SASS Wire Forum

New Thanksgiving Tradition Grits and Shrimp???

Sedalia Dave

Shrimp and Grits Dressing

from Southern Living Magazine

1 pound peeled, medium-size raw shrimp

3 cups chicken broth

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. ground red pepper

1 cup uncooked regular grits

1/2 cup butter

3 large eggs, lightly beaten

1 red bell pepper, diced

1 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs

1 cup chopped green onions

1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Devein shrimp, if desired.

Bring broth and next two ingredients to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk in grits, and return to a boil; reduce heat to low, and stir in butter. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat.

Stir together eggs and next four ingredients in a large bowl. Gradually stir about one-fourth of hot grits mixture into egg mixture; add egg mixture to remaining hot grits mixture, stirring constantly. Stir in shrimp until well blended. Pour grits mixture into a lightly greased 11-x 7-inch baking dish.

Bake at 325 degrees for 55 minutes to 1 hour or until mixture is set. Let stand 10 minutes.

I always cut up my veggies before I start cooking. I just like to have them waiting for me. The first time I made this recipe, I used the amounts given in the original recipe and made an 11"x7" dish. I knew I would need more to feed a bigger crowd, so I used 50% more ingredients to make a 9"x13" dish for Thanksgiving. I used four eggs plus a tablespoon of water in the larger recipe. Otherwise, everything else increased by 50% rather easily. In addition to the red peppers and green onions, I stretched the larger batch with a half of a green bell pepper.

I changed the original recipe by adding a couple of cloves of chopped garlic and 1/2 tsp. of seafood seasoning to the shrimp before incorporating them into the dish. I just wanted to add a little extra flavor.

Words cannot express how absolutely amazing this tastes! Even if you don't like grits, I want you to try this. The grits were moist and flavorful and the texture is truly that of dressing. I believe I have started a new Thanksgiving tradition. I hardly think I can show up next year without this dish. That could lead to an uprising of historial proportions!

IMG_9647.jpg

Enjoy!!

We're having a Potluck Thanksgiving dinner after the shoot this Sunday, I'll think I'll try this out on the club.

The only way I've ever been able to enjoy grits has been with red eye gravy.

But this looks right enticing!  :)

Love shrimp and grits. That looks real good.

I have got to try that recipe; as my mouth started salivating reading the ingredients section. Long before I got to the process.

This sounds very good!

I’m going to try it.   THANKS

Cat Brules 

Just put my batch of Shrimp and Grits in the oven. If it tastes as good as it smells, we got a winner. As soon as it's done we head to my sister's and her family as well as two of my three younguns and their families. Sedalia Dave, I'm counting on ya ta make me a Thanksgiving legend.:D

I think I’ll make this for Christmas brunch!

I think I’ll make this for Christmas brunch!

Same here.

This is my new favorite shrimp and grits recipe. I just finished turkey dinner and now my mouth is watering again

Archived