SASS Wire Forum

Univ of VA reverses stance on Vets Day salute

Utah Bob #35998

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/University-of-Virginia-Will-Reinstate-21-Gun-Salute-for-Next-Veterans-Day-565082862.html

Sometimes you make mistakes. Although motivated by good intentions, I believe we made a mistake this year in excluding the 21-gun salute from our Veterans Day ceremony. Having attended the ceremony, and having consulted with the Commander in charge, I am confident that we can accommodate a 21-gun salute, which had been a meaningful feature of the ceremony in years past. We will therefore reinstate the 21-gun salute next year, and we will make sure to minimize any disruptions to classes and communicate the details of the ceremony in advance. Thanks to all who shared their views about this topic, and my sincere apologies to any who may have doubted our commitment to honoring our veterans, whom we hold in the highest esteem and who deserve our gratitude.

I'm puzzled.

At a military funeral, they have several people fire rifles in unison. They do this three times. and because they normally have seven people do it, many MANY people insist that is a 21-gun salute.

It is not. It is a three-shot volley. If they have three shooters, or seven shooters, or fifteen shooters does not matter. All the shooters fire at once (a volley) and they do it three times - thus, a three-shot volley.

A 21-gun salute, on the other hand, is 21 cannon firing individually, one after the other - boom boom boom boom boom...

Is this what they were doing - 21 individual cannon shots?

33 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I'm puzzled.

At a military funeral, they have several people fire rifles in unison. They do this three times. and because they normally have seven people do it, many MANY people insist that is a 21-gun salute.

It is not. It is a three-shot volley. If they have three shooters, or seven shooters, or fifteen shooters does not matter. All the shooters fire at once (a volley) and they do it three times - thus, a three-shot volley.

A 21-gun salute, on the other hand, is 21 cannon firing individually, one after the other - boom boom boom boom boom...

At my Bro-in-laws funeral they had 3 guys firing 7 rounds each!

This might help....

https://history.army.mil/html/faq/salute.html

In 1842, the Presidential salute was formally established at 21 guns. In 1890, regulations designated the "national salute" as 21 guns and redesignated the traditional Independence Day salute, the "Salute to the Union," equal to the number of states. Fifty guns are also fired on all military installations equipped to do so at the close of the day of the funeral of a President, ex-President, or President-elect.

Today the national salute of 21 guns is fired in honor of a national flag, the sovereign or chief of state of a foreign nation, a member of a reigning royal family, and the President, ex-President and President-elect of the United States. It is also fired at noon of the day of the funeral of a President, ex-President, or President-elect.

Gun salutes are also rendered to other military and civilian leaders of this and other nations. The number of guns is based on their protocol rank. These salutes are always in odd numbers.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

I'm puzzled.

I’ve been to ceremonies where three riflemen fired seven shots each, seven riflemen fired three shots each, three howitzers coordinated to fire seven volleys, two howitzers alternated to fire twenty one total shots, or the big one where four howitzers fired fifty rounds in a sloooow progression, all while I was at present arms with an M-14 and sweat rolling down my neck and face. 

In each case, the respect was immense, and nobody really cared what term was applied to which method of creating 21 signatures from weapons. 

I have no idea where I read this -- I know I read it more than four decades ago --

The 21-gun salute was originally fired in four volleys.

First rank, a single musket fires.

Second rank, seven muskets in volley fire.

Third rank, seven muskets in volley fire.

Fourth rank, six muskets in volley fire.

One-seven-seven-six ... for 1776.

This adds up to 21.

How true this is, I don't know; where I read it, I couldn't tell you.

As Paul Harvey said, "For what it's worth!"

The proper salute for a fallen serviceman at interment is 3 volleys. Regulations specify a minimum of 3 riflemen and a max of 7. Most civilians, seeing a rifle squad of 7, assume this is a 21 gun salute. It is not.

As mentioned above, the 21 gun salute can be used in different situations.
I don’t know exactly what UVA was doing in their salute. But whatever it was, thank goodness they have come to their senses and will allow it in the future.

Every year there is Memorial Day ceremony at the Ft. Lewis Cemetery, which is the old post cemetery at what is now JBLM. It's a small graveyard, mostly full but with some spots still. Many graves of family, wives and kids, who died on post over the generations, along with soldiers, of course. There are four graves of German POWs who died there before the war's end.

I have gone every year for many years now. They always have a very well-organized ceremony which lasts 1/2 hour. The high point is the full 21-gun salute; 21 separate cannon blasts. Quite something.

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The proper salute for a fallen serviceman is 3 volleys. Regulations specify a minimum of 3 riflemen and a max of 7. Most civilians, seeing a rifle squad of 7, assume this is a 21 gun salute. It is not.

As mentioned above, the 21 gun salute can be used in different situations.
I don’t know exactly what UVA was doing in their salute. But whatever it was, thank goodness they have come to their senses and will allow it in the future.

When I heard about the cancellation of the Veteran's Day gun salute at UVA, I added my 2ct to FB. I called President Ryan a first class p*ssy for letting snowflakes dictate campus policy, particularly in regards to military ceremonies. I had numerous "Likes".  With this reversal, I stand corrected, and retract my comment

1 hour ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

When I heard about the cancellation of the Veteran's Day gun salute at UVA, I added my 2ct to FB. I called President Ryan a first class p*ssy for letting snowflakes dictate campus policy, particularly in regards to military ceremonies. I had numerous "Likes".  With this reversal, I stand corrected, and retract my comment

Good on ya, Capt.

I understand that some folks, once insulted, carry a grudge for a long time.

But to my way of thinking, if someone corrects their course after making an error of judgment, I'd shake their hand and wish them well.  It's a lesson they are unlikely to forget.

LL

Archived