SASS Wire Forum

What do you carry in your cart at match?

Dusty Devil Dale

Another thread here prompted this.  I thought new shooters might like to hear everyone's thoughts on what needs to be carried on-board. 

(I admit, up front, I'm an extremist when it comes to being prepared.) 

I load the cart for my wife and me.  It carries two rifles, two shotguns, holsters and SG slides, loaded stage ammo pouches, extra ammo, specific size screwdrivers and other tools for Vaquero and '73 rifle on-the-spot repairs, a squib rod, lunch, drinks, gun oil, SG bore brush (Tornado), pre-cut SG patches, a Slix SG shell tool, pocket knife, a rifle jamb tool, an extra empty SG shell bandoleer, tools for brass pick-up, tools for repairing targets/stands, box of assorted band aids, occasionally an umbrella, and a 6-mill 30x30" clear plastic bag (from Exline.com) as a rain cover.  I've tried to reduce the load, but I always seemed to end up running back to the truck for something between stages.  (Yep, there are more tools, food, spare guns, ammo, jackets, etc. in the truck). 

So what did I leave out? 

Pistol & rifle Ammo, SG shells, jerky or trail mix, water, coffee if needed, squib tool, screwdriver with appropriate bits for the guns I’m using, phone, pen, wallet, keys, quick clot in the event of something horrible happening, cleaning stuff (very basic stuff) and a bag for brass.

I’ve thought about waders for the times when the BS gets deep!

I go simple.  Two long guns, ammo, Ballistol, a screwdriver with assorted bits, extra earplugs, and some water.  I wear my leather and sixguns.  If for some reason I need to go lighter, I use my saddlebags with the same gear.

1 hour ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Another thread here prompted this.  I thought new shooters might like to hear everyone's thoughts on what needs to be carried on-board. 

I load the cart for my wife and me.  It carries two rifles, two shotguns, holsters and SG slides, loaded stage ammo pouches, extra ammo, specific size screwdrivers and other tools for Vaquero and '73 rifle on-the-spot repairs, a squib rod, lunch, drinks, gun oil, SG bore brush (Tornado), pre-cut SG patches, a Slix SG shell tool, pocket knife, a rifle jamb tool, an extra empty SG shell bandoleer, tools for brass pick-up, tools for repairing targets/stands, box of assorted band aids, occasionally an umbrella, and a 6-mill 30x30" clear plastic bag (from Exline.com) as a rain cover.  I've tried to reduce the load, but I always seemed to end up running back to the truck for something between stages.  (Yep, there are more tools, food, spare guns, ammo, jackets, etc. in the truck). 

So what did I leave out? 

A young, strong person to haul all that stuff around.:rolleyes:

Guns, ammo, water. The truck or car is normally very close to the range. If it's further to the truck then I'll grab a screwdriver set although I've never needed anything. It's not that nothing has ever went wrong for me but during those times it wasn't something I was going to fix on the range anyway. It's more feasible just to grab a backup gun out of the vehicle or borrow something to finish the match. I have considered adding a shotgun chamber swab to the cart but haven't found the perfect one for me and so I run without. I may add some hand wipes to the cart because I like to eat an apple or whatever to keep me level, and I'm increasingly more paranoid about lead.

It is during practice sessions that I determine what I need. When I used to shoot a Marlin I knew that I needed to carry a screwdriver because the screw came loose during practice.

When my other half is with me there is every thing but the kitchen sink. Waaa, Haa.

1860 , 12 Hammersed sxs  , 1851x2 & ammo ,

Black powder , Balls , Caps , Balistal ,

Wendx spray bottle, Bottle of Water with soap in it .

Squib rod ,  Cleaning rod with paper towel. 

Powder inc loader & Short table .

Rag to wipe down guns with .

Drinking water and Snacks .

Umbrella and saddle bags with tools if needed .

Baby wipes and Sunscreen. 

You could hire a local guy from the community college to be your “gun bearer” or “caddy,” or “cart wrangler,” to move you from one stage to the next, and handle the gear, and any running back an fort to the truck.

Just a thought.:rolleyes:

Cat Brules

In my opinion, this is pretty much a must have:

UniqueTek Magazine End Cap Wrench 

For 1866 and 1873 CAS Rifles

$20.00

www.uniquetek.com

(480) 507-0866

Cat Brules

19 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

You could hire a local guy from the community college to be your “gun bearer” or “caddy,” or “cart wrangler,” to move you from one stage to the next, and handle the gear, and any running back an fort to the truck.

Just a thought.:rolleyes:

Cat Brules

In California, to hire anybody, you have to have Comp insurance policy and all the tax numbers, etc.  So us old guys, to be legal, have to pretty much DIY or work through a hiring agency.  Now at 70, how I wish it was different here.  

7 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

(Yep, there are more tools, food, spare guns, ammo, jackets, etc. in the truck). 

So what did I leave out? 

Holly Guacamole Batman!!:o Start over with what do you need in it. Two long guns, ammo, hand towel and umbrella. Pistols and leather are on me, screw driver in bullet loop. Everything else is in the truck as needed......or look for someone with too much stuff in theirs and borrow anything you may need from them.;) Good Luck:) 

Other than guns and ammo........I pack a soft sack lunch box with a sandwich, water and fruit 

A knife, a leatherman, screwdriver, pens, small first aid kit, extra ear plugs and SASS shooters handbook.;) I'm good to go!!

1 hour ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

In California, to hire anybody, you have to have Comp insurance policy and all the tax numbers, etc.  So us old guys, to be legal, have to pretty much DIY or work through a hiring agency.  Now at 70, how I wish it was different here.  

Shhhhh!:angry:

’Sides, I thought that if the “employee’s” total annual compensation (from you) is <$600, such add’l “benefits compensation” (from you to the Fed) is waived, and does not apply.  Anyway, that’s my story!:lol:

1 minute ago, Cat Brules said:

Shhhhh!:angry:

’Sides, I thought that if the “employee’s” total annual compensation (from you) is <$600, such add’l “benefits compensation” (from you to the Fed) is waived, and does not apply.  Anyway, that’s my story!:lol:

True, it comes under "casual labor". ;)

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

True, it comes under "casual labor". ;)

Until they fall down and skin their knee.  Then I understand you have liability and possible enforcement action (if you have more than 4 employees) for not being Comp insured.  

4 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

@#$%^ )*  ^(%$$   Never Mind :rolleyes:

43 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Until they fall down and skin their knee.  Then I understand you have liability and possible enforcement action (if you have more than 4 employees) for not being Comp insured.  

I don’t think you’re responsible as long as they’re listed as casual labor. I’d like  to know where you heard that. ??

24 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I don’t think you’re responsible as long as they’re listed as casual labor. I’d like  to know where you heard that. ??

Let me try to find it.  I think it was on the State Compensation Insurance website.  I will get back to you.  

16 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Let me try to find it.  I think it was on the State Compensation Insurance website.  I will get back to you.  

Look in the cart!

Guns plus spares (including a pistol).  Squib rod.  Tool kit.  First aid kit.  Tylenol and Motrin.  Extra ammunition.  Extra hearing protection. Extra shooting glasses.  Garbage bag (rain cover).  Chair.  Lubricant. Pens.  Protein bars. Bug spray.  Sunscreen.  Lens wipes.  

pretty much what you take, minus the extra tools and lunch. Our lunch has it there . Plus towels ( gets humid in the summer), bug spray, those little powder drink packs or liquid concentrate, and a stool. Oh, and miss tickets.:D

Almost forgot. Some tapioca pudding for Chancy Shot. Those old folks love tapioca pudding.:P

14 minutes ago, Hells Comin said:

Buy spray 

What's that?

It's a little squirt bottle full of water. You sneak up behind your competition while they are shooting and give them a little squirt in the ear. It "bugs" the hell out of them. Good for at least two misses and a P if you're lucky.:lol:

Disclaimer: Marshal Chance Morgun does not recommend or endorse this type of activity.

I bring my red tipped cane so I don't have to spot.  You can get one at Palo Verde Gunworks!!!!!   and a back brace so you don't have to pick up brass.  That is why there is so many TO's.  

On our cart, outside of guns & match ammo, we have saddlebags on each side (hers & mine) & a wooden box.  The box holds a full screwdriver set, pair of pliers, extra ammo, a small-format set of shooter handbooks (SHB, RO1, RO2 & WB), a can of spray Ballistol & a couple of hand towels.  The saddlebag on my side holds my safety glasses, ear plugs, a couple of screwdrivers, a set of allen wrenches, a magazine plug tool, 2 12 ga shotgun swabs & a couple of pens.  The bag on her side has cleaning stuff for glasses, 5 or 6 12 ga swabs, 2 or 3 38 cal swabs, 6 or 8 pens, a hairbrush, at least 2 emery boards & God knows how many lipsticks.  For some reason, the last 3 items are the most important.   Damned if I know why.

Holler

52 minutes ago, Hollifer A. Dollar said:

, 6 or 8 pens, a hairbrush, at least 2 emery boards & God knows how many lipsticks.  For some reason, the last 3 items are the most important.  

What's wrong with u if you're having a bad day shooting you want to look good. That why i carry those items. 

Hells Comin 

18 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

A young, strong person to haul all that stuff around.:rolleyes:

This speaks to the selection of the style of woman for your next wife.

3 boxes of shotgun shells. Once we’ve topped off our shotgun belts one of those will hold used brass. Box of 200 .38, box of 200 .32. Eight .38 loading blocks. One .38/.32 loading strip. Dry hands lotion. Crown Royal bag with gun cart parts. A couple of ziplock bags with trail mix and jerky.

12 hours ago, Noz said:

This speaks to the selection of the style of woman for your next wife.

Young, strong and able to tote the gun cart......what's not to like? So long as she likes shooting, camping and fishing it'd work. I hope she sends me pics of her guns, RV and boat soon.

In addition to the usual stuff, I carry a set of digital calipers, a tape measure, and a pen and paper.

Someone's is always needing something made.

Archived