SASS Wire Forum

If you shake my hand..

Utah Bob #35998

.....please do not try to pull me in for a man hug unless you’re a close relative. I’m not anti social. It’s just not a thing I'm comfortable with but it seems to be the norm nowadays. Call me crazy.

17 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

I got used to them being an elementary teacher for 35 years--and being only man except for custodian in entire building.

brother is still coaching HS baseball and detests them

Kids are different.

44 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I've kinda learned to accept it. I'm related by marriage to some Puerto Ricans, and that's part of their culture.

I accept it from them. Not from others.

As I said, relatives and children are OK.

My Mom was a hugger. I picked it up from her. But, only relatives and true close and long time buddies.

The privilege is reserved for true friends that I haven’t seen in a good while and a VERY few friends who are really really close!

Otherwise, a handshake is enough.

There is a proper etiquette for hugging cowgirls. I observe that.

Mostly they tend to hug me before I could possibly stop them....  and I generally don’t mind!:lol:

Not a fan either! My grown sons and some family I haven't seen in a long time but that's it!! No man hugs please!!:lol:

3 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

There is a proper etiquette for hugging cowgirls. I observe that.

Mostly they tend to hug me before I could possibly stop them....  and I generally don’t mind!:lol:

I usually tell her that she has just two hours to stop. 

5 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Even Cowgirls?

We’re just talking men here. Hence the term man-hug. ;)

A lot of this touchy-feely huggy stuff is cultural.  I was raised to hug my grandmother/grandfather and kiss them on the forehead as we entered their home and as we left their home.  Same with my mother/father.  My children are anemic at this - one follows the tradition, others not so much.  Grandchildren are spotty at best with a hug. Culture changes - kinda have to go with the flow on this - it was a sign of respect that we did this.  Oh well, I guess a hand shake and a grasp of the shoulder will work. :-/

STL Suomi

I'm not a hugger.  I'm comfortable hugging Sawmill Mary and been doing that for over 50 years.  I'm comfortable giving my two granddaughters a light quick hug on meeting or departing.  

My parents past away within a month of each other.  Besides the obvious,  I truly dreaded the hugging.  Not just the close contact but the stinky perfume,  cologne, and body soap.  Old women want to keep you in a long, tight embrace and express their condolences. All I could endure.  I was literally sick from the saturation of stinky stuff.  

Fortunately,  the man hug is not practiced in our area, at least by mature men.

31 minutes ago, St. Louis Suomi SASS #31905 said:

A lot of this touchy-feely huggy stuff is cultural.  I was raised to hug my grandmother/grandfather and kiss them on the forehead as we entered their home and as we left their home.  Same with my mother/father.  My children are anemic at this - one follows the tradition, others not so much.  Grandchildren are spotty at best with a hug. Culture changes - kinda have to go with the flow on this - it was a sign of respect that we did this.  Oh well, I guess a hand shake and a grasp of the shoulder will work. :-/

STL Suomi

I was just about to mention that.  My mom's side of the family, eastern Europe, very huggy.  Dad's side, English/German not so much.  At church, Russian Orthodox, lots of hugging and cheek kissing.  

I'm not big into hugging, generally. I'm OK with hugs from the relatives I choose to associate with, simply because. I'll do the "man hug" with close friends from the military, but with anyone else, I'm happy to pass.

OK you have to realize that there different types of hugs. Man hugs other than from my sons isn't appreciated. Hug from a female if it's that girl hug thing where they just kind of lean forward and touch shoulders I can do without ; however those full frontal hugs from a blessed gal is very welcome!

Don’t misunderstand me. I am not anti-hug. I hug the mrs a few dozen times a day. Also babies and dogs. I even used to have a cat I occasionally hugged....when she’d let me. ;)
I draw the line at trees, bunnies and other guys.

Archived