SASS Wire Forum

Anyone have experience with electric cars?

Alpo

The guy in the story is driving a Tesla.

He hit the ignition and the engine vibrated into life.

That sentence pulled me out of the story, since I would expect an electric car "motor" (motors are electrical, engines are mechanical) would not vibrate.

Do they?

More exactly, a  motor is anything that provides motive force. And engine has moving parts and provides motive force.  Take for example model rockets. We usually call the solid propellant propulsion system an "engine" but it is actually a motor because it has no moving parts.   

Re the Tesla. I have ridden in one owned by a coworker.  There is no "igniton," just an ON/OFF switch.  There was no noticeable vibration. 

No on the engine and vibration. The Tesla’s I’ve been in have virtually no road noise either, even at over 100mph.

The drive motor(s) don't start turning until the driver shifts into gear and pushes down on the accelerator pedal.

The drive motors are big DC servo motors. Speed of the motor is controlled via Pulse Width Modulation

Because the motors have very tight tolerances and can turn at very high RPMs, they are well balanced and do not have any appreciable vibration. Almost all of the vibraton while in motion comes from the tires and wheels and not the drive motors.

All the ignition switch/botton does is apply power to the computers that control everything.

When turned on my car boots up and dash/radio come on.  It makes noise as it’s doing it to let you know it turned on.  Then when you put it in drive it makes noise up to about 20 mph per federal law.   It’s a white noise and quite annoying, but no way to turn it off.  

electric cars still have road noise and wind noise.   They also have some gear whine as there is a gearbox.  They are not silent. I have not ridden in a tesla, but I assume the higher end s and x are quieter.   

On 11/19/2019 at 2:23 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

The drive motor(s) don't start turning until the driver shifts into gear and pushes down on the accelerator pedal.

The drive motors are big DC servo motors. Speed of the motor is controlled via Pulse Width Modulation

Because the motors have very tight tolerances and can turn at very high RPMs, they are well balanced and do not have any appreciable vibration. Almost all of the vibraton while in motion comes from the tires and wheels and not the drive motors.

All the ignition switch/botton does is apply power to the computers that control everything.

At speeds in excess of 100mph part of the vibration is the passenger beating on his door, wanting out.

1 minute ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Is it true that to replace a battery costs a small fortune ?

Given that all EV and Hybrids vehicles sold in the US have at least a 100,000 mile warranty, by the time it needs replacing it is usually more than the car is worth.

How Much is a Replacement Chevy Bolt EV Electric Car Battery

What’s a Fair Price For A Toyota Prius Battery Replacement And What Are the Options?

My Hybrid Battery Died - Should I Repair or Suffer Replacement Costs?

14 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Given that all EV and Hybrids vehicles sold in the US have at least a 100,000 mile warranty, by the time it needs replacing it is usually more than the car is worth.

How Much is a Replacement Chevy Bolt EV Electric Car Battery

What’s a Fair Price For A Toyota Prius Battery Replacement And What Are the Options?

My Hybrid Battery Died - Should I Repair or Suffer Replacement Costs?

Howdy SD.....so the car is virtually a throw away item...what a scam for a replacement battery..I saw in the paper here the other day where a guys battery failed at 100,00 km [ only 62,00 mile ]..he was quoted $ 30,000AU for another. !!!!!!!!!!!!!1

7 hours ago, Still hand Bill said:

When turned on my car boots up and dash/radio come on.  It makes noise as it’s doing it to let you know it turned on.  Then when you put it in drive it makes noise up to about 20 mph per federal law.   It’s a white noise and quite annoying, but no way to turn it off.  

electric cars still have road noise and wind noise.   They also have some gear whine as there is a gearbox.  They are not silent. I have not ridden in a tesla, but I assume the higher end s and x are quieter.   

A Tesla has no gearbox and road noise is nearly non existent.

5 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Is it true that to replace a battery costs a small fortune ?

My son in law that’s three years older than me bought a Honda Civic hybrid back when they first came out. The batteries had a defect and were replaced free of charge at around 60,000 miles and that was about 230,000 miles ago. He still drives the car though not as much because he’s retired now. My wife had a Prius hybrid with over 200,00 miles and the only battery that was ever changed was the 12 volt battery that ran the starter and such.

Fence Cutter,

You beat me to it.

We (4 young boys in the family) had the same (or nearly the same) set up.

Each year for Christmas, we would get a few more pieces of track.   Eventually, we had a track that covered an

entire ping-pong table with curves and even a  circle up & down section.  Impressive to say the least.

There are times I can still sense the smell of the oil we used as it would 'burn' (evaporate) when the cars

flew around the track.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

A Tesla has no gearbox and road noise is nearly non existent.

All electric cars have a gearbox of some sort.  Not a transmission like we are used to, but they don’t run the motor directly attached to the wheel, so there are gears.   The Tesla uses big helical cut gears instead of straight cut gears to reduce noise.   With enough insulation you probably don’t hear the road noise or gear noise, but it’s still there.  Just like riding is a top level bmw, they are very quiet.  

3 minutes ago, Still hand Bill said:

All electric cars have a gearbox of some sort.  Not a transmission like we are used to, but they don’t run the motor directly attached to the wheel, so there are gears.   The Tesla uses big helical cut gears instead of straight cut gears to reduce noise.   With enough insulation you probably don’t hear the road noise or gear noise, but it’s still there.  Just like riding is a top level bmw, they are very quiet.  

Gearbox/transmission semantics I suppose. The Tesla has no transmission but you are correct there is a helical gear system at each wheel. They are incredibly quiet.

Interesting factoid, what they don't tell you about electric cars is that they operate on high voltage.  It takes special training on the part of rescue workers to know where and how to cut you out of one so as to not get electrocuted.  If the rescue team were to go in and start hacking around with the jaws of life like they do on engine powered cars, they could hit a live wire(s).  You don't want to be messing around under the hood of an electric car.

4 minutes ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

Interesting factoid, what they don't tell you about electric cars is that they operate on high voltage.  It takes special training on the part of rescue workers to know where and how to cut you out of one so as to not get electrocuted.  If the rescue team were to go in and start hacking around with the jaws of life like they do on engine powered cars, they could hit a live wire(s).  You don't want to be messing around under the hood of an electric car.

Under the hood is a “frunk”, frontloading trunk. In that trunk is a high voltage wire that rescue crews cut to safely access the rest of the car.

0295CEA4-C3D4-4EC0-8940-2FCD15F78DD3.jpeg

81F38F0D-310C-4982-8644-03D20847069D.jpeg

The high voltage line to cut is marked on the car.  On my Bolt it’s under the hood and the volt is in the trunk.  It’s about 500v and they do that to reduce the current required to achieve the needed power levels.  V=Ir.  Power = Volt x Amps.   

supposedly the semi is around 800v.  

5 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Under the hood is a “frunk”, frontloading trunk. In that trunk is a high voltage wire that rescue crews cut to safely access the rest of the car.

0295CEA4-C3D4-4EC0-8940-2FCD15F78DD3.jpeg

81F38F0D-310C-4982-8644-03D20847069D.jpeg

Cool pics.   I had not seen what the storage space looks like.   I was told the high voltage thing by one of our engineers years ago when the Prius first came out and the wires were not specifically identified.

I've been wondering how the people in Kalifornia have been liking their electric cars with the rolling black outs.  How do they re-charge their cars?

1 minute ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

Cool pics.   I had not seen what the storage space looks like.   I was told the high voltage thing by one of our engineers years ago when the Prius first came out and the wires were not specifically identified.

I've been wondering how the people in Kalifornia have been liking their electric cars with the rolling black outs.  How do they re-charge their cars?

Most electric car owners that I know have a back up “evil” fossil fuels car. My granddaughter charges her car at work, they have a huge solar array and over 100 charging stations and they don’t charge for it. She doesn’t even have a charge station at her home. She better hope she never loses her job.

4 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Fence Cutter,

You beat me to it.

We (4 young boys in the family) had the same (or nearly the same) set up.

Each year for Christmas, we would get a few more pieces of track.   Eventually, we had a track that covered an

entire ping-pong table with curves and even a  circle up & down section.  Impressive to say the least.

There are times I can still sense the smell of the oil we used as it would 'burn' (evaporate) when the cars

flew around the track.

..........Widder

The good 'ol days when a guy really looked forward to Christmas .........

3 hours ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

Honda generator in the trunk? :D

Archived