SASS Wire Forum

Standard Mfg SAA

Barbwire Bill, SASS #661

2 hours ago, Barbwire Bill, SASS #661 said:

Just curious if they are just collector pieces or real shooters?

What makes a collector piece not a real shooter?   Are they made of cheap steel, have spiked barrels or something?   If it can't go bang then how is it possibly collectible?

I handled one......I was impressed.  I just with I could afford one. Read the following by Joe Perkins......scroll down to the comment on the Standard Single Actions......I have a lot of respect for Joe, he knows his stuff.

https://classicsingleaction.com/opinion

2004070222_StandardManufacturingsingleactionOct2019.jpg.7c9ce1f4a0b4b50534f493296d6e37ce.jpg

We handled on at Bud's Guns near Knoxville a couple of months back. Very impressive. They talk a lot about them a lot on Colt forum.  They are bringing out more models and calibers.  One guy placed an order for one with several non-standard features and they said ok, we'll have it in 3 weeks.  

4 hours ago, Hashknife Cowboy said:

I handled one......I was impressed.  I just with I could afford one. Read the following by Joe Perkins......scroll down to the comment on the Standard Single Actions......I have a lot of respect for Joe, he knows his stuff.

https://classicsingleaction.com/opinion

WOW A  Great Read !

Thank you for posting this info .

Rooster 

I read the article by Joe Perkins and found it very informative. While visiting Standard Manufacturing's website I noticed they make 1911's as well. These look great at a decent price with a match barrel and bushing and checkered front strap. The magazines look good too. I can ask on the WB wire, but does anyone here have experience with SM's 1911?

There's a local shooter that has a pair of the SAA's from Standard and they are beautiful!

Tully 

I’ve been considering getting one or a pair. Currently they are made on the beefier usfa/uberti frames, and I prefer the colt frames. They had said they were going to introduce the bp frames in 44-40 on the colt specs, but they apparently decided not to go that route and stuck with the larger frames. That’s unfortunate. Colt currently does not off a bp frame these days. As lovely as these guns are, I don’t think they will hold their value over a colt, as at the end of the day they are still considered a clone. For my money, I’d rather spend $2k on a Colt than a standard. 

51 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

I’ve been considering getting one or a pair. Currently they are made on the beefier usfa/uberti frames, and I prefer the colt frames. They had said they were going to introduce the bp frames in 44-40 on the colt specs, but they apparently decided not to go that route and stuck with the larger frames. That’s unfortunate. Colt currently does not off a bp frame these days. As lovely as these guns are, I don’t think they will hold their value over a colt, as at the end of the day they are still considered a clone. For my money, I’d rather spend $2k on a Colt than a standard. 

I agree, although I do like the look of the 44-40 on Standards' web site.  I noticed that the BP frame pistol is $300 more than the standard 44.

13 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

I agree, although I do like the look of the 44-40 on Standards' web site.  I noticed that the BP frame pistol is $300 more than the standard 44.

$300 more? Hmm. Perhaps that’s why colt stopped making them

2 hours ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

As lovely as these guns are, I don’t think they will hold their value over a colt, as at the end of the day they are still considered a clone. For my money, I’d rather spend $2k on a Colt than a standard. 

I understand and agree with the reasoning behind this statement.   However, consider the following; USFA.   The exact same things were said about them, and since the company ceased to be, not only have they held their value, they have actually gone up.   And, there is also this reality, when was the last time you'd seen a new Colt, anywhere?  I can't remember the last time I did.

While I hope the company does not go the way of USFA, I can see the Standard guns going the same way as the USFA's in terms of holding and appreciating in value.

36 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

And, there is also this reality, when was the last time you'd seen a new Colt, anywhere?  I can't remember the last time I did.

Look around.  The brand new Colt SAA are in good supply right now.  And at prices at or less than MSRP or Standard Mfg.   Local gun shop has some new or unfired or used ones in srock most of the time.   He got 6 in in one day!

2016192140_ColtSAA1.jpg.41bdc3779994359c14d6dd8d2f320cd2.jpg

Bought this brand new one last July at under MSRP. 

51 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I understand and agree with the reasoning behind this statement.   However, consider the following; USFA.   The exact same things were said about them, and since the company ceased to be, not only have they held their value, they have actually gone up.   And, there is also this reality, when was the last time you'd seen a new Colt, anywhere?  I can't remember the last time I did.

While I hope the company does not go the way of USFA, I can see the Standard guns going the same way as the USFA's in terms of holding and appreciating in value.

New colts are definitely back out there. As for the USFA and standard comparison may seem appropriate, USFA didn’t really start to go up in value until after they stopped making them. And even still, folks always say that USFA is far better than a colt, and yet the colt will go for higher prices on the auction sites. Right or wrong, the market dictates the name brings in more perceived value

On 11/22/2019 at 12:01 PM, Warden Callaway said:

Do you notice that it's slightly larger than a Colt?

This is from the article mentioned: "As far as size comparison they are so close to a 3rd Gen Colt it doesn't matter. We are talking a couple of thousandths of an inch." Three thousands of an inch is the thickness of a piece of paper.

16 minutes ago, Cholla said:

This is from the article mentioned: "As far as size comparison they are so close to a 3rd Gen Colt it doesn't matter. We are talking a couple of thousandths of an inch." Three thousands of an inch is the thickness of a piece of paper.

Lots of conversations on other forums comparing  Standard with Colt - Colt Forum for one - are saying .030 larger cylinder than Colt,  not .003.  Still not a lot but adds up to larger, taller window opened and heavier top strap.  

37 minutes ago, Barbwire Bill, SASS #661 said:

What kind of street prices are you seeing for Colts?

i haven’t seen one in my area for a long time and on Gunbroker they seem to be going for around $2000 or maybe a little less 

Local gunshop had a NIB 2011 made nickel storekeeper in 44WCF $1800. Got in and sold a Samuel Colt SAA in 44WCF 7.5 box and display case, etc,  sold at $1500.  

31 minutes ago, Barbwire Bill, SASS #661 said:

i haven’t seen one in my area for a long time and on Gunbroker they seem to be going for around $2000 or maybe a little less 

Prices are all over the board.  In the last 2 months I came across three, in 2  different places.  85-90% condition used ones for 1300.00 ea  

Colt Custom Shop has posted "We really do NOT want your order" prices, so some Auction sellers are taking a cue from that and asking way too much .  But, like Warden Callaway said, new ones are slowly filtering through at better prices.

On the Classified Wire prices are in the middle, there's a pair right now 1700.00 each plus shipping.

42 minutes ago, Barbwire Bill, SASS #661 said:

That's about right for a newer third generation. You might be able to find one for the MSRP but that seems to be mission impossible these days. There is a heck of a deal in the classifieds. I saw two 2nd gen Colts for $3600. 

I spoke with the Colt rep at the NRA convention and they said they are going to ramp up SAA production but they only offer it in two calibers the last I checked and anything else has to come from the custom shop which doubles the price.

Personally, I would be interested in a standard manufacturing gun if it were something I could not get in a Colt.  I would pony up for a target flat-top (preferably a Bisley) in .44 russian because I can’t get it from Colt or afford an original.  Other than that, you can buy some pretty nice Colts for what they are asking.  

One of these days I think I will buy one of the uberti flat-tops sold by Dixie gun works and tune it up into a nice gun.  

16 hours ago, Cholla said:

That's about right for a newer third generation. You might be able to find one for the MSRP but that seems to be mission impossible these days. There is a heck of a deal in the classifieds. I saw two 2nd gen Colts for $3600. 

I spoke with the Colt rep at the NRA convention and they said they are going to ramp up SAA production but they only offer it in two calibers the last I checked and anything else has to come from the custom shop which doubles the price.

If you really are interested in brand new Colts, at or near MSRP, sign up for notifications at all the regular online gun places. I signed up for pretty much all of them years and years ago and it's been crickets from them until the last year, at which point I get a notification almost weekly. You have to be fast to respond, as it's usually only one, but they are there. I have had a few opportunities I turned down because of either cash flow, or I didn't want that barrel length. Last one I saw a week or so ago was 4.75" in 45 colt for $1836. I am not going to say which site that was from. I ain't giving away all of my secrets now.

17 hours ago, Cholla said:

17 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Lots of conversations on other forums comparing  Standard with Colt - Colt Forum for one - are saying .030 larger cylinder than Colt,  not .003.  Still not a lot but adds up to larger, taller window opened and heavier top strap.  

Yes that top number is incorrect. As Warden says, there are some posts on the colt forum with lots of details on this. One post a very close friend of mine put up was a picture of various single actions, Colts, USFA, Uberti's, etc. Just looking at the picture for comparison, almost everyone was able to tell the size difference. Most folks can't really tell the difference by feel, especially at speed. But if you have smaller hands like myself, you will feel the difference. The bigger, beefier versions do not balance or feel as well to me. To others, they feel even better. It's all about what feels good to each person. But there is definitely a difference.

2 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Must resist temptation to buy new gun.

:rolleyes:

If you got the money, spend it; can't take it with you ;)

I am going to add more fuel on to the fire. These are all recent Standard Mfg Single Action Revolvers that I am currently working on for an upcoming article. One is made to the exact original Colt specs. It's the only one that I know of. No, they are not mine.

IMG_3101.JPG

IMG_3113.JPG

IMG_3143.JPG

IMG_3147.JPG

Archived