SASS Wire Forum

Need some Air Force help

Alpo

Can't find a picture but they are for securing the oxygen mask hose. The hose has a clip on it that clips to the leather triangles. The part of the triangle facing dow and outward is not sewn to the jacket.

I also believe that the headset wires may also clip to these tabs.

The picture is of a B-15A (MOD) jacket.

Looks like they didn't have em on the early models.  Dad in 44. He was pissed he was issued a B15 instead of the leather A2.

DadHelmet.thumb.jpg.40e414fe9dc8008347ae5bf7365b5b05.jpg

2 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

The jacket shown in the OP is the equivalent of some of our replica cowboy guns.  That is, it never existed originally, but is a cool looking mashup of old and new. 

It is a pretty good copy of an actual issued flight jacket. The B-15 was modified by adding the leather triangles, the snap loops near the armpits, and modifying the pencil pocket creating the B-15A. Early B-15 and B-15A jackets were cotton. Later ones were nylon.

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Looks like they didn't have em on the early models.  Dad in 44. He was pissed he was issued a B15 instead of the leather A2.

DadHelmet.thumb.jpg.40e414fe9dc8008347ae5bf7365b5b05.jpg

I showed this photo to my wife.   "He looks like such a rake!" she said. 

23 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I showed this photo to my wife.   "He looks like such a rake!" she said. 

That’s what mom said. :D

638EC319-379C-4E7C-972B-6A4DBCCF12B8.jpeg

16 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I read the “Need some Air Force help” as “send me a couple A-10s”

Bet that's what Custer musta thought!  He could have taken those Gatling guns with him, but they were mounted on a carriage pulled by condemned cavalry horses. Now if he had just had the Gatling gun mounted on that flying artillery wagon... Brrrrrp! :rolleyes:

On 11/20/2019 at 1:36 PM, Trailrider #896 said:

Bet that's what Custer musta thought!  He could have taken those Gatling guns with him, but they were mounted on a carriage pulled by condemned cavalry horses. Now if he had just had the Gatling gun mounted on that flying artillery wagon... Brrrrrp! :rolleyes:

Custer was a jackass who got a bunch of men killed on that little hill because of his arrogant incompetence.  Fool that he was, Washington already had his number. 

His superiors were embarrassed by him and sent him to the frontier so he would screw up and get killed.  Custer figured he could charge in, outnumbered again, and then, bask in the glory of it the rest of his life.  The Sioux had other plans.

Cat Brules

Well, as a former 7th cavalry officer having studied Custer’s career and the Little Bighorn battle at length for years, I hesitate to label him an incompetent jackass. That’s the general opinion primarily boosted by Hollywood for decades. He was certainly a flawed individual, rash and egotistical, but there are dozens of commanders in our past military history who were perhaps quite incompetent yet ended up being lauded as great leaders. There were many factors in play leading up to the battle. They all culminated in a perfect storm that cost the lives of a lot of brave men.  Many lessons were learned from it. Some have been heeded. Some not.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread. ;)

Archived