SASS Wire Forum

Grip making

Sarge

I've made wooden grips before and am a wood worker, so grip making is not new to me. I've had a couple of sets of grip made out of Giraffe bone.  Love the grips.  I recently acquired some Giraffe bone and want to attempt making some grips.  Have been searching for some info on working with this material without much luck.  Anyone have any good resources for instructional material or willing to answer some questions for me off line?

I can't help you with instructions but there is a lot of talk about grips on the Colt forum.   I'm sure some of those guys know.

https://www.coltforum.com/forums/single-action-army/279706-types-bone-grips-2.html#post2260874

Interesting to note on this post where he makes the statement that all antler is bone.  That would imply that instructions for making grips from bone would be like making them for antler.  

11 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I can't help you with instructions but there is a lot of talk about grips on the Colt forum.   I'm sure some of those guys know.

https://www.coltforum.com/forums/single-action-army/279706-types-bone-grips-2.html#post2260874

Interesting to note on this post where he makes the statement that all antler is bone.  That would imply that instructions for making grips from bone would be like making them for antler.  

Thank you Warden Callaway.

And interesting post on this same topic on the Colt forum talks about a company that marketed grips, knife scales,  toothbrushs on and on from ordinary cow bone.   Maybe see if you can pick up a large cow bone to practice on before using your giraffe bone?

Last spring I found a large cow leg bone in the woods and brought it home.  I had the idea of wacking a section out of it and seeing if I could make a set of grips out of it. 

32 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

And interesting post on this same topic on the Colt forum talks about a company that marketed grips, knife scales,  toothbrushs on and on from ordinary cow bone.   Maybe see if you can pick up a large cow bone to practice on before using your giraffe bone?

Last spring I found a large cow leg bone in the woods and brought it home.  I had the idea of wacking a section out of it and seeing if I could make a set of grips out of it. 

It polishes well. I made a bolo tie slide out of a piece of one.

My giraffe bone grips were finished by Willy McCoy at Rock Creek Armory.  He uses dental tools! An old dentist drill, (cable driven) and used dental burrs.

Makes for some BEAUTIFUL designs!!

15 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

My giraffe bone grips were finished by Willy McCoy at Rock Creek Armory.  He uses dental tools! An old dentist drill, (cable driven) and used dental burrs.

Makes for some BEAUTIFUL designs!!

Yep.  I've had several sets made.  I want to try it myself.  I have the material. I have questions about stabilizing the material and cutting the blanks.

Most giraffe bone imported for craft is already stabilized.

Now I'm curious.  Giraffe??  Where on Earth do giraffe bones come from?  And of course I know "Giraffes!"  But are they raised?  Slaughtered for meat?  Bones harvested from deceased animals who died of old age out on the savannahs?  Hunted for "hide and horn and bone?"  :huh:

23 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Now I'm curious.  Giraffe??  Where on Earth do giraffe bones come from?  And of course I know "Giraffes!"  But are they raised?  Slaughtered for meat?  Bones harvested from deceased animals who died of old age out on the savannahs?  Hunted for "hide and horn and bone?"  :huh:

The place I bought my material from states that the animals either died of natural causes or were culled as part of government operations.

5 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Most giraffe bone imported for craft is already stabilized.

This is an entire Tibia bone.  I don't think it has been stabilized.

36 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I picture a giraffe running around on a prosthetic leg.  :unsure: 

The bone has to be dry.  Getting it dry takes time.  Trying to use it before then delivers poor results.

Here’s a source for bone and scales

Texas Knifemakers Supply

Houston, Texas

(888) 461-8632

www.texasknife.com

21 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

1683296716_CowboneNov2019.jpg.bcc63f0592ee21a368e4bcb9be724e09.jpg

I used the chop saw to wack the cow bone in two. Stunk!  Obviously too porous.  I'm going to give it back to nature.  B)

I would need to be stabilized first in a pressure pot.  

Archived