SASS Wire Forum

Your LATEST Firearm Acquisition???

What was the latest firearm you purchased or acquired?

This was mine.

I received this fine revolver in April, 2018. It replace a Model 17 that I had given to a good Army buddy of mine upon his retirement from the US Army.

Earlier in our military careers, my buddy and I were visiting an uncle of mine in the panhandle of Oklahoma. One of those days, we went hunting prairie dogs and I watched my buddy take my Model 17-3 and kill a prairie dog at a 97 paces (almost 100 yards). My buddy assumed a sitting position, two-handed hold, with arms resting on his knees. Shooting single-action, his first shot was just slightly high. The second shot hit the dog but didn't kill it and it started crawling back to its hole. His quick third shot dispatched the critter.

That was the best shooting exhibitions I have ever seen with a .22 LR revolver!! Ever since that day, my buddy had coveted my Model 17 and we often talked about that day he killed the prairie dog at 97 paces. So upon his retirement from the US Army, I gave my buddy my Model 17-3.

So after several years, I replaced the Model 17-3 with this fine Model 17-4.

S&W Model 17-4 "K22 Masterpiece" in .22 Long Rifle

72bRkR.jpg

cldIMa.jpg

This revolver is also a Tack Driver! It's much more accurate than I'm capable of shooting it.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Last month:

Glock 34

This month I purchased an S&W 63, but I do not have it yet. 

Pat, please post when your Model 63 arrives!!  Pictures please!!!

^_^

A few weeks ago I picked up a nice Springfield Trap door.Made in 1884.

Largo

A used pair of Ruger Bisley Vaquero's in .357 tuned by Jimmy Spurs, I got them from one of my Pards since he got New Vaquero's and won  2 Gift certificates from Jimmy Spurs for action jobs.

21 minutes ago, largo casey #19191 said:

A few weeks ago I picked up a nice Springfield Trap door.Made in 1884.

Largo

Likewise, but 1886 manufacture.

And a S&W MP-15 (just on principle).:P

31 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

A Browning Baby .25ACP. Have no practical use for it, but it's sooooo cute. :wub:

Mine probably traveled 250,000 miles in my pocket as my back up gun as a police detective. Like me it is honorably retired

In May, 2019, I visited one of those black gun/tactical stores looking for a folding knife for my granddaughter's High School graduation present.  Yeah she got lots of other girly stuff from her grandma, but I wanted to give her something just from me by myself.  This barely used .357 Blackhawk was buried in a display case of bottom feeders, looking like the girl sitting by herself at a school dance.   The story was the store took it in trade for some semi-auto thingy, and couldn't get rid of it.  They even dropped the price a bit for me because the tactical customers just are not interested in revolvers.  So, it came home with me.  I will buy the granddaughter a folding knife when she decides she wants one.  Some rescues have more priority.

Oh, it's a tack driver with .38 Special ammo, 158 grain bullet over 2.7 grains of Bullseye.  One cannot go far wrong with a classic load like that.

1653036704_RugerBlackhawk357copy.thumb.JPG.cba3935b529e1865378e7833e9790164.JPG

20 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

S & W M638 Airweight for concealed carry.

If you pocket carry it, be sure to keep the hammer track clear of pocket lint.

I took mine to the range one day - it had been living in my pocket for 6 or 8 months - and when I tried to shoot it it would not go bang.

Pocket-lint in the track, and the hammer would not go far enough back to work.

That could have been bad.

Earlier this year I picked up an old British Enfield revolver in 38 S&W.  It's the "Tanker" model that has the bobbed hammer and fires double action only.  Somebody chromed it so the collector value is gone but I can shoot it in the Great Wars Match my one club has for old military handguns.  

The very last one to arrive was a Remington V3 Sporter for trap.
Before that was a Henry Frontier... a very sweet 22LR rifle, indeed.

Here in the PRK, there is a 30 day wait between handguns.
I have 170 waiting days wasted in 2019.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

If you pocket carry it, be sure to keep the hammer track clear of pocket lint.

I took mine to the range one day - it had been living in my pocket for 6 or 8 months - and when I tried to shoot it it would not go bang.

Pocket-lint in the track, and the hammer would not go far enough back to work.

That could have been bad.

I will never carry any firearm in a pocket.

My good Friend of 34 years in SASS is B. B. McShagnasty # 452 and he was selling this unfired Navy Arms Winchester 1866 Rifle in 44-40 WCF. He bought it in a TEXAS Gun show back in 1987-88 and brought it home to So/Cal and stashed it in the back of a Safe. There it sat until he found it a few months ago, forgot he had it. I asked if I could buy it. It's still unfired and I'm thinking of selling or trading it for a 38-40 WCF I have 2 Colt's SAA's from 1900 and 1 Colt Bisley from 1902 in that caliber. Also 2 Winchester 1892's and 1 Colt Lightning pump Rifle in .38-40 WCF.from 1890. It would be nice if all were the same caliber. 

Win 1866 44-40 WCF oct.jpg

IMG_2020.JPG

IMG_2024.JPG

IMG_2264.JPG

Last fall I bought a nice old Smith DA  because J-Bar has gotten me interested in indoor target shooting.

My life has been in a bit of a turmoil so J-Bar will have to tell you what Model I bought.

4 hours ago, Noz said:

Last fall I bought a nice old Smith DA  because J-Bar has gotten me interested in indoor target shooting.

My life has been in a bit of a turmoil so J-Bar will have to tell you what Model I bought.

S&W model 15-something, 4 inch barrel.  You got it at a good price at a gun show in Springfield, and you shot some fine groups with it at Irish Tom’s range (Sound Of Freedom in Ozark, MO).

Sequential pair of Uberti Cattleman revolvers in 38-40.  No pictures yet.

Next want is a Colt Combat Elite Commander in 9mm, to go with the Commander I've got in 45 ACP.  

This COLT 1851 NAVY ULYSSES S GRANT COMMEMORATIVE followed me home Sunday.  Was at an estate auction - It is 36 Caliber; 99-100% blue, excellent bore, walnut grips have some finish work needed from handling, 7.5'' barrel, Original blued finish barrel and engraved gold leaf filled cylinder, casehardened frame, loading lever, hammer and trigger, silver plated trigger guard and backstrap, and never fired.

1851-1.jpg1851-2.jpg1851-3.jpg

13 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

How do you like it? Did it need any smithing?

Right now, I've only got about 100 rounds through it. I had a couple of failure to feeds, but disassembled and did a good clean and lube, and seems to be functioning fine. I haven't done anything to it, right out of the box.

Archived