SASS Wire Forum

New Coffee Maker

Yul Lose

The coffee maker that we’ve been using for the last 15 years or so finally died and Mrs. Lose bought one of the dual mode models. It will make 12 cups in a carafe or a single cup using the pods or ground coffee in a filter pod. I used it yesterday to make a single cup in the afternoon and I was very impressed. Anyone else using one of these? Ours is Hamilton Beach.

CABB9158-1C0D-462B-A449-4FA5D3C4CCE7.jpeg

We have one at work, and I'm constantly buying a stash of Keurig cups.

At home we use a traditional carafe.  However, my camping gear includes an old fashioned percolator.  I swear, the percolator makes the best coffee!!!

2 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

The coffee maker that we’ve been using for the last 15 years or so finally died and Mrs. Lose bought one of the dual mode models. It will make 12 cups in a carafe or a single cup using the pods or ground coffee in a filter pod. I used it yesterday to make a single cup in the afternoon and I was very impressed. Anyone else using one of these? Ours is Hamilton Beach.

Yul,

We have had one of those for two years. We really like it. Three in the house and each likes coffee a little different. With this one we have our choice. One thing I especially like is the easy cleaning of the needles. The Keurig we had before this got clogged up to where I couldn’t clear it out. 
A side note. I’m sure many know this, but for anyone with a K cup type machine. DO NOT LEAVE THE USED CUP IN THE MACHINE. As the machine cools it will suck up the grounds into the top needle and the water channel above the needle. Once the grounds are dried in the upper channel it is a b...ch to get them out. I found our last Keurig was impossible to disassemble enough to reach all the piping. Finally trashed it.

Howdy,

The press type coffee maker is my favorite.

Ive used it in the woods of  Upper Michigan, camping and in my kitchen every day.

The glass ones can shatter, its quite a mess.

Now they are available made of steel. INsulated. 

And I grind coffee beans as needed.

Make a quart a cup or whatever.

Once the coffee is brewed I pour my cup and store the rest in

a preheated thermos, also steel.

If the coffee cools, a few seconds in the microwave heats it nicely.

Ive tried a lot of different makers.

Best

CR

We've had one of those for about 20 months now.   Great little rig.

One issue to be aware of is that the tube from the reservoir to the head is held on by a rather weak clamp at the top.   

It is a bit of a pain to get to it to fix it if it slips off.  Check YouTube for DIY videos for how to get the back open.

9 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

I saw that and the price scared me away! I’m happy with a Mr.Coffee for $25.00 or so.

Since I’m the only coffee drinker in the house and I seldom drink more than one cup the K cups make sense to me. Even a small 4 cup pot was a waste. I’d like to try Black Rifle Coffee but it’s out of my price range 

38 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I saw that and the price scared me away! I’m happy with a Mr.Coffee for $25.00 or so.

Yep, $64.00 delivered is a ton of money.

I’m convinced that a French press makes the best. But my wife seldom drinks coffee anymore so I switched to a drip machine that makes 1 cup...also a Hamilton Beach. I use AK from Black Rifle with the coffee club monthly subscription. Free shipping.

131AC3EF-F165-4BFC-8D98-01DCF74EF389.jpeg

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

Yep, $64.00 delivered is a ton of money.

Wow, I must have been looking at another brand, it was $169.00!!!!!!! 

$64.00 I just may buy one!

image.png.356d49f616b5833a4d802e4e21e455cc.pngThis is the one I seen for $169.00, it's $143.00 from Amazon.

23 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Wow, I must have been looking at another brand, it was $169.00!!!!!!! 

$64.00 I just may buy one!

image.png.356d49f616b5833a4d802e4e21e455cc.pngThis is the one I seen for $169.00, it's $143.00 from Amazon.

Cuisinart are fairly expensive. Look at Hamilton Beach.

I compared the price of pods to loose coffee. 
No pods for me.

19 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I compared the price of pods to loose coffee. 
No pods for me.

I don’t use pods either. There is a small basket that you use for loose coffee in place of the pods, works great.

If you're feeling brave read on.....

Wife has wanted an espresso type machine for a while and I am a believer of buy a bit over the top shall we say.  Between her and 2 daughters and a million Starbucks and other coffee shops around me I could make a car payment with latte money.  Alas, a few moths ago I signed up for a bed bath and beyond 20% off coupon and when I was in Oregon (no sales tax) I picked up the Breville Barista Touch for her.  She loves that thing, use it tons, and she doesn’t like the taste of Starbucks anymore compared to her own (like me and my smoker).   Now I only drink coffee....but I make the Americano on this and it’s much smoother than drip....i haven’t turned the coffee pot on since having it.

expensive but paying for itself....probably already...

FF454FC7-C635-4330-BDDE-60B48AF7DDAC.png

Get these if you have a k cup machine. You can fill them with what ever coffee you desire. 1 for single cup the other for your carafe.   Made by Eco-Carafe. 

63716EF2-0039-4B3F-BB88-7784C4F82721.jpeg

Archived