SASS Wire Forum

Cost Per Round

Iron Biscuit SASS#108048

I have seen this topic  interspersed in other threads, but couldn't find a straightforward thread on cost per round.   What is your cost per round for .38, 45, 44-40?   

Thanks

Iron Biscuit

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I estimate it costs me about 12.6 cents per 44/40 and .45 Scofield round that I load.

I figure roughly .10 a round for my .38's, maybe a little less. It all depends on the cost of the components, prices vary.

6 minutes ago, Iron Biscuit SASS#108048 said:

The loaded cartridge cost, especially when you look at .45s, makes reloading a necessity.     

Yes it does.

What is your cost per round for .38, 45, 44-40?

Biscuit, Your question lacks specifics  - Do your own calculations depending on bullet weights - powder used - brass: new or once fired

https://www.dillonprecision.com/reloading-cost-calculator.html

Using a 200 grain LRNFP bullet, 6.0 grains of Trail Boss and Winchester LP primers, I can load my .45 Colt rounds for about 12 cents a round.

2 minutes ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

Using a 200 grain LRNFP bullet, 6.0 grains of Trail Boss and Winchester LP primers, I can load my .45 Colt rounds for about 12 cents a round.

At that price Dutch Wheeler,  I could actually afford to shoot the 45s!

I've never done the math....just buy in bulk and shoot the stuffin's out of them! 

Ok, I once did the math on belted magnums, .300 and 375 H&H, huge saving with premium bullets.

Just now, Hashknife Cowboy said:

I've never done the math....just buy in bulk and shoot the stuffin's out of them! 

Hashknife,  That's how I generally do things in all aspects of life as well,  but not reloading yet, the wallet was looking a lot emptier after I got those 45s. 

1 minute ago, Iron Biscuit SASS#108048 said:

I will check out the calculator, but I think it will confirm what I already know, Have to start reloading ammo.    

Yep Reloading is the way to go. Just be should to match your press to your loading needs. No real need to have a $600.00 + set up if you are only reloading a couple thousand rounds a year.

If you really want sticker shock price some factory black powder ammo.

There are some sources for good smokeless cowboy ammunition these days if you don’t “roll your own”.  Bullets by Scarlett’s “Cowboy Cartridges” for example.

59 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I figure roughly .10 a round for my .38's, maybe a little less. It all depends on the cost of the components, prices vary.

Rye is dead on. That's about right if one doesn't consider the cost of brass. Considering costs will decrease with purchase of bulk components.

.10 is a good guesstimate for small primer loads and .13 for large primer loads. About 1/3 the cost of factory ammo. 

One thin dime one tenth of a dollar is in the ball park depending on how much you spend for components.

My Cost

Bullets      $50.00 per Thousand  =  $0.05

Primers     $30,00 per Thousand  = $0.03

Powder     $18.00 per Pound 

purchased in bulk      = $0.009

Cases         $67 per Thousand

purchased in bulk

reused 10-15 times       =$0.007

your cost will vary  

I count my brass cost as depreciating about 80% per loading. That's basically because I lose about that much whether it be shooting at home or at a match. This makes my cost per round closer to $0.14 for 45 and 38/40. That's 3.5 primer. 1.5 powder 7 bullet 2 brass. This math accounts for brass lasting 14 loadings. I very rarely need to discard brass because it has split. I've considered making provisions to capture more of my brass at home but have never spent the time to do it. I buy brass 2000 cases at a time and shoot that until I end up with a pile that looks like about 500 then order more. 

This method I believe results in a reasonable balance that minimizes time spent reloading and policing brass while maximizing time spent shooting. I do sort my loaded cases before a match looking for any dents, splits, or high primers, but I do not run a match bucket and a practice bucket.

1 hour ago, John Boy said:

Biscuit, Your question lacks specifics  - Do your own calculations depending on bullet weights - powder used - brass: new or once fired

https://www.dillonprecision.com/reloading-cost-calculator.html

Because he didn't have specifics. He wanted to know OUR costs.

125 grain 38 sp bullets at $40 per thousand = .04

Federal primers at $31 per thousand = .031

Clays at $17 per pound = .0065

Brass at $30 per thousand used approx. 20 times  = .0015

Total = .079

Since we go through about 1,400 rounds of .38 special a month we're running just over $100 per month for metallic cartridge, plus a case of shotgun ammo a month.

7 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

125 grain 38 sp bullets at $40 per thousand = .04

Federal primers at $31 per thousand = .031

Clays at $17 per pound = .0065

Bras at $30 per thousand used approx. 20 times  = .0015

Total = .079

Since we go through about 1,400 rounds of .38 special a month we're running just over $100 per month for metallic cartridge, plus a case of shotgun ammo a month.

Bras? I won't even ask you what you are doing with the bras.:P

No one figured in the cost of the press and other needed items. The question I think you were really asking is "Does reloading save me money?" The answer is , Yes. The more you reload, the more you save.

Our. 38s run us  just under .07 but that's because we buy large quantities and get some for cost.    Right now I'm loading for 6 for next year...  if I couldn't find the deals I do I wouldn't be shooting.  Im already selling off extra guns to help over next year

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Brass at $30 per thousand used approx. 20 times  = .0015

If you have a source for 38 spl brass at $30 per 1,000, I'll buy everything they can sell me.

Please let me know. Thanks.

.45 Colt

Bullets ,6 cents  255 grain.

Goex , 13 Cents  37.7 Grains

Primer, 4 Cents

New Brass , 16.5 Cents per ,,,,,,,, New Starline Brass

First 1,000 rounds Cost 395 Dollars Canadian..... Next 20,000 Cost 230 Dollars Per Thousand  Canadian ....

About 24 cents per round Canadian if you load 21,000 Rounds and consider the Brass as Done ...

Jabez Cowboy

58 minutes ago, Rattler said:

If you have a source for 38 spl brass at $30 per 1,000, I'll buy everything they can sell me.

Please let me know. Thanks.

Here you go:  https://www.nereloading.com/index.php/38-special-fired-brass-500-count-free-tumble-cleaning.html

$105 for 3,000 = .035 each.

4 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Thanks,

I use 10 to 20,000 per week so it gets difficult to always find enough.

Again I appreciate the help.

2 hours ago, Attica Jack #23953 said:

You really don't buy reloading equipment..you lease it.   When you are done reloading for whatever reason, the resale of the equipment is usually high.  I paid $229 for my Dillon Square deal, many years ago....check out the price now.

I stand corrected. You are right on the money. That lowers the cost even more.

9 hours ago, Iron Biscuit SASS#108048 said:

I have seen this topic  interspersed in other threads, but couldn't find a straightforward thread on cost per round.   What is your cost per round for .38, 45, 44-40?   

Thanks

Iron Biscuit

Smokeless or BP? (or both)? 

Archived