SASS Wire Forum

Cost Per Round

Iron Biscuit SASS#108048

That is certainly an issue most folks discount out of hand. For many of us, reloading is therapeutic. Or at least cathartic. I don't know very many folks that don't reload, but I did recently talk to a new shooter that was using factory 45 colt cowboy rounds. He buys them in bulk to the tune of I believe $20 a box. When folks tell him he will need to reload, his answer is overtime pays him around $80 an hour,  so by his math, an hour of overtime is the same as spending an hour to reload 4 boxes without having to buy gear that takes up space and getting his hands dirty. As you get more into the city, lots of folks are apartment dwellers and don't have the space for reloading gear as well. He's pretty busy so he only shoots once a month or less and it works for him.

I used to value my time when deciding between reloading and buying.  Back then if I exceeded my contract hours for a year I got paid for the overage.  That made reloading less appealing as I could spend that time working instead, and I like working a lot more than reloading.  I figured I was saving about .17 a round times 1200-1400 rounds a month for a savings of approximately $200+ per month.  It takes me about 2+ hours to reload 1200 rounds, so I was 'paying' myself about $100 an hour to reload.  Under my new contract I'm not paid if I go over on my hours, so reloading is more appealing since I don't have the option to replace reloading hours with work hours.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last time I did the math.

45 Colt.

Store bought.  50 cents per round

Reload with store bought bullets, 10 cents per round.

8 cents per round use free lead casted bullets.  Not including LP for melting the lead.

"When folks tell him he will need to reload, his answer is overtime pays him around $80 an hour,  so by his math, an hour of overtime is the same as spending an hour to reload 4 boxes. "

Not everyone makes $50.00+ an hour. And Is that $80.00 before or after taxes, SS, medicare withholding? Plus you get charged tax on your purchase.

Bottom line, not one size fits all. Everyone can do what they want. Me, I choose Mary Ann.^_^

"When folks tell him he will need to reload, his answer is overtime pays him around $80 an hour,  so by his math, an hour of overtime is the same as spending an hour to reload 4 boxes. "

Not everyone makes $50.00+ an hour. And Is that $80.00 before or after taxes, SS, medicare withholding? Plus you get charged tax on your purchase.

Bottom line, not one size fits all. Everyone can do what they want. Me, I choose Mary Ann.^_^

You do if you live in the bay area, or else you can't afford to live here. Speaking only partially in jest ;)

You do if you live in the bay area, or else you can't afford to live here. Speaking only partially in jest ;)

You make a good point. $50.00/hr. in some parts of the country is just squeaking by. It makes a very nice living in others 

Reloading a round that the wife likes to shoot

Reloading a round that feeds through her rifle flawlessly 

Reloading a shotgun round that she can comfortably

The is all priceless.

I've had one 650 Dillon for over 20 years, I can sell it for more than I paid for it 20+ years ago. So, I can't really figure the cost of the equipment.

Yes, I could work, make more money, and purchase ammo. Reloading is part of the fun. I could also work and not shoot at all. 

All work and no play makes Assassin a dull boy. My cost is .06 per round for 38's, .08 for bigger stuff. 

Sounds like some folks need to slow down and reassess their lives. :o

I used to value my time when deciding between reloading and buying.  Back then if I exceeded my contract hours for a year I got paid for the overage.  That made reloading less appealing as I could spend that time working instead, and I like working a lot more than reloading.  I figured I was saving about .17 a round times 1200-1400 rounds a month for a savings of approximately $200+ per month.  It takes me about 2+ hours to reload 1200 rounds, so I was 'paying' myself about $100 an hour to reload.  Under my new contract I'm not paid if I go over on my hours, so reloading is more appealing since I don't have the option to replace reloading hours with work hours.

I never went to the trouble to figure it out.  I just look for good prices and buy components when my supply gets low, then walk out in the garage and look to see if I have enough ammo ready to go, and if not, set up the Dillon and start pulling the handle.  I've been doing it for so long, I don't think I could change now, regardless of cost parameters. 

There really is something nostalgic or even therapeutic about watching the loaded cartridges (my wife calls it "jewelry") fall into the bin.   For me, it's just a natural extension of shooting -- a part of the fun.   I've heard that the time spent shooting and reloading is not subtracted from one's life.  

Archived