• Created
  • Last Reply

.38-40, .45CS, .45 Colt and .44 Mag smokeless:

$.02 bullet (cast my own)

$.03 primer

$.015 Reddot powder

$.065 total or $3.25 per 50

BP sub adds $.05 per round.

I do not count the brass since I get 12-15 loads per case and buy once-fired brass (except the .38-40)

45 Colt Smokeless: cast my own 250gr - once fired brass = $0.07 per round

45 Colt Black Powder: cast my own 250gr - once fired brass = $0.15 per round

38 Spl & 44-40 = ?

I haven't run the numbers in years. But when I last calculated, I figured my cost per round of reloading was 25% of factory loads. I figured I amortized the cost of my press and dies in about 6 months of shooting once or twice a month. No reason to think that's changed, give or take.

44-40's loaded with a stiff BP load and buying the bullets cast runs me 19 cents each accounting for brass attrition.  If I cast my own I can get it down a bit further. 

$8/box.  Factory is closer to $45 per box and isn't nearly as much fun.

The way I look at it, the primers and brass and bullets and powder all cost a little, but I know I'm saving money and I like doing it.

That brings me to the time... I look at the above items like debits on the account and the time I spend doing it like a credit.

People spend a lot of $$ on therapists, psychologists, counselors, massage, yoga, etc., I get my therapy from spending time with Mr. Dillon, some nice music and shut out the world. Time? Time is priceless and the time I spend reloading is invaluable to me.

44 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

The way I look at it, the primers and brass and bullets and powder all cost a little, but I know I'm saving money and I like doing it.

That brings me to the time... I look at the above items like debits on the account and the time I spend doing it like a credit.

People spend a lot of $$ on therapists, psychologists, counselors, massage, yoga, etc., I get my therapy from spending time with Mr. Dillon, some nice music and shut out the world. Time? Time is priceless and the time I spend reloading is invaluable to me.

You nailed it. I find the actual reloading to be very therapeutic also.

2 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I guess none of yall put a value on the time? 

I'm afraid to figure out what my cost per round will be for the first thousand I load.  I'll have to include the cost of all the equipment too. 

Gambler, I do understand what you are saying about time. Everyone's time has a different value. One hour of a professional's time is far more valuable than the kid flipping burgers at Micky D's. When I was working, one hour of overtime could almost buy me two boxes of .38's. I'm sure that same hour on a progressive press could produce six to eight boxes. Being semi-retired, ( and living in the North) I've got more time than money. Plus, the wife doesn't pay me anything to watch old westerns on the TV or play on the WIRE.

As for the cost of equipment and amount of rounds it takes to start saving money, that depends on your press. But at a cost of approx. $100/ 1,000 vs $300/ 1,000, the more you reload, the cheaper it gets. And you will get some money back if you sell your equipment.

It makes no differance to a Holy Black shooter like me. My .45s, 10 gauge, 8 gauge, .38-55, .50-140 wouldn't get fired if I didn't load my own.!!!

Being a new feller, I recently went through the math and I came up with this for .38:

Just starting out-

Buying shiny new brass - $.28 a round

Buying used / once fired brass - $.19 a round

Once you have brass - $.09 - $.13 a round

Compared to store bought at $.44 a round that's pretty big savings!

I did find factory loaded, 125gr rounds for $267 for 1000 at Georgia Arms ($.27 a round if you buy during one of their "free shipping" promotions).  That's not too much more than reloading once fired brass (starting out that is).  So, I bought from them to collect brass and buy time till I could swing reloading gear (trying to spread out purchases).  That plan worked great for me.  I've got 2400 ish cases now and picked up a Lee turret press, dies, funnel and dipper set plus some misc stuff for just shy of $200 (all of it new).  I still need a powder measure and safety scale but I'm not in much hurry for that.  I've fallen in love with BP and am happy scooping 1.3 cc's into the funnel on my turret.  I'm finally getting a tumbler to clean my brass today.  Found one used for $30.

And then I should be done spending money right?  lol

26 minutes ago, Croc Holiday said:

Being a new feller, I recently went through the math and I came up with this for .38:

Just starting out-

Buying shiny new brass - $.28 a round

Buying used / once fired brass - $.19 a round

Once you have brass - $.09 - $.13 a round

Compared to store bought at $.44 a round that's pretty big savings!

I did find factory loaded, 125gr rounds for $267 for 1000 at Georgia Arms ($.27 a round if you buy during one of their "free shipping" promotions).  That's not too much more than reloading once fired brass (starting out that is).  So, I bought from them to collect brass and buy time till I could swing reloading gear (trying to spread out purchases).  That plan worked great for me.  I've got 2400 ish cases now and picked up a Lee turret press, dies, funnel and dipper set plus some misc stuff for just shy of $200 (all of it new).  I still need a powder measure and safety scale but I'm not in much hurry for that.  I've fallen in love with BP and am happy scooping 1.3 cc's into the funnel on my turret.  I'm finally getting a tumbler to clean my brass today.  Found one used for $30.

And then I should be done spending money right?  lol

The money spending never stops in this sport, Grasshopper.

Just now, Yul Lose said:

The money spending never stops in this sport, Grasshopper.

Yea... I've learned that haha

On 11/20/2019 at 12:38 PM, Rattler said:

If you have a source for 38 spl brass at $30 per 1,000, I'll buy everything they can sell me.

Please let me know. Thanks.

I was thinking the same thing.....

On 11/20/2019 at 9:02 AM, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

No one figured in the cost of the press and other needed items. The question I think you were really asking is "Does reloading save me money?" The answer is , Yes. The more you reload, the more you save.

Do you save money reloading? The answer is no. Because we all know you will shoot just as much moneys worth (ie all we can afford) by reloading. So the question no longer becomes about saving money, but rather about being able to shoot more

I shoot everything I have so reloading just allows me to be able to afford to have more fun!!!!  Anyway, finding sources for BP is hard and finding options for .50-140 3-1/4" is impossible.  :-)

I don't reload so I buy 38 special cowboy loads from Georgia Arms in bulk. Works out to 25 cents per round. I keep the brass and sell it for $4 per pound so my net cost is 21 cents per round. 

I figure $0.10 per round for .38s.  Never calculated .45C, .45ACP, .44spl, C45S, etc. Don't load nearly as many of those as .38s.  

one other thing i want to add here - you cannot put a price on the experience of loading and shooting your own rounds of whatever caliber you choose , there is so much satisfaction in that i cannot put into words , 

5 minutes ago, watab kid said:

one other thing i want to add here - you cannot put a price on the experience of loading and shooting your own rounds of whatever caliber you choose , there is so much satisfaction in that i cannot put into words , 

Absolutely! Kaya and I both shot our deer this year with our homerolled ammo. Pretty cool to us.

On 11/22/2019 at 4:10 AM, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

The music is a great idea.  I'm going to try it.  

On 11/20/2019 at 11:02 AM, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

No one figured in the cost of the press and other needed items. The question I think you were really asking is "Does reloading save me money?" The answer is , Yes. The more you reload, the more you save.

When people ask me if I save any money by reloading I tell them NO but I shoot a whole lot more than I would if I didn't reload.

Randy

I guess none of yall put a value on the time? 

I'm afraid to figure out what my cost per round will be for the first thousand I load.  I'll have to include the cost of all the equipment too. 

That is certainly an issue most folks discount out of hand. For many of us, reloading is therapeutic. Or at least cathartic. I don't know very many folks that don't reload, but I did recently talk to a new shooter that was using factory 45 colt cowboy rounds. He buys them in bulk to the tune of I believe $20 a box. When folks tell him he will need to reload, his answer is overtime pays him around $80 an hour,  so by his math, an hour of overtime is the same as spending an hour to reload 4 boxes without having to buy gear that takes up space and getting his hands dirty. As you get more into the city, lots of folks are apartment dwellers and don't have the space for reloading gear as well. He's pretty busy so he only shoots once a month or less and it works for him.

Archived