long time?  Thanks for any help.

Seamus

Yup. I like the cream in a tube as well. The key is to make sure the metal id properly de-greased.

ColdBlue.jpg

I use it on a lot of my smaller blacksmithing projects (and then coat with beeswax).

So, rummaging about the safe one afternoon, I came across an old Belgian-made 1860 Colt replica (Centennial, I believe) that I'd picked up for cheap years ago.  A previous owner had treated it poorly; I'd point to it and say it looked like someone tossed a used, wet diaper on it and let it lie there for an afternoon.  In other words, it was terrible.

So, on a whim, I took it apart, judiciously used increasingly finer grits of sandpaper and steel wool on it, then applied the Birchwood Casey.  Multiple applications, with 0000 steel wool between, and it looks perfectly fine!  A good match for an identical revolver I bought new in '71.  Actually fresher looking!  :)

1 hour ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

have a gunsmith hot blue it.  Should cost next to nothig as they can do so without much effort during a reblue of another gun

Unfortunately fewer and fewer gunsmiths even offer bluing unless it's farmed out. EPA regs have put the kibosh on small one-man shops doing it for the most part.

Acetone is a good degreaser / cleaner for cold bluing. 

2 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I used to really like the cold blue pens from BC, but for some odd reason they discontinued them. :(

I think they changed the name of them. 

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006361137/

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/birchwood-casey®-presto®-gun-blue-pen

There is a review published that covers the major cold blue products.
I am out of state and away from my workstation, so cannot give you the url.

There is a small brand that tested out slightly superior to the B-C brand shown above.
IIRC, and I have an awful memory, but B-C was a close #2

37 minutes ago, Brazos Bo said:

Check out Brownell's "Oxpho Blue".

will blue even with gun oil on the metal. Pretty good product as far as cold blue products go.

I concur also, when I could've just agreed.

9 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I prefer the Super Blue from Birchwood Casey. I've tried the expensive boutique blues from Brownells but none seem to last as long.

I used to really like the cold blue pens from BC, but for some odd reason they discontinued them. :(

I recently put together a CVA pistol kit I'd had for years.  The steel was in the white.  I couldn't believe how well Super Blue worked.  It looks great.

Archived