SASS Wire Forum

I was king of the woods......

Michigan Slim

So, I shot a nice buck on opening day! Showed me five points on a side as he walked through the trees. One shot. Couldn't have been happier with him. Kaya was thrilled that I got a nice buck. Normally it's her that shoots.

IMG_20191116_201507_01.jpg

So, I'm king of the woods! Kaya says last night that she is going to go out and sit after work. Would I like to go? You bet! Might get a shot at a coyote. 

Ok, so I'm KING OF THE WOODS!

For three whole days.....

That .243 is wicked! 

213 pound 11 pointer......

IMG_20191120_190904_01.jpg

1 minute ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I use one also.  Good choice!

A friend just replaced the trigger, glass bedded the action and floated the barrel. Nice having a great trigger!

12 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

We (Kaya) just checked. My rack fits inside the rack of her buck with at least 6" to spare. But hey! I was king for three days!

Always remember, you can't eat antlers!  I hunt meat, not trophies.  I don't get enough time in the woods to scout properly, and I actually get to go hunting less than half the time.  So I always take the first legal thing I see.

Well done by you both. Our season starts this Saturday.  I take my SIL out as he is in a wheel chair.  He has gotten a buck the last three years.  I go hiking with a gun, read magazines, drink coffee and hot chocolate.  I keep the cabin warm so he can come in from time to time to warm up.  I may drop a doe this year for meat and to thin the herd a bit.  That is unless a monster comes along.

6 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Always remember, you can't eat antlers!  I hunt meat, not trophies.  I don't get enough time in the woods to scout properly, and I actually get to go hunting less than half the time.  So I always take the first legal thing I see.

6 hours ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

Well done by you both. Our season starts this Saturday.  I take my SIL out as he is in a wheel chair.  He has gotten a buck the last three years.  I go hiking with a gun, read magazines, drink coffee and hot chocolate.  I keep the cabin warm so he can come in from time to time to warm up.  I may drop a doe this year for meat and to thin the herd a bit.  That is unless a monster comes along.

We have severely limited our taking of does. The State allowed 8 doe tags per hunter for a couple years and the neighbors took advantage of it heavily. We have only seen three does all year. Also, hunter groups in Indiana pushed the State to implement a 'One buck per year' rule. This is year five I believe. You can pretty much shoot all the does you want but you only get one buck, so we wait. We saw seven smaller bucks opening weekend that we would have gladly harvested in the past. There are more huge bucks out there now than at any time in my life. It is really neat to watch 8 pointers battle it out and bucks like Kaya's walk in and take the doe. 

Good luck to all the hunters out there! I hope your season is as successful as mine. I got to hear my daughters rifle bark in the woods. Life is good.

You're still King, you just got bested by the Princess. Congrats on having such a wonderful daughter. We're still out searching for some elk, they haven't come down out the high country yet. 

3 of us were in Wyoming in October antelope hunting. We got 5, lots of great eating. First pix is Rusty Actions, #2 Patos & Rusty, #3 Big Sage (me) and the last one preparing to butcher.

IMG_0488.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg

phone 005.JPG

phone 004.JPG

15 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

We have severely limited our taking of does. The State allowed 8 doe tags per hunter for a couple years and the neighbors took advantage of it heavily. We have only seen three does all year. Also, hunter groups in Indiana pushed the State to implement a 'One buck per year' rule. This is year five I believe. You can pretty much shoot all the does you want but you only get one buck, so we wait. We saw seven smaller bucks opening weekend that we would have gladly harvested in the past. There are more huge bucks out there now than at any time in my life. It is really neat to watch 8 pointers battle it out and bucks like Kaya's walk in and take the doe. 

Here in Wisconsin the deer are almost like rodents.  At least the southern part.  We routinely see 18 to 20 deer in the field behind the house every night.  I faile do mention  that we live in the country on 176 acres of which about half is open (fields and homestead) and the other half is woods.   The herd has been growing back some since I told those relatives that hunted on our property that they could take one deer per year.  Bow, gun, holiday hunt, buck or doe.  One deer.  They quit hunting with me.  I had one BIL and nephew who would take three off a piece. He didn't own any land and treated mine like it was his private preserve.  My own son quit hunting because the numbers were down so bad.  It also didn't help that about the same time a fairly large number of Amish families moved in and they shot everything, all the time.  Divine providence, donchaknow.  When I got my license the other day, it automatically spit out 3 doe tags along with the buck tag.  But like I said, I'm going mainly to help my SIL and to get some down time.

Big Sage, nicely done!  That isn't on my bucket list but I wouldn't turn down the chance to go.  What caliber did you reach out and touch them with?

I shoot a Ruger M77 (bought new in 1970) in 25-06. It is topped with a Leupold VXlll 4x14 with Leupold ballistic turret. Over the years I have taken over 100 deer, antelope and a few feral hogs.

On 11/20/2019 at 10:16 PM, Michigan Slim said:

So, I shot a nice buck on opening day! Showed me five points on a side as he walked through the trees. One shot. Couldn't have been happier with him. Kaya was thrilled that I got a nice buck. Normally it's her that shoots.

IMG_20191116_201507_01.jpg

Nice deer.

On 11/20/2019 at 10:20 PM, Michigan Slim said:

So, I'm king of the woods! Kaya says last night that she is going to go out and sit after work. Would I like to go? You bet! Might get a shot at a coyote. 

Ok, so I'm KING OF THE WOODS!

For three whole days.....

That .243 is wicked! 

213 pound 11 pointer......

IMG_20191120_190904_01.jpg

Even nicer deer. That rack is worth a mount.

We did European style mounts on ours. Froze the head/necks and took them to a Taxidermist here as he wanted the capes. He did these in trade for the capes.

ANTELOPE 002.JPG

1 hour ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

YOU SHOT BAMBI. SLIM!

Congratulations to you and Kaya both. Nice looking animals. 

But the proof is in the tasting. When do you want me to come for supper?

Had venison Chile, venison and noodles and BBQ sandwiches so far. Let me know when your plane lands and we'll pick you up for supper!

Kaya did mention that I shot a youngster......

5 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

I shoot a Ruger M77 (bought new in 1970) in 25-06. It is topped with a Leupold VXlll 4x14 with Leupold ballistic turret. Over the years I have taken over 100 deer, antelope and a few feral hogs.

I've got the Mk II. Left handed. Cheap Tasco 3x9x40 on it for now. Killed a lot of deer with that scope but at last light it's kind of grainy. Going to upgrade soon.

I shoot long guns lefty, got used to a right handed bolt in the 50's when no one made a lefty bolt. I love my Ruger!

Archived