SASS Wire Forum

Picked up a “new” 1886 deluxe

Doc Coles SASS 1188

I picked this up a while back through a pal based on a couple of poor photographs and a statement that it was “nice” but it took some time to get it shipped up.  It’s an 1888 manufactured 1886 deluxe in 45-70.  The stock was replaced at some point as it lacks checkering (the forearm is checkered) but it has a bright bore, quite a bit of blue, and good traces of color case.  Based on the sketchy information I received when I bought it, I got it for a short song.  It showed up yesterday and man am I pleased.  A nice addition of the collection.  A couple of pictures just for bragging rights.  

832FBC6B-1E09-4BD0-8747-B0DBD604E381.jpeg

02D99D40-0AA2-4666-9838-9F2B8EFE2577.jpeg

3814BF5A-E100-4B9F-BA12-E96FB9F7B69A.jpeg

A Sweet peace for your collection 

You should probably get a letter from the Winchester historians at the Cody Museum.   It may have some history to it.

https://centerofthewest.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/factory-letter-order-form/

Good luck with a wonderful find!  GJ

Thanks guys, I am pleased to have it.  It came from a fellow from the Seattle area headed into a home who could not take it along.  It was handed down in his family and the are a number of notches along the forearm representing the game killed with it.  My pal called me with a price that made buying it with scant information worth the risk. 

At some point, I will get a letter for it.  

On 11/24/2019 at 11:13 AM, tacobill said:

You might not be too happy  after you spend $75. A winchester letter only tells the configuration  the gun left the factory and the date it was shipped. They don,t tell you where it was shipped or who bought it.

Having a winchester letter stating that it is a deluxe would be well worth the money.  There is a pretty good premium for a deluxe.  

A beautiful piece of history.  If you plan to shoot it, spend $10 to have a gunsmith check the headspace.  I inherited an old Winchester and found out the hard way (deformed fired brass) that it was unsafe.  Good luck and have fun with that one.

A beautiful piece of history.  If you plan to shoot it, spend $10 to have a gunsmith check the headspace.  I inherited an old Winchester and found out the hard way (deformed fired brass) that it was unsafe.  Good luck and have fun with that one.

It is worth a check, but the 1886 is a very strong action.  I would be surprised if the headspace was bad.  

Archived